[comp.sys.amiga] FaccII crashes?

ebr@io.UUCP (Evan B. Ross) (02/24/88)

	Has anyone else noticed that if you have FaccII running, then invoke
Facction, point to the 'Fewer' gadget, and then hold down the mouse button,
you get a visit from the guru?

	Of course, there could be something strange with my system configuration,
but I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this problem.
--
  There's sparks a comin' outa' my head!!!

...!{mid-eddit,bbn}!ileaf!ebr	Evan B. Ross, Interleaf, Cambridge, Ma
      ...!sun!sunne!ileaf!ebr		(617)577-9813 x5570

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (02/25/88)

Believe me...  I am not impressed with all the ways programmers and end users
have discovered to get a visit from the scourge of the Amiga - the Guru.  I
prefer to see heavy beta/gamma testing but it seems you still can't do enough.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) (02/28/88)

In article <553@io.UUCP> ebr (Evan B. Ross) writes:

>	Has anyone else noticed that if you have FaccII running, then invoke
>Facction, point to the 'Fewer' gadget, and then hold down the mouse button,
>you get a visit from the guru?
>
>	Of course, there could be something strange with my system configuration,
On my A500, 1meg 2 drives, 512 buffers used by Facc, everything works
just fine.
>--
>  There's sparks a comin' outa' my head!!!
>
>...!{mid-eddit,bbn}!ileaf!ebr	Evan B. Ross, Interleaf, Cambridge, Ma
>      ...!sun!sunne!ileaf!ebr		(617)577-9813 x5570

--

	Frank Anthes-Harper
Usenet: ....!ucbvax!decvax!uunet!mcvax!inria!geocub!anthes

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (02/29/88)

In article <205@geocub.UUCP> anthes@geocub.UUCP (Franklin Anthes) writes:
>In article <553@io.UUCP> ebr (Evan B. Ross) writes:
>>	Has anyone else noticed that if you have FaccII running, then invoke
>>Facction, point to the 'Fewer' gadget, and then hold down the mouse button,
>>you get a visit from the guru?
>On my A500, 1meg 2 drives, 512 buffers used by Facc, everything works
>just fine.

I've noticed this bug before.  It doesn't seem to happen very often though,
especially if you don't use Facction very often.

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (02/29/88)

I have noticed that if I RunBackGround Facction and subsequently exit it,
about 40 bytes get eaten.  If I Run Facction or just execute it in the
foreground I believe this does not happen, so I think it is a property of
RunBackGround (which is PD and distributed with FaccII).  Anybody else seen
similar behavior?  I guess I'll do a little more experimentation at home
tonight.

I don't remember if Facction writes a string to the console when it starts
up -- if it does, could these be the missing 40 bytes?  If not . . .
any ideas?

--
-Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.-

Charles Cleveland    Georgia Tech School of Physics    Atlanta, GA 30332
UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas         INTERNET:  chas@ss.physics.gatech.edu

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (03/01/88)

In article <201@gtss.UUCP> chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
>I have noticed that if I RunBackGround Facction and subsequently exit it,
>about 40 bytes get eaten.  If I Run Facction or just execute it in the
>foreground I believe this does not happen, so I think it is a property of
>RunBackGround (which is PD and distributed with FaccII).

The docs for runback state explicitly that some bytes get eaten. I can't
remember the exact number, but it was around 40.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey               sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  The Empire Maniac        {rutgers,uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!sean

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/02/88)

In article <201@gtss.UUCP> chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
<I have noticed that if I RunBackGround Facction and subsequently exit it,
<about 40 bytes get eaten.  If I Run Facction or just execute it in the
<foreground I believe this does not happen, so I think it is a property of
<RunBackGround (which is PD and distributed with FaccII).  Anybody else seen
<similar behavior?  I guess I'll do a little more experimentation at home
<tonight.

It's a byproduct of RunBack(Ground)... Try running anything with RunBack
and you'll find you lose about 40 bytes of memory.

<Charles Cleveland    Georgia Tech School of Physics    Atlanta, GA 30332
<UUCP: ...!gatech!gtss!chas         INTERNET:  chas@ss.physics.gatech.edu

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/02/88)

In article <201@gtss.UUCP>, chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) writes:
> I have noticed that if I RunBackGround Facction and subsequently exit it,
> about 40 bytes get eaten.  If I Run Facction or just execute it in the
> foreground I believe this does not happen, so I think it is a property of
> RunBackGround (which is PD and distributed with FaccII).  Anybody else seen
> similar behavior?  I guess I'll do a little more experimentation at home
> tonight.

The 40 bytes are lost by RunBackGround. I had the same problem for a little
while in Browser, but solved it. I don't think RunBack can deal with the
problem because it doesn't hang around to pick up the peices after the
program exits.

RunBack also causes problems with programs RunBacked calling Execute. If
you call it from a program that's been RunBacked you never get control
back.

I'm working on a solution that will keep a daemon around to take care of
the problem. It's going to be called Launch...
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U