[comp.sys.amiga] Copyrighting

joe@vixen.uucp (Joe Hitchens) (02/22/88)

In article <22977@brunix.UUCP> cs224065@brap0a94.UUCP (Nicholas Thompson) writes:
>Don't bet on it...as I recall from the booklet on corporate security
>they gave me when I first went to work, the only ABSOLUTE way to
>secure the copyright on the document is with the symbol-which-is-
>usually-approximated-by-(c).  You know, the small letter c with the
>circle around it.  The c with parentheses doesn't cut it, neither
>does "Copyright (c) 1988 by Nick Thompson.  All Rights Reserved."
>Of course it doesn't hurt to put that in, and it will certainly
>give you some protection, but apparently the letter of the law says
>that you need the little symbol that isn't in the ASCII character
>set.  So how do you protect your source code?  Well, all the stuff
>mentioned above counts for something, I hope...

I sent for copyright info booklets from the government 1 or maybe 2 years ago.
It said thus:
	Copyright 1988 Joe Hitchens All Rights Reserved  (is correct)
	Copr. 1988 Joe Hitchens All Rights Reserved      (is correct)
	(c) 1988 Joe Hitchens All Rights Reserved
		(where the "(c)" is actually a small c in a circle is correct)
	(c) 1988 Joe Hitchens All Rights Reserved
		(where the "(c)" is a c in 2 parenthesis  is NOT correct)

In my case, I have always gone with the:
	Copyright 1988 Joe Hitchens All Rights Reserved
It seems the most official looking.

NOTE: Despite all the visible copyright messages in this text,
      I would like to make it clear that this text is actually NOT
      copyrighted but, but rather just a discussion of copyrighting
      practices.  (In case anyone has a weak heart.) :-)
      It is actually in the Public Domain.

j.h.

ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu (Lee Dickey) (02/25/88)

In article <188@vixen.uucp> joe@vixen.UUCP (Joe Hitchens) writes:
>    [ .... ]
>I sent for copyright info booklets from the government 1 or maybe 2 years ago.
>It said thus:
>	Copyright 1988 Joe Hitchens All Rights Reserved  (is correct)

The lack of punctuation leads to some interesting possibilities ( smile ).
Imagine that the Not family named their son Thomas Thompson Not, and later
Tom Not became an author of Computer software. His copywrite line would
look like this:

	Copyright 1988 Joe Thompson Not All Rights Reserved

Why not have a "comma" or a "." in there somewhere?
--
 L. J. Dickey, Faculty of Mathematics, University of Waterloo.
	ljdickey@water.waterloo.edu