[comp.sys.amiga] Major AWRITE Problems!

dknight@tybalt.caltech.edu (David B. Knight) (02/29/88)

I am having some very MAJOR problems with the AWRITE command supplied with the
Bridgeboard.  I can't seem to copy files from the IBM side to the Amiga side
unless they are only about 100 bytes long.  I tried transferring a small (660
byte) file and it just created a file on the Amiga side that was "empty".  I
am very desperate, as I am running a Bulletin Board on the IBM side and I
needo to do lots of transfers back and forth.  AREAD works perfectly, and I
have used it successfully to transfer files larger than 300 K bytes!  Now it
seems that all of the files that my users upload I can't even look at on my
Amiga.  I don't want to have to buy a serial card for the IBM and transfer
the files using Kermit!  Please help me!

		Dave Knight

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/01/88)

In article <5598@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> dknight@tybalt.caltech.edu (David B. Knight) writes:
>I am having some very MAJOR problems with the AWRITE command supplied with the
>Bridgeboard.  I can't seem to copy files from the IBM side to the Amiga side
>unless they are only about 100 bytes long.  I tried transferring a small (660
>byte) file and it just created a file on the Amiga side that was "empty".  I
>am very desperate, as I am running a Bulletin Board on the IBM side and I
>needo to do lots of transfers back and forth.  AREAD works perfectly, and I
>have used it successfully to transfer files larger than 300 K bytes!  Now it
>seems that all of the files that my users upload I can't even look at on my
>Amiga.  I don't want to have to buy a serial card for the IBM and transfer
>the files using Kermit!  Please help me!

  Hmm.... very strange. I have used Awrite (and Aread) many a time for files
  with no problems. Check the size (byte count) of your Awrite program, mine
  is "10560". If thats not the problem, well lets see what happens first :-)

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

bill@cbmvax.UUCP (Bill Koester CATS) (03/01/88)

In article <5598@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> dknight@tybalt.caltech.edu (David B. Knight) writes:
>I am having some very MAJOR problems with the AWRITE command supplied with the
>Bridgeboard.  I can't seem to copy files from the IBM side to the Amiga side
>unless they are only about 100 bytes long.  I tried transferring a small (660
>byte) file and it just created a file on the Amiga side that was "empty".  I

Are you using a jlink drive?
Transfers to/from floppy will work. Some hard drive configurations could
give problems with the current release.

					BK

Bill Koester (CATS)            >>Commodore Amiga Technical Support<<
Commodore International Ltd.   UUCP {allegra|burdvax|rutgers|ihnp4}!cbmvax!bill
		               PHONE  (215) 431-9355
                Pleese desrigard eny spealing airors!!!!!!!

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (03/01/88)

In article <5598@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> dknight@tybalt.caltech.edu (David B. Knight) writes:
>I am having some very MAJOR problems with the AWRITE command supplied with the
>Bridgeboard.  I can't seem to copy files from the IBM side to the Amiga side
>unless they are only about 100 bytes long.  I tried transferring a small (660

Are you by some chance running a JLINKed virtual disk ?  If so, unlink
it before you start the aread/awrite transfer.
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

artw@pnet01.cts.com (Art Weiss) (03/03/88)

   Those AWRITE problems can be easily sloved. You mentioned that
>....I can't seem to copy files from the IBM side to the Amiga side unless
>they are about 100 bytes long.....

    I think I know just what your problem is. You need to use the /b switch in
your command like this:

  AWRITE df1:filename.ext a:filename.ext /b

You should have no problems once you use that switch. I had the same problem
in the beginning until I discovered that.

                                                 ...Art