[comp.sys.amiga] Hard Drive Questions, documentation

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (02/25/88)

cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) wrote:
>Yes it stinks, yes it is fixed by the Fast File system

I've seen an A2000 with Connor 100M disk on a CBM 2090 controller
running FFS; they're getting around 600 Bytes/sec.  Yum.

>Why not get some of the public domain stuff like Matt's Packet Monitor
>and track down where you are spending your time.

I use TDebug and MonProc when I want to understand what's happening
with a device.  Terrific tools.

Chuck's pointers were well given, I'll repeat them, but change their
order a bit.

--> Rob Peck's book which has a decent overview of how the Amiga's OS
    is layered.

--> The Kickstart Guide to the Amiga which has some more obscure Exec
    type information in it.

--> BOTH volumes of the Rom Kernel Manual, Read them cover to cover
    including the include files, three times.

--> All of the include files/ Readmes/ Autodocs on the Native Developers
    Update disk ($20 from CATS, 1200 Wilson Dr, West Chester, PA, 19380)

--> All I/O code that appears on any Fish disk, this includes Matt's device
    and handler routines, the Pipe: handlers, the simple SCSI hard disk driver
    and the example device from the RKMs

>Seriously, the information is all available, it just isn't coalesed(sp?)
>real well.

There are a number of areas of the Amiga (like all of them :-) that
could use some serious re-documentation.  If someone looked over all
the above info, coalessed the info into one mammoth book per topic
(admit it, you could have an RKM-like book on each device, for
example) with a set of disks, you'd have no problem bringing up new
programs, and the Amiga learning curve would normalize, which might
help new companies get into the Amiga.

Rob Peck did this for the audio.device, somewhat.  I started doing it
for the file system, and have changed direction a couple of times, but
I'm still working on it.  The first item to come out of this project
is a dos (filesystem) support library, so all us FS-hackers can stop
re-inventing the wheel.  I'm fine-tuning it now and planning to add
support for FFS before I release it, but it's coming.

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page
"I don't know such stuff.  I just do eyes."  -- from 'Blade Runner'

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (02/25/88)

In article <5071@swan.ulowell.edu>, page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
> cmcmanis@sun.UUCP (Chuck McManis) wrote:
> >Yes it stinks, yes it is fixed by the Fast File system
>
> I've seen an A2000 with Connor 100M disk on a CBM 2090 controller
> running FFS; they're getting around 600 Bytes/sec.  Yum.

Holy hotrod, Batman ... my modem can beat that!

Seriously, Bob ... either you chew your yummies ALOT slower than I want to,
or you missed a "K" in that line!

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim