[comp.sys.amiga] enforcement of Shareware

gordan@maccs.UUCP (gordan) (02/11/88)

If

you

want

read

version

of

this

message

without

all

these

annoying

Control-L's

send

$ 15

by

e-mail

Thank you.

--
One foot on a banana peel
The other in the Twilight Zone

dick@slvblc.UUCP (Dick Flanagan) (02/13/88)

In article <8503@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.uucp (Peter Theobald) writes:
> How many times have you read this on the net:
> 	'...<stuff about how OTHERS don't pay for shareware>...
> 	I, however, am sending in my money for <program x> just as
> 	soon as <condition y>'
> [...]
> 	How many people have ACTUALLY sent money? Not Real Soon Now.

	PROCOMM -- $25  \
	ARC     --  35	 >  utilities for IBM PC-types
	PICNIX  --  15	/

The best money I have ever spent on software--bar none--period!  If I
use it regularly, I pay for it!

Dick

--
Dick Flanagan, W6OLD                         GEnie: FLANAGAN
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!slvblc!dick           Voice: +1 408 336 3481

In another article kudla@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (self proclaimed pirate) writes:
> And I made money off my own "MacDoodle 1.3", which I took in about
> $50 for.

This is a joke right? What do you charge for your time? It took you less than
an hour to write MacDoodle? More clearly stated, you should probably said
"I got some money for 'MacDoodle 1.3'" because the word "made" implies that
more money came out of the result than went in. Take the hours you spent in
design, coding, testing, and debugging. Multiply this by $n where n is what
you could have made writing code for anyone else (my guess is that n ranges
from 5 to 175 depending on the code/employer) and then subtract this from
revenue (in this case $50) then say :

printf("I %s $%d from MacDoodle",(result < 0) ? "lost" : "made",result);

--Chuck McManis

kudla@pawl6.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (02/17/88)

In article <42017@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) writes:
>In another article kudla@pawl18.pawl.rpi.edu (self proclaimed pirate) writes:
>>(I wrote that I made $50 off a shareware pgm of mine.)
>
>This is a joke right? What do you charge for your time? It took you less than
>an hour to write MacDoodle? More clearly stated, you should probably said
>"I got some money for 'MacDoodle 1.3'" because the word "made" implies that
>more money came out of the result than went in. Take the hours you spent in
>design, coding, testing, and debugging. Multiply this by $n where n is what
>you could have made writing code for anyone else (my guess is that n ranges
Let me apologize to those of you who don't want to see any of this. I
didn't mean to start a flame war, but I do love flaming.

First of all, I don't take kindly to those who edit my name. You better
believe I'm a self-proclaimed pirate, but what does that have to do with
how much I made off a shareware program?

Second. Keep in mind a few points about my program. It was for the
Commodore 64, where "shareware" is generally taken to mean "public domain".
It wasn't a great program; it did what it had to do in compiled BASIC
and was thus pretty slow about it. It was very specialized, too: not
many Commodorians were interested in grabbing MacPix until MacGeoPaint
got written a few months after I got sick of 64's. Further, I released
the first two versions into the public domain without even any credits
on them (at least none the end user could see).  As a matter
of fact, I wrote the original program for my own use and found that
a few people liked it. By the time V1.3 rolled around, I had stars in
my eyes. I was asking for basically any loose change the end user had
lying around because I didn't even care. I didn't promote it; as far as
I know it's not even on Quantum Link. And finally, I wasn't in it for
the money. I'm a hobbyist, not a yuppie.

In short, grow up. Not all of us are concerned with profit-margins;
programming is recreation for me and I was espousing the fact that I
DID make money off ShareWare. In other words, I proved you wrong.

Not bad for a slimy pirate, huh?

   ------------Robert J. Kudla - Pseudo-Freshman Extraordinaire-------------
   Screw the disclaimers- flame at will!!                Itt@RPITSMTS.BITNET
   And you may ask yourself- How do I work this?      FU7Z%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu
             (I sure as hell do...)                       kudla@pawl.rpi.edu

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (02/17/88)

In article <42017@sun.uucp>, cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis) writes:

> printf("I %s $%d from MacDoodle",(result < 0) ? "lost" : "made",result);
> --Chuck McManis

I do agree about the marketing concepts mentioned previously - you gotta
spread it around wherever possible to let people know it exists.

