[comp.sys.amiga] 2090 SCSI driver needed

tdwest@orchid.waterloo.edu (Terry D. West) (02/16/88)

I have a 2090 card and the SCSI port is currently unused.  I am looking
for the source for a driver which would use the SCSI card, as I don't
really feel like reinventing the wheel.  I have written SCSI drivers
before, but I don't know the nitty gritties of how to talk to the 2090
card's registers and such.

Along these lines, is there any REAL programmer's documentation on the 2090?
It would be nice to know how to use it properly, as the driver I end up
with will have to support arbitration and reselection, and be able to
act as initiator or target.

The destined application is the ability to use the amiga as a resource
server to a smaller 68000 based project, as well as a simple network
link between amigas.

Anyone? (or is this going to be one of those
	  never-replied-to nobody's-interested ones)

Terry West
4B CS/EEE
University of Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
watmath!orchid!tdwest

spencer@eris (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) (02/18/88)

Recently on *comp.sys.amiga* tdwest@orchid.waterloo.edu (Terry D. West) wrote:
...I have a 2090 card and the SCSI port is currently unused.  I am looking
...for the source for a driver which would use the SCSI card, as I don't
...Along these lines, is there any REAL programmer's documentation on the 2090?
...It would be nice to know how to use it properly, as the driver I end up
...with will have to support arbitration and reselection, and be able to
...act as initiator or target.

...Terry West

This is a good point.  Commodore has given us all a SCSI standard to
ralley around (like the Mac did, but not quite as forcefully), but there
is no documentation.  If I want to hook a streaming tape backup to it
how do I do it?  Commodore is not going to spend the time to do it, but
some company in need of less return on investment or some individual
in greater need of streaming tape backup might.  But there is no document-
ation.  Look at all the products that attach to the Mac through it's SCSI
port, all those could be used on the Amiga, but not unless we get the "in"
we need on the 2090 board.  How 'bout video tape back up?

Also, the idea of SCSI disconnect and reconnect, and acting as initiator
or target is something the guys at C-Ltd (are they still around ? :')
have been working on.  The most recent rev of their software allows you
to call your Amiga by different unit numbers so they also have software
available that does LAN stuff over the SCSI net.  I have a part of that
running on my machines (have 3 amigas and 1 hard disk).  I am also waiting
for DNET to support the mounting of remote file systems as well as this
neat UnixWindows stuff it does now ( don't want to get into praising all
the things DNET does... ).

Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (02/23/88)

> or target is something the guys at C-Ltd (are they still around ? :')
> have been working on.  The most recent rev of their software allows you
> to call your Amiga by different unit numbers so they also have software
> available that does LAN stuff over the SCSI net.  I have a part of that
> running on my machines (have 3 amigas and 1 hard disk).

	Well this is certainly interesting. I'd like to hear more about
this!

	Does anybody know more about this?

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Was an Amiga, now an AT, ACK! BARF!)