[comp.sys.amiga] Munch and VT100

ugpete@sunybcs (Peter Theobald) (02/19/88)

<It's better to burn out... than to fade away!> The Kurgen

I just downloaded munch. It's the program that gulps whenever a disk is
inserted, and yuchs whenever a disk is removed. It won't work when I'm using
VT100. They both want the audio.device. If I run VT100 first, munch exits
with the message: 'can't open audio device.' If I run munch first, VT100
somehow disables munch (or at least it's sound).
	I thought there was supposed to be more than 1 channel on the audio
device. Are all programs 'hogs' with the audio device? Is there any way to
have these programs share? Is there no end to my questions?
	-Pete

Peter Theobald				SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
internet: ugpete@cs.buffalo.edu		bitnet: ugpete@sunybcs.BITNET
uucp: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugpete
csnet:	ugpete@buffalo.CSNET

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (02/20/88)

In article <8654@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:

>I just downloaded munch. It's the program that gulps whenever a disk is
>inserted, and yuchs whenever a disk is removed. It won't work when I'm using
>VT100. They both want the audio.device. If I run VT100 first, munch exits
>with the message: 'can't open audio device.' If I run munch first, VT100
>somehow disables munch (or at least it's sound).
>	I thought there was supposed to be more than 1 channel on the audio
>device. Are all programs 'hogs' with the audio device? Is there any way to
>have these programs share? Is there no end to my questions?
>	-Pete
>

>Peter Theobald				SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
>internet: ugpete@cs.buffalo.edu		bitnet: ugpete@sunybcs.BITNET
>uucp: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugpete
>csnet:	ugpete@buffalo.CSNET

When I first heard about muncho I was excited since this is just the
kind of neat thing my computer should be doing. I then read the documentation
and was disappointed to learn that the program fails to release all of
its memory when killed (my test showed it stole 9048 bytes each time).
Now I know that you probably would not kill a program like this but if
you did it would be to temporarily release some memory (at least that's
why I would do it). If this was the case then I don't want 9K hanging
around. This problem and the one mentioned in the included article
has prompted my posting.

Anyway, to the point of this article.

I want to run this program but not in its current state (I also run vt100
at times). So, is it possible to get the source for this ??
I don't remember the authors name at the moment and wanted to ask
before I forgot about it. If I can get the source I will try to fix these
problems if I can find the time. If not then I thank the author for the
idea and I will write a version for myself sometime.

				Bret

usenet:  ihnp4!pur-ee!youngb
ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.UUCP

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (02/23/88)

The author of Muncho, Andrew Werth, is a student here at CMU.  He has
an updated version of the program;  he should be sending it to the
apropriate newsgroups soon.  I'll see if I can coerce him into
talking to everyone here.

From what he told me, the original Muncho was very dumb about its
memory management of the buffer to hold the digitized sounds;  it
merely grabbed a large block of memory and hoped the sound would fit.
It is now much better about the way it deals with memory.  I'll leave
him to tell you the details.

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"little things remind me of you...cheap cologne and that damn song too!"
		--The Flirts, "Jukebox"