[comp.sys.amiga] A1000 Obsolescence

craig@unicus.UUCP (Craig D. Hubley) (03/01/88)

Lately a few people have been looking for solutions to A1000 expansion woes
and bemoaning their machines unsalability/lack of support/lack of a market.
The solution in every case I've seen so far is a US$250 piece of hardware:
an expansion chassis.  No need to buy an A500, no need to junk the A1000,
no need to buy an A2000.  No need to have this problem again, either.
Unless Commodore comes up with an incompatible `Zorro-3' standard.  In
which case junk your Amiga and buy a machine from a real company.
The March 88 AmigaWorld has a hardware buyer's guide which at least tells
you who's making the things.  (Pacific Perhiperals has the widest selection)

Blake Nelson writes:
>In article <343@sas.UUCP> bts@sas.UUCP (Brian T. Schellenberger) writes:
>>I have a two-slot (original) Zorro expansion box with NO pass-through
>>(this was not necessarily expected to be a permanent arrangement).  I
>>have a 2-meg ram card in one slot which I do not want to toss into the
>>trashcan, and the other slot is empty.
>
>I have the exact same situation. I any of you net landers have solutions
>please pass info along.

Why don't you buy a P.P. SubSystem 1000 or similar expansion chassis?  Some of
them take Z-1 *and* Z-2 cards, solving all of your problems, so far as
I can see, since they even pass the bus to support your old SOTS cards.
Your Z-1 noPT box can go on the bus passed through from the chassis.
Then you just buy all your new hardware as Z-2 cards, perhaps adding
a closeout-sale Z-1 card to fill your spare slot.  No more passthrough,
but you're not dumb enough to buy SOTS again, are you ?

and John Wilkes writes:
>In article <2595@crash.cts.com> steelie@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Jim Howard) writes:
>> {...} I would have probably already sold the 1000. {...}
>
>You're might as well just go out and buy a 500 and keep your 1000 anyway.
>I've been trying to unload mine for the past four months, and I can find no
>takers.  A1000 512K + 2M add-on + external disk drive + monitor + color dot
>matrix printer + 1200 baud modem + Manx&Lattice C + Lisp + Pascal +
>complete Fish Disk collection + other stuff.  I've been asking $1200, would
>probably take $1K, is that unreasonable?  I have not gotten so much as a
>nibble.
>
>If anyone is interested, it's still on the auction block.

Selling an A1000 to buy an A500 doesn't make any sense.  You can get slots
for your A1000 much cheaper than a new A500, for which you would then have
to buy an expansion chassis *anyway*.  What's that ?  You were going to
buy SOTS boxes for your A500 ?  Get real.  Read your own complaints about
obsolescence, insert `A500' in place of `A1000' and bite your tongue.

Bad enough for hardware manufacturers to sell the SOTS, bad enough for
Commodore to not offer an expansion chassis in the first place, but for
*people who already got burned this way* to offer themselves up to get
burned again simply defies belief.  Come on, guys, you should know better.
When the A3000 comes out with a 68030 and a Zorro-2 cage in it, you'll howl.
And nobody will be listening.

Your A1000 has the *same* processor, *same* bus, *same* everything (minus
the CPU and video slots, which can be kludged - your warranty is up anyway)
and, for 250 bucks, the *same* expansion capability.  I wish I could upgrade
TV sets, answering machines, or cars, to the `latest' for 20% of what they
originally cost.

Buy a chassis, keep your 1000, buy Z-2 cards, and don't get fooled again.

	Craig Hubley, Unicus Corporation, Toronto, Ont.
	craig@Unicus.COM				(Internet)
	{uunet!mnetor, utzoo!utcsri}!unicus!craig	(dumb uucp)
	mnetor!unicus!craig@uunet.uu.net		(dumb arpa)