[comp.sys.amiga] 8SVX

jk3n+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Stephen Kalucki) (02/07/88)

I want to make Sonix instruments out of Perfect Sound data files. The formats
are slightly incompatable, but I understand that there is a program called
8SVX (or something similar) that will do this for me automatically. I have
been looking for this program for quite some time, but to no avail. I remember
seeing the source to this program distributed a while ago, but I didn't save a
copy of it.

Any help will be appreciated. Source or binary is acceptable, I have a
compiler and ftp access...

Thanks in advance:

				-John Kalucki
				jk3n@andrew.cmu.edu

KENCHIU@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (02/08/88)

In article <4W2sR4y00WA5z1Y04D@andrew.cmu.edu>, jk3n+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Stephen Kalucki) writes:
>I want to make Sonix instruments out of Perfect Sound data files.

Is the format of Sonix instruments available?  I don't have it, but it would
certainly be a reason not to buy it if I couldn't use other sample formats.

carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) (02/18/88)

In article <4W2sR4y00WA5z1Y04D@andrew.cmu.edu> jk3n+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Stephen Kalucki) writes:

>I want to make Sonix instruments out of Perfect Sound data files. The formats
>are slightly incompatable, but I understand that there is a program called
>8SVX (or something similar) that will do this for me automatically. I have
>been looking for this program for quite some time, but to no avail. I remember
>seeing the source to this program distributed a while ago, but I didn't save a
>copy of it.

I do not know what format Perfect Sound uses.  I believe Sonix can read
8SVX in addition to its own Sonix format.  The IFF disk contains a
Read8SVX example which reads 8SVX - not what you want.  There is also
an InstIFF program on one of the Fish disks which converts old Amiga
workbench demo sound samples to 8SVX - again not what you want unless
Perfect Sound happens to somehow use the old workbench demo sound format.

I suggest calling the company that produces Perfect Sound - they should
know about utilities to convert their sound files.

Carolyn Scheppner -- CATS   >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
                     UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!carolyn
                     PHONE 215-431-9180

rgd059@Mipl3.JPL.Nasa.Gov (02/24/88)

Subject: Re: 8SVX (Sound-> Instrument) wanted
Date: 17 Feb 88 21:06:45 GMT
To: amiga@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov

In article <3336@cbmvax.UUCP> carolyn@cbmvax.UUCP (Carolyn Scheppner CATS) writes:
>In article <4W2sR4y00WA5z1Y04D@andrew.cmu.edu> jk3n+@andrew.cmu.edu (John Stephen Kalucki) writes:
>>I want to make Sonix instruments out of Perfect Sound data files. The formats
>>are slightly incompatable, but I understand that there is a program called
>>8SVX (or something similar) that will do this for me automatically.
>I do not know what format Perfect Sound uses.  I believe Sonix can read
>8SVX in addition to its own Sonix format.

Perfect Sound uses 8SVX, so if Sonix can read 8SVX, it should work.  (Why does
Sonix use a non-compatible format anyway???).  I talked to the president of
SunRize, and he suggested trying AudioMaster.  Apparently it's good at sound
format conversions.  I've never used it though, so I can't comment...

> ... There is also
>an InstIFF program on one of the Fish disks which converts old Amiga
>workbench demo sound samples to 8SVX - again not what you want unless
>Perfect Sound happens to somehow use the old workbench demo sound format.

I wrote that program...  I heard an old rumor somewhere that Sonix uses the
old workbench demo sound format, but I don't have it so I can't verify that.
The converter program goes the wrong way anyway (demo -> 8SVX)

Disclaimer:  I do some part-time programming for SunRize Industries.

Bob Deen  @  NASA-JPL Multimission Image Processing Lab
rgd059@mipl3.jpl.nasa.gov		span:  mipl3::rgd059