[comp.sys.amiga] Copyright Notice

In article <16964@think.UUCP> barmar@fafnir.think.com.UUCP (Barry Margolin) writes:
>In article <1771@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> amlovell@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Anthony M Lovell) writes:
>>In article <2608@gryphon.CTS.COM>, richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>>
>>> This article (c) 1988 by Richard J. Sexton
>>> This article copyrighted by Richard J. Sexton
>>> This article Copyrighted (c) 1988 by Richard J. Sexton
>>> None of these are valid copyrights.
>>
>>Inclusion of (c) symbol is satisfactory with a date and name.
>>Middle one might not do, but other two certainly are legal copyright
>>notices.  Source : US form PA.
>
>I think you may have old information.  I'm pretty sure that last year
>"(c)" was declared invalid.  Or, since you are quoting a US form, that

Hopefully to finish up the dispute, this is lifted from Circular R1 --
Copyright Basics, published by the Copyright Office:

"The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain the following
three elements:

* The symbol --unprintable-- (The letter C in a cirle) [this symbol is
not ASCII so you can't se it here. MP], or the word "Copyright" or the
abbreviation "Copr."; and

* The year of first publication of the work. [...]; and

* The name of the owner of copyright in the work.

Example: Copyright 1981 John Doe

The "C in a circle" notice is only required on visually perceptible copies."

This and other publications are available for free from:

Copyright Office
Library of Congress
Washington, DC 20559

-- Marco

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (02/22/88)

In article <7108@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>"The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain the following
>three elements:
>
>* The symbol --unprintable-- (The letter C in a cirle) [this symbol is
>not ASCII so you can't se it here. MP], or the word "Copyright" or the
>abbreviation "Copr."; and
>
> [ year and name of author ]

I wonder what the situation is where you might include a "c in a circle"
character in an Amiga text file, and it gets changed somewhere along the
line to a ')' by something which rejects hi-bit-set characters?

Would you lose copyright protection? Is a text file (which after all is
meant to be read) considered a "visually perceptible copy"?

John
--
"Fanaticism is all right... as long as you're ALONE! HAHAHAHA!"
		-- Pat Robertson shares a gem of wisdom told to him by Richard

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (02/23/88)

In article <4509@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
>In article <7108@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>
>>"The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain the following
>>three elements:
>>
>> [ "copr", year, and name of copyright holder(NOT necessarily author!) ]
>
>I wonder what the situation is where you might include a "c in a circle"
>character in an Amiga text file, and it gets changed somewhere along the
>line to a ')' by something which rejects hi-bit-set characters?
>
>Would you lose copyright protection? Is a text file (which after all is
>meant to be read) considered a "visually perceptible copy"?

No, you do not lose your protection.  In fact, even if you put NO
notice at all on the work you still retain your rights (at least in the
US).  The trick is that the closer you come to conforming with the
statutes in the first place, the less hassle you'll have when you come
to try to enforce your copyright later on.  There is also a provision
on the other side such that innocent infringers on your copyright _may_
not be sueable for violations occurring before you patched things up
(although this depends on a bunch of stuff, not the least of which is
who can afford the most expensive lawyers).  In this context, it means
that (a) the sales you lose before you notice the absence of your
copyright notice are lost; (b) once you notify the after-publishers
they have to stop the infringing activities (jsut as if it were
properly copyrighted in the first place); and (c) presuming that they
DO stop, then you cannot take any legal action for things they did
before they can be presumed to know ofyour copyright.

Maybe this should be moved to misc.legal?
   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Labs, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

flaig@cit-vlsi.Caltech.Edu (Charles M. Flaig) (02/23/88)

In article <7108@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:

>"The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain the following
>three elements:
>
>* The symbol --unprintable-- (The letter C in a cirle) [this symbol is
>not ASCII so you can't se it here. MP], or the word "Copyright" or the
>abbreviation "Copr."; and

Since the "letter C in a circle" is unprintable in ASCII, is a C within
parentheses, (C), a valid substitute?  I know I have seen this used, and
the parentheses form most of a circle (like a bad copy :-).

--Charles Flaig
  flaig@csvax.caltech.edu

pdb@sei.cmu.edu (Patrick Barron) (02/23/88)

In article <5523@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> flaig@cit-vlsi.UUCP (Charles M. Flaig) writes:
>Since the "letter C in a circle" is unprintable in ASCII, is a C within
>parentheses, (C), a valid substitute?  I know I have seen this used, and
>the parentheses form most of a circle (like a bad copy :-).

It's been said before, but...

Using the symbol (C) (i.e., the C in parentheses) gives you NO legal
protection, and a copyright notice like "(C) 1988 Patrick Barron" is
not a legal copyright notice.  Better to simply spell out the word
"Copyright", and include the phrase "All Rights Reserved" for purposes
of international copyright protection.  It's been said that unless
you really have the C-in-a-circle symbol, you don't have full protection,
but I don't know the whole scoop there.

This is starting to stray pretty far from the topic at hand.  Followups
redirected to misc.legal.

--Pat.

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (02/23/88)

In article <4509@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
>In article <7108@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>
>>"The notice for visually perceptible copies should contain the following
>>three elements:
>>
>>* The symbol --unprintable-- (The letter C in a cirle) [this symbol is
>>not ASCII so you can't se it here. MP], or the word "Copyright" or the
>>abbreviation "Copr."; and
>>
>> [ year and name of author ]
>
>I wonder what the situation is where you might include a "c in a circle"
>character in an Amiga text file, and it gets changed somewhere along the
>line to a ')' by something which rejects hi-bit-set characters?
>
>Would you lose copyright protection? Is a text file (which after all is
>meant to be read) considered a "visually perceptible copy"?
>
>John

  This is more a FYI message than anything....

  Some users (like ME :-) do not use the CBM supplied font(s). This means
  that the Copyright symbol (ALT E) is not represented as a "C" inside a
  circle. So remember that just because you see the copyright symbol on
  YOUR Amiga's screen, it may not look the same on other Amiga's.

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

rjg@sialis.mn.org (Robert J. Granvin) (02/24/88)

>Since the "letter C in a circle" is unprintable in ASCII, is a C within
>parentheses, (C), a valid substitute?  I know I have seen this used, and
>the parentheses form most of a circle (like a bad copy :-).

No.  It is not a valid substitute.  No copyright office in the world
recognizes the (c) symbol as a replacement for the 'official' copyright
symbol.

--
Robert J. Granvin           UNIVERSE: rjg@sialis.mn.org
Programmer Analyst             EARTH: ...uunet!{amdahl,hpda}!bungia!sialis!rjg