[comp.sys.amiga] Some ideas for KS/WB 1.3

kkaempf@rmi.UUCP (Klaus Kaempf) (01/22/88)

I hope it's not too late for the following ...

- REPEATGADGET: An additional gadget flag that will result
  in several "GADGETDOWN"-messages, as long, as the user
  keeps the left mouse button pressed, then a single
  "GADGETUP". This can easily be implemented even now, but
  it would be nicer to have it in the ROMs. (Don't repeat
  a second time until replied, use KeyRptDelay/KeyRptSpeed.)

- AmigaDOS/NFS: Provide an official way of dismounting
  AmigaDOS-devices. This way you could finally use the
  "disk.resource"'s "AllocUnit()", even after the DOS is up
  & running, for example to implement a new device that uses
  "GCR" instead of "MFM" and then use it for a particular
  disk unit. Right now the "trackdisk.device" cannot
  "FreeUnit()", because the DOS won't ever "CloseDevice()".

- Make "MODE_OLDFILE" read-only, even if this will certainly
  break lots of programs. It is the only function holding a
  shared read-lock on a file, that can be written to! (Try
  it yourself: several applications can open a single file
  with READONLY and ALL OF THEM can write to it at the same
  time!) This is probably a holdover from pre-1.2 when there
  was no "MODE_READWRITE". 1.3 should enforce the synonym
  "MODE_READONLY"!

- Fix the "TD_REMCHANGEINT"-bug. Right now it uses the same
  node-structure for both IORequest-queueing and linking the
  chain. So the list is already destroyed, if the
  device-handler tries to execute the REMOVE-macro.

- European PAL-machines sometimes behave like NTSC-versions
  in providing only 200 lines (non-interlaced). This bug
  occurs once in about 80 reboot-cycles. (BTW: We'll ALWAYS
  have to cope with this "double-mouse" at line ~223).

Take your time and make 1.3 the best OS ever!

!ralph

       Ralph Babel | sys64824
       Falkenweg 3 | (!#X3F0001)()
D-6204 Taunusstein | (**((void (**)(void))0xfc0004))();

: Make "MODE_OLDFILE" read-only, even if this will certainly
: break lots of programs. It is the only function holding a
: shared read-lock on a file, that can be written to! (Try
: it yourself: several applications can open a single file
: with READONLY and ALL OF THEM can write to it at the same
: time!) This is probably a holdover from pre-1.2 when there
: was no "MODE_READWRITE". 1.3 should enforce the synonym
: "MODE_READONLY"!

	It will break just about every program in existance.  I would also
like to point out that some of us may *want* to have several programs writing
the same file at the same time, or one program writing while another is
reading.  A better thing to do would be to add a new mode that is READ with
an exclusive lock.

				-Matt

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (01/26/88)

OK, I got one...

I want to click on a drag bar, on any window, in any screen.  Now that
I have the mouse button held down, I want to cycle through all my
screens.  Maybe use left-amiga-space or something, so I can do it with
one hand.  While I'm cycling through the screens, the window I'm
"dragging" stays on top of everything.  Finally, I find the screen I'm
interested in and let go of the mouse button.

The window I was holding (dragging) now gets an IDCMP NEWSCREEN
message, and the application can look at the ScreenData so it can
configure itself accordingly .. number of colors, etc.

Essentially I want to move any window to any screen.

Yeah, I KNOW how Intuition, custom screens, layers and the copper
work, and I know it would be a bitch.  But I still want it.

..Bob

PS Oh yeah, did I say it has to be backwards-compatible?  :-)
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

>	Whilst on the subject of PAL screens - Matt in DME why do you go to the
>bother of using GetScreenData and then limit the size of DME's window to 640 by
>200. I used just to patch the binary to give me 672 by 265. I use an alias now
>since you've changed the way you open the initial window. However, I am a DME
>worshipper so I can cope with any good reason.

	Only when it opens the window, and that can be overriden.  You can
resize the window to whatever you want, of course.  There is a REASON for
this!  It is so people don't get into the habit of writing text files which
are wider than a standard window... that when they DO such a thing they
*know* they are doing it.

