[comp.sys.amiga] web.sh

drh@spock.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) (02/13/88)

Greetings, I'm a recent purchaser of an Amiga 2000.  I'm very
serious about getting the most out of this computer.  I have
installed a 43 MB Seagate ST251 disk drive, and 9 MB of ram.

My formost question is this:

Sometimes when I turn the system off it in-valadates the disk!
Once already I have had to reformat the disk, I've only had the
system for a few weeks.  Last night I turned the system off,
everything was fine, this a.m. numerous files were trashed.  I've
become carefull about waiting for the disk to spin down after
powering down (before rebooting), and I wait for all writes to
complete before shutting off the power.  I have the Amiga 2090
controller.  Any known bugs?

I want to put together the web.sh assembler and have several
problems.  I can't seem to turn the source back into source.
I've "unshared" the file, and then tried both uudecode (on a
SunOS UNIX system (UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Labs), and
used the Amiga "unarc" command.  What gives how do I turn it
back into source?  We no longer have the web binary.  Can
someone out there help me out?  I need the binary to compile
the source, and instructions on how to unarchive the files.

Are there any instructions for how to use web?

Thats all for now,

D.R. Hawley (I'd prefer the answer cc'd to me here, you
may send to the alias if you think it would help others
as well, your choice.

In article <33416@spock.uucp> drh@spock.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) writes:
>Greetings, I'm a recent purchaser of an Amiga 2000.  I'm very
>serious about getting the most out of this computer.  I have
>installed a 43 MB Seagate ST251 disk drive, and 9 MB of ram.

I have exactly your configuration (Amiga2000+A2090+ST251).

>Sometimes when I turn the system off it in-valadates the disk!
>Once already I have had to reformat the disk, I've only had the
>system for a few weeks.  Last night I turned the system off,
>everything was fine, this a.m. numerous files were trashed.  I've
>become carefull about waiting for the disk to spin down after
>powering down (before rebooting), and I wait for all writes to
>complete before shutting off the power.  I have the Amiga 2090
>controller.  Any known bugs?

In the 3 months I've had this configuration I NEVER had any of the problems
you mentioned.  The ST251 will park the heads off the plates at power-down
so you don't even need to wait for the disk to spin down.  And note that I
develop and test on this machine, so I get visited by the guru all the time,
including in the middle of disk writes, and with file opened.  The only
problem (!?) is that sometimes when I create a REALLY bad crash (fireworks on
he screen) the real-time clock gets screwed up (my fault of course), and I have
to run setclock.  All in all the machine has been pretty reliable.

I suspect that either you have an old version of hardisk.device or you have
hardware problems (it could be the system unit, the controller or the drive
itself).

-- Marco

lee@uhccux.UUCP (Greg Lee) (02/16/88)

From article <33416@spock.uucp>, by drh@spock.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley):

> I want to put together the web.sh assembler and have several

It's not an assembler, only a pre-processor for an assembler.
> problems.  I can't seem to turn the source back into source.
> I've "unshared" the file, and then tried both uudecode (on a
> SunOS UNIX system (UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Labs), and
> used the Amiga "unarc" command.  What gives how do I turn it

Uudecode should have done it -- it was not arc'd.  The set 8th
bits might be lost unless you transfer it to your Amiga as a
binary.
> back into source?  We no longer have the web binary.  Can
> someone out there help me out?  I need the binary to compile
> the source, and instructions on how to unarchive the files.

I'll it to you or anyone else who's interested.  Provided
I can get through using the path you gave.
	Greg, lee@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu

alex@xicom.UUCP (Alex Laney) (02/29/88)

In article <33416@spock.uucp>, drh@spock.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) writes:

> My formost question is this:
>
> Sometimes when I turn the system off it in-valadates the disk!
> Once already I have had to reformat the disk, I've only had the
> system for a few weeks.  Last night I turned the system off,
> everything was fine, this a.m. numerous files were trashed.  I've
> become carefull about waiting for the disk to spin down after
> powering down (before rebooting), and I wait for all writes to
> complete before shutting off the power.  I have the Amiga 2090
> controller.  Any known bugs?

I mistakenly left out the "reserved" two sectors from my mountlist. I have
partitioned my hard-disk (using an A2090 also) into 4 parts, and the last
part had the reserved two sectors missing in the file. Anyway, almost every
day I would have a corrupted partition. Since I fixed the mountlist file,
everything has been fine. Also, if your hard-disk does auto-parking, that
may clash with the auto-parking of the A2090. I turned off 'auto-parking' from
the Prep program. ... your mileage may vary, but check out these things.

--
Alex Laney   alex@xicom.UUCP   ...utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!xicom!alex
Xicom Technologies, 205-1545 Carling Av., Ottawa, Ontario, Canada