[comp.sys.amiga] Question about 1084 monitor

gt4785b@pyr.gatech.EDU (CARTER) (02/27/88)

I had to send my first 1084 monitor back because it was flakey on arrival.

I just received my replacement 1084 monitor.  In Analog RGB mode (i.e.
connected to my A500) the Hue, Color, and Sharpness knobs have NO effect!
But in Composite mode (connected to my VCR) Hue and Color work; Sharpness
still has no effect.

This happens with the "VCR" button on the rear both ON and OFF.
{What is the purpose of this button anyway?  All the manual says is 'if
you use the monitor with a VCR, VLP, or Video Camera, press this button to
adjust the monitor's circuitry to those devices.'  I don't see any change
in the picture.}

It's been a month since I've seen a 1084, so I don't remember whether the
first one behaved this way (well, I remember that Sharpness used to make a
noticeable difference).

Anybody else out there have a 1084 that behaves like this, or should I
send this one back too?

David Carter		gt4785b@pyr.gatech.edu

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (03/01/88)

In article <5093@pyr.gatech.EDU> gt4785b@pyr.gatech.EDU (CARTER) writes:
>In Analog RGB mode (i.e.
>connected to my A500) the Hue, Color, and Sharpness knobs have NO effect!
>But in Composite mode (connected to my VCR) Hue and Color work....

Last time I tried it, the hue and color knobs on my 1080 (note that
IS NOT the 1084) had no effect when in Analog RGB mode......Maybe
they're not supposed to.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

In article <5093@pyr.gatech.EDU> gt4785b@pyr.gatech.EDU (CARTER) writes:
>I just received my replacement 1084 monitor.  In Analog RGB mode (i.e.
>connected to my A500) the Hue, Color, and Sharpness knobs have NO effect!
>But in Composite mode (connected to my VCR) Hue and Color work; Sharpness
>still has no effect.

Hmmm, where to start. The way color information is transmitted on a composite
signal is via phase information on a 3.58Mhz subcarrier. Hue and Color
adjust the internal phase locked loop(s) to lock on at different phase points
so that the color on your monitor looks like you expect it to look. This
is an incredibly simplistic explanation, I know, there are several good
books that cover this subject in detail. Look for descriptions of NTSC video,
color TV, and/or video signals. When you are using the RGB inputs the color
is preseparated and always 'correct' so these controls are non functional.
Sharpness is usually a low pass filter in the video signal path that attenuates
rapid changes in intensity, the visual effect is fuzzieness. No, your 1084
isn't broken.

--Chuck McManis

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (03/01/88)

phil@titan.rice.edu (William LeFebvre) writes:
>In article <5093@pyr.gatech.EDU> gt4785b@pyr.gatech.EDU (CARTER) writes:
>>In Analog RGB mode (i.e.
>>connected to my A500) the Hue, Color, and Sharpness knobs have NO effect!
>>But in Composite mode (connected to my VCR) Hue and Color work....
>
>Last time I tried it, the hue and color knobs on my 1080 (note that
>IS NOT the 1084) had no effect when in Analog RGB mode......Maybe
>they're not supposed to.

In Analog RGB mode this is normal.  Only in Composite do the color and tint do
anything.  There must be internal adjustments all the same but for RGB I have
never needed/wished to make any adjustment.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com