If shareware, in whatever form, turns out badly for some folks, perhaps
they'd consider writing a magazine article describing the software and
thereby get other people excited about it.  A well written article that
makes a project (product) sound like a necessary part of someone's toolbox
may be accepted by a magazine.  The magazine, in turn, may well allow
the little 'about-the-author' to contain a plug about how and where
to get the software.  Since you'd be marketing it yourself, you could
offer the stuff at very low cost and still make a buck or two.  And
the name recognition you'd get is not a bad side effect either.

Give 'em something useful in the article (or if on a disk-based magazine,
a limited but functional version of the software/tryit-then-buyit), and
leave 'em wanting more (and a way to get it).

The response you get should be a direct indication of the level
of interest in the project (whether by inquiry or by orders), or
perhaps a measure of one's own marketing ability in selling the idea.
(If it is difficult to interest the public in an idea, it may be
equally difficult to interest a distributor/sofware-publisher in
having them invest in it).

BUT, if YOU like the project and get only a few folks responding, and
THEY like it a whole lot as well, then you've made some friends who have
common interests.  And just having someone to talk to about what interests
YOU can mean quite a lot.

Rob Peck			...ihnp4!hplabs!ardent!rap

>In short, grow up. Not all of us are concerned with profit-margins;
>programming is recreation for me and I was espousing the fact that I
>DID make money off ShareWare. In other words, I proved you wrong.

Completely missed the point didn't you? If you bought 50 lottery tickets
for a dollar and one of them paid off $5 would you say "I made $5 off the
Lottery." ? If you would, then your statement about making money off
shareware would, in this limited case, be true. However, at the same time
you would have invalidated any other english speaking persons interpretation
of your statements because of your invalid use of the currently accepted
syntax. Some day, you will understand, obviously that day is not today.

>Not bad for a slimy pirate, huh?

More like typical.

--Chuck McManis

In article <376@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU> kudla@pawl6.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:

>In short, grow up. Not all of us are concerned with profit-margins;

Still in school eh ?

Wait till you have a kid that eats $20 bills.

>programming is recreation for me and I was espousing the fact that I
>DID make money off ShareWare. In other words, I proved you wrong.

You call $50 making money ?  I've made more washing cars on Saturday.

If you want to give softwar away, thats terrific, you're a fine human
being. But dont think for a second that you are a commercial success
'cause you made $50 of a piece of software.

In the real world, a lot of programmers make that much an hour.

--
  "My life is changing in so many ways, I don't know who to trust any more"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

kudla@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (02/19/88)

In article <42232@sun.uucp> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Yuppie Pro) writes:

>Completely missed the point didn't you? If you bought 50 lottery tickets
>for a dollar and one of them paid off $5 would you say "I made $5 off the
>Lottery." ? If you would, then your statement about making money off
>shareware would, in this limited case, be true. However, at the same time
>you would have invalidated any other english speaking persons interpretation
>of your statements because of your invalid use of the currently accepted
>syntax. Some day, you will understand, obviously that day is not today.

"Some day, you will understand." Not bloody likely; they've been telling
me that for years.

The point is this: I invested zero money into my project, and since I had
fun doing it, time does NOT equal money. It sort of makes sense to me
that if you put no money into a project and get money out of it, you
are, indeed, making money. If, on the other hand, YOU were to write some-
thing, you who (presumably) makes money from his time spent programming,
THEN you would have to turn a profit to "make" money off the program,
since you value your time at $50 an hour or whatever you quoted in your
first flame.

I really think we should continue this in EMAIL; it's probably getting
real annoying to people reading it on the Net. I got mail saying this
is generally the custom, so I assume it's a good idea.

                                                          kudla@pawl.rpi.edu

kudla@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) (02/20/88)

In article <2604@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>Still in school eh ?
You know it.

>Wait till you have a kid that eats $20 bills.
I won't have a kid. I'm against the concept of "family" in general, and this
whining about "We neeeed to eeat toooooooo" is what pisses me off about
America's economic system.

>>programming is recreation for me and I was espousing the fact that I
>>DID make money off ShareWare. In other words, I proved you wrong.
>You call $50 making money ?  I've made more washing cars on Saturday.
So have I, but you ignored my previous line:
programming is recreation for me<<<
I don't know about you, but I *ENJOY* programming. I do it for *FUN*.
I will CONTINUE to do so in all probability till I am old and grey, but
will probably NEVER do it for a living because (1) people like myself
pirate commercial software and (2) it ceases to be fun in 9 cases out
of ten once you start getting paid to produce.
And yes, when I get $50 out of the blue for very little effort, I do
call it making money.