					-Matt

jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) (01/28/88)

    An idea to make life easier for novice users of the system....

     Include an AUTOFORMAT flag in the OS.  When this flag is set to 1,
have the system automatically format the disk, if the Disk-Validator marks
the disk as BAD.  Possibly better, would be a system requester saying
"Disk in drive dfx: is BAD...format?" with the usual OK/Cancel gadget..
OK in this case meaning "yes, format the disk" and Cancel meaning "NO, do
NOT format".  This would make life a lot easier and faster for newer users,
all they'd have to do would be to insert a blank disk and the system would
automatically format it, or format it after the user clicks OK.

     This would be Preferences-selectable, of course, and really wouldn't
add that much to the OS, since all it would have to do is wait around for
a DISKCHANGE signal, wait for Disk-Validator to do it's thing, then pop a
requester according to the signal returned.  If the requester gets popped,
then upon the OK click just Execute() the FORMAT command.  Most of the code
is already IN the Workbench...just a matter of tying it together.

     Related ideas:  An EXPERT gadget in Preferences, that if it was clicked
ON, would cause the system to never come up in Workbench, always in CLI.
(Yes, yes, I know...just delete LoadWB from startup-sequence...remember, we're
talking novices here)  This would allow for handier use of the system..after all, it's for things like this that Preferences was designed FOR, no?
The above could be implemented by having TWO startup-sequences..and either a
bit of renaming, OR having the system look for the appropriate one after

Anyway, just some ideas, dust in the wind...Thought I'd toss 'em out, and
see if anyone sneezed....8->

John

--

0-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-> All disclaimers apply; I didn't write this <-=-=-=-=-=-0
|                   ------------------|-----------------------             |

jesup@pawl15.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (01/28/88)

In article <8801251900.AA00551@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
>> Make "MODE_OLDFILE" read-only, even if this will certainly
>> break lots of programs. It is the only function holding a

>	It will break just about every program in existance.  I would also
>like to point out that some of us may *want* to have several programs writing
>the same file at the same time, or one program writing while another is
>reading.  A better thing to do would be to add a new mode that is READ with
>an exclusive lock.
>				-Matt

	I would prefer a MODE_REALREADONLY or somesuch that REALLY would not
let you write, but would let you read even if another program was writing
to it (we HAVE both exclusive and shared locks already, let's use them).
And of course, MODE_SAFEREAD, which doesn't allow others to write to it while
you're reading (as you suggested); and a variant on it, MODE_SAFEREADONLY,
which allows you to safely read ala mode_saferead, but doesn't allow YOU to
write either.

	These MODE_(SAFE)READONLY commands gives you a bit more safety when
reusing code that accesses important files.  They may not be strictly
neccesary, but they reduce the chance of trouble from poorly-written or buggy
code, or in things where the user could do very dangerous things because of
the tools provided (interpreters are a good example).

	The MODE_SAFEREAD really is needed.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

lupin3@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (01/29/88)

+-In article <2293@gryphon.CTS.COM>, jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) wrote:-
+----------

|      Include an AUTOFORMAT flag in the OS.  When this flag is set to 1,
| have the system automatically format the disk, if the Disk-Validator marks
| the disk as BAD.  Possibly better, would be a system requester saying
| "Disk in drive dfx: is BAD...format?" with the usual OK/Cancel gadget..

+----------

  System requester would be fine; I wouldn't want ANYTHING to auto-format disks;
what if it "thinks" it's a bad disk but it isn't (it's something you're going to
DiskDoctor or something)?  Wouldn't even be too hard for C= to put in; just
wedge it in there good and hard...

