[comp.sys.amiga] Libraries! Where are the libraries!

jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) (02/25/88)

I've been programming in C on the Amiga for a few months now. I've just
reached the point where I need access to the intuition and graphics libraries
and I can't find them. They're not on the Manx 3.4 disks, nor are they on
the workbench disk. Are my disks missing some libraries? If not, where
can I find these libraries (and others, e.g. timer)?

Jack

merchie@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Anthony Wiggins) (02/26/88)

In article <24927@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:

>I've been programming in C on the Amiga for a few months now. I've just
>reached the point where I need access to the intuition and graphics libraries
>and I can't find them. They're not on the Manx 3.4 disks, nor are they on
>the workbench disk. Are my disks missing some libraries? If not, where
>can I find these libraries (and others, e.g. timer)?

The "real-time" libraries (I like that word) ARE on your Workbench disk.
I have no idea why intuition.library and timer.library are hidden from us,
unless Commodore was (probably rightly so) afraid that a new user would
delete the files if they existed, to make more room on the disk.

However, other less "critical" libraries can be found in the libs directory.
I haven't looked on the Manx disks, so I can't vouch that they're there, but
they ARE on Workbench.

The best of luck!

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (02/27/88)

In article <24927@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:

>I've been programming in C on the Amiga for a few months now. I've just
>reached the point where I need access to the intuition and graphics libraries
>and I can't find them. They're not on the Manx 3.4 disks, nor are they on

As the commercial says, "It's in there!"

intuition.library and graphics.library are both in the Kickstart ROM.
(as is timer.device, and ...)

You need to get the Rom Kernal Manuals for docs on the libraries.
But basically, they are not object libraries, but rather
Exec libraries, which sit in RAM or ROM, and are called
by application programs through a defined calling convention.

Only the stub necessary to call the functions are linked to
your programs.  There should be a link library on your disk
that contain these in some form.

BTW, cast everything to LONG or use the 32 bit option if you
want to start calling Amiga functions.

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

:In article <24927@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:
:>
:>I've been programming in C on the Amiga for a few months now. I've just
:>reached the point where I need access to the intuition and graphics libraries
:>and I can't find them. They're not on the Manx 3.4 disks, nor are they on
:>the workbench disk. Are my disks missing some libraries? If not, where
:>can I find these libraries (and others, e.g. timer)?
:
:
:The "real-time" libraries (I like that word) ARE on your Workbench disk.
:I have no idea why intuition.library and timer.library are hidden from us,
:unless Commodore was (probably rightly so) afraid that a new user would
:delete the files if they existed, to make more room on the disk.

	Huh?  THEY'RE IN ROM, SILLY!

	timer.library?  Don't you mean timer.device?  Devices can have
	library vectors too, you know.

				-Matt

lbruck@eneevax.UUCP (Lewis S.Bruck) (02/28/88)

In article <8267@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> merchie@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Anthony Wiggins) writes:
>In article <24927@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:
>>
>>I've been programming in C on the Amiga for a few months now. I've just
>>reached the point where I need access to the intuition and graphics libraries
>>and I can't find them. They're not on the Manx 3.4 disks, nor are they on
>>the workbench disk. Are my disks missing some libraries? If not, where
>>can I find these libraries (and others, e.g. timer)?
>

>The "real-time" libraries (I like that word) ARE on your Workbench disk.

The graphics.library, intuition.library, timer.library, and others are
in Kickstart.  They are accessed by the OpenLibrary() exec routine.
The libraries on the Workbench are also libraries in the same sense
as the ones in Kickstart but are deemed less important (or aren't used
as much as the ones mentioned above).  The details of how to use
the libraries can be found in any book that deals with programming
the amiga at the assembly or C level.

The libraries in Manx contain hooks to the Kickstart libraries, and
thus are also needed for C programming.  Most of the graphics and
intuition hooks are contained in c.lib and c32.lib.

more luck! (sorry dale)

Lewis Bruck

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/28/88)

In article <8267@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU>, merchie@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Anthony Wiggins) writes:

> The "real-time" libraries (I like that word) ARE on your Workbench disk.
> I have no idea why intuition.library and timer.library are hidden from us,
> unless Commodore was (probably rightly so) afraid that a new user would
> delete the files if they existed, to make more room on the disk.

Aren't these in kickstart?

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/01/88)

In article <24927@cca.CCA.COM> jack@cca.CCA.COM (Jack Orenstein) writes:
>I've been programming in C on the Amiga for a few months now. I've just
>reached the point where I need access to the intuition and graphics libraries
>and I can't find them. They're not on the Manx 3.4 disks, nor are they on

Took me about half an hour to figure out what the problem was (I
couldn't open the libraries either), since I'm used to Unix. Try:

From memory:

if (!(IntuitionBase=OpenLibrary("intuition.library",0L))) {
	exit();
}

Note that the library version number is suffixed by L to specify the
long type.  Otherwise, it gets the word you specify plus the next word
on the stack and chances are that you don't have that version of
library.

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/02/88)

In article <8267@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU> merchie@eleazar.Dartmouth.EDU (Anthony Wiggins) writes:
>The "real-time" libraries (I like that word) ARE on your Workbench disk.
>I have no idea why intuition.library and timer.library are hidden from us,

The reason that they are "hidden" from you is because they are needed
by the operting system.  Thus, they are automatically "used", and as a
result they are always in memory and don't need to be on disk.