>If you want to give softwar away, thats terrific, you're a fine human
>being. But dont think for a second that you are a commercial success
>'cause you made $50 of a piece of software.
I don't consider myself a commercial success. I never said I was; the
question was HAVE ANY OF YOU EVER MADE *ANY* MONEY FROM THE SHAREWARE
SYSTEM, not DID ANY OF YOU MAKE SIGNIFICANT PROFIT FROM THE SHAREWARE
SYSTEM.

>In the real world, a lot of programmers make that much an hour.
In the real world, a lot of programmers have deadlines and have to
go to work in grey flannel. In the real world, you go in at 9 and out at
5. In the real world, I couldn't have written such a shitty programme
and expected to keep my job, let alone make ANY moeny off it.

Keep trying...

   ------------Robert J. Kudla - Pseudo-Freshman Extraordinaire-------------
   Screw the disclaimers- flame at will!!                Itt@RPITSMTS.BITNET
   And you may ask yourself- How do I work this?      FU7Z%mts@itsgw.rpi.edu
                                                          kudla@pawl.rpi.edu

This whole bit about shareware has gotten out of hand. Basically, I think
everyone agrees, what is/was at issue here are two concepts :

a) Shareware in lieu of commercialware. Basically, this was what the original
   discussion was about. The question being "As an alternative to going the
   commercial route, with marketing and shrink wrap, etc, has anyone made
   money off shareware?" And the answer is "Very few." Generally, you are
   better off trying the commercial route first, because you can always go
   shareware later. It is a lot tougher to make it work the other way.

b) Money out of the blue for a neat hack. This is what Robert apparently
   was talking about. Basically, you write something because you wanted to
   and someone sends you some money because they liked it. There is no one
   living off this sort of project but it does give a lot of good strokes
   to the author, and maybe they go out and have a steak dinner or something.

They are separate things, the latter I think of the freely distributable
software category. One of the concepts that was bandied about on BIX was
sort of a free software, commercial help thing. Where the binaries for a
program were 'free' to be copied but the manual cost $40 and telephone
help was charged at some fixed rate per hour. This can work on somethings
and the 'experienced' users like it because they don't have to pay 'support'
costs when they don't need any support.

--Chuck McManis

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (02/23/88)

> But dont think for a second that you are a commercial success
> 'cause you made $50 of a piece of software.

> In the real world, a lot of programmers make that much an hour.

I guess this proves it, Boeing Aerospace is not in the real world.
Not even close.

>  "My life is changing in so many ways, I don't know who to trust any more"
>                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM
>   {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque, codas!ddsw1} gryphon!richard

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

mfs@edison.GE.COM (Pissed Off @ morons, idiots and pirates) (02/23/88)

In article <390@imagine.PAWL.RPI.EDU>, kudla@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Robert J. Kudla) writes:
> In article <2604@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
> >Still in school eh ?
> You know it.
> >Wait till you have a kid that eats $20 bills.
> I won't have a kid.

Too bad your mom and dad didn't decide to do likewise.

> will probably NEVER do it for a living because (1) people like myself
> pirate commercial software.

Oh, a self-proclaimed jackass, huh ?

> In the real world, a lot of programmers have deadlines and have to
> go to work in grey flannel.

Gee, I work in a very large place and have never worn anything but blue
jeans, nikes and T-shirts (and a sarcastic grin).

Guess what bonehead,...  We get a kick out of doing software too.
Otherwise, we would have become plumbers.  Of course, if we had, we would
see a whole lot more shit like you.

> Keep trying...

We will, even though fuckheads like you keep stealing our software.

In article <1694@ssc-vax.UUCP> coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) writes:

>> But dont think for a second that you are a commercial success
>> 'cause you made $50 of a piece of software.
>
>> In the real world, a lot of programmers make that much an hour.
>
>I guess this proves it, Boeing Aerospace is not in the real world.
>Not even close.

The last time I did some work for boeing thats how much I got.

It's not my fault you can't negotiate.

--
    "Each morning when I wake up to rise, I'm living in a dreamland"