+----------

|      Related ideas:  An EXPERT gadget in Preferences, that if it was clicked
			  ^^^^^^
| ON, would cause the system to never come up in Workbench, always in CLI.
| (Yes, yes, I know...just delete LoadWB from startup-sequence...remember, we're
| talking novices here)
	  ^^^^^^^

+----------

  Huh?  Make an "EXPERT" mode for "Novices"?  If they can't use CLI enough to
edit their startup-sequence, then they don't deserve to be in CLI all the time.
Wouldn't be good for 'em...
  Anyways, this doesn't have to be in Preferences; you could just write a
program that opens the startup-sequence, reads it, and writes it back with
everything but the line "LoadWB".  It'd be a snap to write, then you just make
an icon for it and put it on the boot workbench.

+----------

| | "I am the Entertainer,              |  John Mesiavech                    |
| |  Another serenader,                 | {anywhere}!cadovax!gryphon!jdm     |

+----------

--
.. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .           . .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .           .
   /\\\  |   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: lupin3@ucscb.ucsc.EDU         /\\ \\\ L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_\ (_ || )(_)_\UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lupin3

[Sorry John but this one really cracked me up, presented is an example of
 why one should read their own postings before typeing 'send' or whatever]

In article <2293@gryphon.CTS.COM> (John Mesiavech) writes:
>     Include an AUTOFORMAT flag in the OS.  When this flag is set to 1,
>have the system automatically format the disk, if the Disk-Validator marks
>the disk as BAD.

Serious note here :  Yuck City! What if you stick the only copy of your
copy protected game into a drive (which is not a DOS disk because it
was designed to be Bootable) and the validator reformats for you? Poof!
And the novice user can only assume that since the system is offering to
help it must be the right thing to do. No, this is not a good idea in my
opinion.

>     Related ideas:  An EXPERT gadget in Preferences, that if it was clicked
>ON, would cause the system to never come up in Workbench, always in CLI.
>(Yes, yes, I know...just delete LoadWB from startup-sequence...remember, we're
>talking novices here)  This would allow for handier use of the system...

So why would a NOVICE click on the EXPERT gadget ? I say leave it as it is,
consider it one of the steps of enlightenment. When you can start the machine
and not have it go into workbench, then you will be ready grasshopper.

>Anyway, just some ideas, dust in the wind...Thought I'd toss 'em out, and
>see if anyone sneezed....8->

Ahhhhhhhh-Choooo!
:-) :-) :-)

--Chuck McManis

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (01/29/88)

In article <2293@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:
>     Include an AUTOFORMAT flag in the OS.  When this flag is set to 1,
>have the system automatically format the disk, if the Disk-Validator marks
>the disk as BAD.

   Puleeese no... the first time I pop a toasted disk into my drive (say
from some other computer, or just fails validataion) the data would go away.
   If that ever happens, I will find whoever got C=A to put that idea in and
I *won't* buy them a beer :-)

   I agree, however, it would be nice to have some basic program (say
workbench) automatically ask if I want a "bad" disk formatted when I pop
it in the drive... but there also has to be a way to shut that feature
off if I have a program that wants to experiment with it's own data
encoding format.

>     Related ideas:  An EXPERT gadget in Preferences, that if it was clicked
>ON, would cause the system to never come up in Workbench, always in CLI.

   If one wants CLI, they might as well learn CLI commands -- I could see
this idea causing major confusion the first time a novice click it on to
see what would happen then reboots.  Now workbench dosen't come up, and
they can't get to preferences the way they did before... now they are really
lost...

>Anyway, just some ideas, dust in the wind...Thought I'd toss 'em out, and
>see if anyone sneezed....8->

   Achoo. :-)

   Seriously though, some good ideas, but isn't the idea of making a computer
for a novice to make it so "dumb" actions don't cause damage? (ie. to limit
the the abilities of a machine to "safe" ones?)

-- Pat White
UUCP: k.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM   PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (02/02/88)

In article <2293@gryphon.CTS.COM> jdm@gryphon.CTS.COM (John Mesiavech) writes:

>Possibly better, would be a system requester saying
>"Disk in drive dfx: is BAD...format?" with the usual OK/Cancel gadget..
>OK in this case meaning "yes, format the disk" and Cancel meaning "NO, do
>NOT format".

