[comp.sys.amiga] Final results from the "comp.sys.amiga.tech" vote.

bryce@eris.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) (02/21/88)

The 30 days for the vote on adding a ".tech" group to comp.sys.amiga has
expired.  The final results are as follows:

    The filesystem on which votes were stored was destroyed.  There are no
    known backups.

I'm not happy about this, but there is no way to recover the information.
An accurate tally can not be produced.	There is no way to verify the
votes.	Informal results are estimated as follows:

    YES     ~200
	    (~25 would prefer the name ".programmer".  This leaves the
	    placement of hardware articles up in the air) (Many indicated
	    they would still read both.  Others indicated that they will
	    read both, but concentrate more "quality" reading time on one
	    or the other.)

    NO	    ~35
	    (Many no votes came from BITNETers that feared loosing access
	    to the new group.  Most of the rest of the NOs were from people
	    who felt the split would not work.)

    YES ON MULTI-WAY KEYWORD SPLIT   ~40
	    (The multi-way split was never formally announced, but was
	    voted on be some people anyway)

Actual formalized use of the "Keywords:" line has been discussed, but no
vote has been taken.

Sigh.  It is still difficult to extract useful information from
comp.sys.amiga.

	    -Bryce Nesbitt
|\_/|  . ACK!, NAK!, EOT!, SOH!
{o o} .     Bryce Nesbitt
 (")        BIX: mleeds (temporarily)
  U	    USENET: bryce@eris.berkeley.EDU -or- ucbvax!eris!bryce

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (02/22/88)

bryce@eris.berkeley.edu (Bryce Nesbitt) writes:

>The 30 days for the vote on adding a ".tech" group to comp.sys.amiga has
>expired.  The final results are as follows:
>
>    The filesystem on which votes were stored was destroyed.  There are no
>    known backups.
>
>I'm not happy about this, but there is no way to recover the information.
>An accurate tally can not be produced.	There is no way to verify the
>votes.	Informal results are estimated as follows:
>
>    YES     ~200
>	    (~25 would prefer the name ".programmer".  This leaves the
>
>    NO	    ~35
>	    (Many no votes came from BITNETers that feared loosing access
>	    to the new group.  Most of the rest of the NOs were from people
>	    who felt the split would not work.)
>
>    YES ON MULTI-WAY KEYWORD SPLIT   ~40
>	    (The multi-way split was never formally announced, but was
>	    voted on be some people anyway)
>
>Actual formalized use of the "Keywords:" line has been discussed, but no
>vote has been taken.
>
>Sigh.  It is still difficult to extract useful information from
>comp.sys.amiga.

        I would like to put my early suggestion for foramalized keywords to
a vote, but am not exactly sure how to do this.  Also I have limited access
to "news.groups" which is where I understand discussion of a proposal is
supposed to take place.  Could someone send me email explaining what to do?
I don't want to screw this up by not following proper procedures (h*ll, I
didn't even know news.groups or comp.sys.graphics existed until just a
few weeks ago).

        As a trial of the formalized keywords I suggest we specify ".tech"
as the only formal keyword.  Lets see how it works from there?

        For those who missed it, here is a copy of the keyword proposal:

        Any suggestions for improvement would also be appreciated.

		NEW SUGGESTION FOR SPLITTING UP amiga/comp-amiga.

			---------------------------

		I finally am able to read news.groups.  I was expecting
	a raging debate as to how to or whether to split up this group.
	Instead I found a news group with hundreds of messages, of which
	only a handfull were about splitting comp.sys.amiga.  I assume
	others have the same difficulty getting to news.groups that I've
	run into?  (I still have not figured out how to post to it!)

		Well, I've put some thought into this, and this article
	will contain my suggestion for how to split up comp.sys.amiga.
	First, however, I would like to discuss what I feel to be the
	relevant considerations.  I'll try to keep this breif.

