[comp.sys.amiga] Call for new IFF format

FVEST@AUDUCVAX.BITNET (02/10/88)

Developers:

Before thing get too out of hand (if they're not already), why
not a standardized format for word processor files.  Word
Perfect files can't be read by ProWrite, which can't be read by
VizaWrite, which can't be read by TextCraft, and so on ad nauseum.

A word processing IFF file standard read/write could be added to new
releases of existing software to maintain upward and cross-system
compatibility.  New software would hopefully follow the standard.

Anybody have any ideas, or is this a PIPE: dream?

Floyd Vest
Auburn University
FVEST@AUDUCVAX.bitnet

cthulhu@athena.mit.edu (Jim Reich) (02/11/88)

In article <8802100718.AA23834@jade.berkeley.edu> FVEST@AUDUCVAX.BITNET writes:

>A word processing IFF file standard read/write could be added to new
>releases of existing software to maintain upward and cross-system
>compatibility.  New software would hopefully follow the standard.

I believe there is already at least one IFF text format -- I think it's called
FORM (I'm not real sure about this -- just seem to remember seeing it sometime)
and it handles formatted text with multiple fonts, etc.  Why does no
one support it?  I don't know.  I have yet to hear of anyone using it.
The only real reasons I can see are:
	<1> Nobody ever put out much of a support library for it
   	     (perhaps if someone did, developers would start using it -- free
	      code is always a good incentive...)
	<2> It's more than some programs need -- WordPerfect doesn't need
	      color and fonts, and I suppose they might not want to waste
	      memory...
	<3> It's less than other programs need -- I don't think it supports
	      text overlayed/wrapped around graphics like ProWrite.

Aren't standards great!  Has anyone actually used this?  It would be really
nice if there was at least an IFF text cut and paste to the clipboard...
but no one uses that either...

							-- Jim

In article <2886@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> cthulhu@athena.mit.edu (Jim Reich) writes:
>In article <8802100718.AA23834@jade.berkeley.edu> FVEST@AUDUCVAX.BITNET writes:
>>
>>A word processing IFF file standard read/write could be added to new
>>releases of existing software to maintain upward and cross-system
>>compatibility.  New software would hopefully follow the standard.
>
>I believe there is already at least one IFF text format -- I think it's called
>FORM (I'm not real sure about this -- just seem to remember seeing it sometime)

Incorrect. The Word processor IFF FORM (in IFF most things are FORMs or Chunks)
is called WORD and it is used in Prowrite by New Horizon Software.  It is fully
described in the September/October AmigaMail, on BIX and on the latest IFF
disk available from Commodore CATS.  If you are interested in proposing new
IFF formats, I advise you to contact Carolyn Scheppner of CATS, which handles
the IFF registration, etc..

-- Marco

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (02/12/88)

> Developers:

> Before thing get too out of hand (if they're not already), why
> not a standardized format for word processor files.  Word
> Perfect files can't be read by ProWrite, which can't be read by
> VizaWrite, which can't be read by TextCraft, and so on ad nauseum.

As I recall, both ProWrite and TextCraft+ use IFF forms for their data.
TextCraft+ uses the original FTXT form, same as the Amiga clipboard uses.
ProWrite uses a form called WORD, which is apparently more powerful than
FTXT.  WordPerfect would certainly be expected to read/write WordPerfect
format, same as what's on the IBM, Atari, or UNIX version of WP.

As for the others, who knows.  It would be real nice is folks could get
together on this, even if they only agree to all have a read/write option
at the FTXT level.  For sound, a good portion of the programs can handle
SMUS and the sampled form (8SVX?), even if they have a higher power form
of their own.

--
Dave Haynie  "The B2000 Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {ihnp4|uunet|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (02/12/88)

In article <3310@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>. . .format, same as what's on the IBM, Atari, or UNIX version of WP.
                                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Egads!!!  Is this beastie for real?!

FVEST@AUDUCVAX.BITNET (02/13/88)

>In article <6887@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>In article <8802100718.AA23834@jade.berkeley.edu> I write:

>>A word processing IFF file standard...
>>...New software would hopefully follow the standard.

>... The Word processor IFF FORM  is called WORD  ... If you are interested in
>proposing new IFF formats, I advise you to contact Carolyn Scheppner of CATS,
>which handles the IFF registration, etc..

(hmmm...is that MY flesh I smell burning?)

Didn't know the animal existed.  Maybe my subject should have been:  Call for
developers to follow the standards that already exist. :-)

Floyd Vest
Auburn University
FVEST@AUDUCVAX.bitnet

In article <1724@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
>In article <3310@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>>. . .format, same as what's on the IBM, Atari, or UNIX version of WP.
>
>Egads!!!  Is this beastie for real?!

Yep, and it works great.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170

val@wsccs.UUCP (Val Kartchner) (02/23/88)

> > Before thing get too out of hand (if they're not already), why
> > not a standardized format for word processor files.  Word
> > Perfect files can't be read by ProWrite, which can't be read by
> > VizaWrite, which can't be read by TextCraft, and so on ad nauseum.

  Could someone send me the latest (complete?) IFF specification with source
  code.  I'm especially interested in the ILBM format.
			Thanks in advance,
--
     /\/\  .    /\     |  Val Kartchner  {UT@WSC}  |  This space