Ala Macintosh, you mean?  This would be an okay idea if, and ONLY if,
the FORMAT command resided in Workbench space, rather than being an
external command.  I already believe this to be a good idea - format,
info, and diskcopy are, currently, the only Workbench standard operations
that require you to re-insert your Workbench disk, if it has been removed,
except for those commands that actually do writes to the Workbench disk
itself, such as snapshot.  I would MUCH prefer to see all of the
Workbench menu commands operate without disk changes, and since the next
release of Workbench supposedly all resides in a library anyhow, why not
just make the library a little bit bigger, for the sake of greatly
improved convenience?

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

ali@rocky.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (02/04/88)

In article <644@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>>Possibly better, would be a system requester saying
>>"Disk in drive dfx: is BAD...format?" with the usual OK/Cancel gadget..
>Ala Macintosh, you mean? ...

I just overheard yesterday how this one guy lost a month's worth of work
when he replied "OK" to the "disk is unreadable... initialize?" question...
Sounded like he just thought the Mac was going to "initialize" the disk
(whatever that might mean to a person who just word-processes and hasn't
bothered to read or find out anything about the machine)
as opposed to "totally erase and get rid of everything on it." Well now he
knows, I guess, but he didn't sound too happy telling this to his friend.
The friend sounded more knowledgable --- he asked about backups --- and the
first guy had no idea what those were...

Anyway, the automatic "format?" question is nice when you put in a brand new
disk (or a non-Amiga disk), but for corrupted floppies it should not replace
the "disk is corrupted --- use DISKDOCTOR" requester. Or if it does, it should
be clear that the operation will totally get rid of every file on the disk.
Otherwise you'll always get some people who, like the above person, totally
manage to destroy their disk with a single click of the mouse.

-----
On another note --- in my previous message I mentioned "DigiAdaptor" and
said it digitizes stuff from a VCR --- just so that people don't get the
wrong idea: You still need DigiView. And that's all I know about it! But I'd
like to find out more, if anyone knows more...
-----

Ali Ozer, ali@rocky.stanford.edu

kent@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Kent Paul Dolan) (02/04/88)

While we're on the subject, it would be nothing short of wonderful if
the requesters that currently come up and say you can't access a
resource would tell you what resource and why.  It does me little good
to tell me a file is tied up if I can't figure out why.  A systematic
review of the requestors to assure that each is providing the maximum
available amount of useful information is in order.

Kent, the man from xanth.

kkaempf@rmi.UUCP (Klaus Kaempf) (02/13/88)

Sizing a window that is currently not active (calling
"SizeWindow()" after receiving an "INACTIVEWINDOW", for
example) causes the "NEWSIZE" message to be sent to the
window that's currently active. Just thought someone might
find this interesting (especially C-A ...)

!ralph

anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) (02/19/88)

Here are my 2 cents on the subject. I'd like to see the active window change
colors. I mean when I have 3 or more windows sitting around, it just isn't
enough that all except one ar grayed out. So I invariably type into the
wrong window sooner, or later We have colors on the amiga don't we, just
because that's the way the Mac does it doesn't mean we have to do it that
way!

 Hmmm! Maye this could even be done by some sort of setfunction thingy?
I'm afraid I don't know enough about WorkBench/Intuition to say whether
it's possible or not.

 Well is it possible? And even more important , is it a good idea? Would it
break any existing programs?

Maybe something like this already exists, and I just don't know about it yet...

	Frank
--

	Frank Anthes-Harper
Usenet: ....!ucbvax!decvax!uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!anthes

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (02/23/88)

In article <200@geocub.UUCP> anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) writes:
>I'd like to see the active window change colors.

I've always thought (from the first time I saw the Workbench running)
that the CLI windows should have a different background color than the
WB's background.  That would really set the window apart from the rest
of the screen.  How about merging these two ideas?  Only the currently
selected CLI window has a different background color?......Hmmmm.......

Now if the new dropcloth worked reliably, I could have it change the
screen's background color and I'd be happy!  But it does seem to have
a few problems........oh well....

>just because that's the way the Mac does it doesn't mean we have to
>do it that way!

Absolutely!

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science