		After looking at the previous suggestion to split
	comp.sys.amiga into two or more groups and the few responses that
	were posted, it seemed to me these are the issues we must
	consider:

	     1)	 Conservation of reading time.  If comp.sys.amiga grows in
	            proportions to the growth of the Amiga market, it is
		    likely that there will soon be too many postings for
		    many individuals to follow.  As key people find keeping
		    up with the net too time consuming they will, of necessity,
		    have to stop following it.
		      RECENTLY IT SEEMS TO ME A NUMBER OF C= PEOPLE HAVE STOP-
		    PED REGULARLY FOLLOWING COMP.SYS.AMIGA!  From the nature
		    of the response patterns of C= messages I also think
		    quite a few who used to read the board now respond mostly
		    to postings referenced by someone else or which were also
		    sent direct via mail.  THESE ARE THE PEOPLE I WANT TO EN-
		    COURAGE TO FOLLOW THE DISCUSSIONS, ESPECIALLY THE TECHNICAL
		    POSTINGS!

	      2)  A simple two-way split  (ie: add group comp.sys.amiga.tech)
	            would probably result in comp.sys.amiga degenerating into
		    chatter.  What reduces this now is the Flaming over
		    non-technical threads that last too long.

	      3)  A multi-way split is too complicated, for us and the
	            Net GODS.

		Now for my solution (previously sent in a less thought out
	version to Bryce Nesbit {does my mail get to him??}).

	  	What I suggest is that we use the keyword field in the
	following manner.  Reserve the keyword ".tech" for designating
	a technical posting.  Furthermore, for future expansion, reserve
	the use of "." as the first character of a keyword for "sanctioned"
	keywords only (in the begining only ".tech").  Thus any keyword
	could be placed in the keywords feild that does not begin with ".".

		The immeadiate effect of this will be that those who must
	filter their reading will be able to do so.  In the future however,
	more sanctioned keywords could be added.  The keywords might be
	".tech", ".intuition", ".hardware", ".graphics", ".printers",
	".product_comments", etc.   These would be used to create a filter
	to sift the postings.

		Ideally I might have a readnews filter defined as something
	like this:

		filter := {(!.printers) & (.graphics | .intuition)}

	and I would recieve only those postings which had to do with intuition
	or graphics but not printers.  Combine with non-santioned keywords,
	specific articles could be filtered, as in

		filter := {product_comments & ASDG}

	would return postings about ASDG products.

		Finally, I would like one added feature.  Filter by author
	sould also be available.  ie:  Some people's postings I always want
	to read, and there are a few who I never want to read.  These should
	also be possible fields.

		How would you use this?  Well, I figure the user creates
	a prioritised filter specification and also indicates the number
	of messages he/she wishes to read.  The system would then return
	that number of postings, according to the filter.

		BEST OF ALL, THIS SYSTEM WOULD BE ALMOST TOTALLY TRANSPARENT
	TO THE CURRENT STRUCTURE OF COMP.SYS.AMIGA AND WOULD REQUIRE (ALMOST?)
	NO SUPERVISION BY THE NET GODS.

		Please send me E-Mail with your comments, as this is not
	yet an official proposal.  I'm not quite sure what one does to
	make an official proposal.

						     Thanks,

						     	     Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

jesup@pawl21.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (02/25/88)

Concerning splitting comp.sys.amiga using keywords:

	No way will it work, sorry.  Many, many people who read news
(quite possibly the majority) can't use keywords at all, let alone construct
filters using them.  If it is ignored to any great extent (which it would
be) it becomes useless, or almost so.

	We're splitting comp.sys.amiga into 2 groups now.  If volume in the
future requires it, we'll split it into more as required, when the need is
shown.  Note that one of the reasons for this 'keyword split' may well be
that the person who suggested it doesn't use rn, and thus has no 'k' key
or kill files (if I remember readnews correctly, which he mentioned).

	I have removed comp.misc from the distribution line of this article.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup