[comp.sys.amiga] Printers and Compilers

bba@mtgzz.UUCP (XMRJ40000[pjc]-b.banerjee) (03/02/88)

Hi,

I  have   a  couple  of   questions  which  I'm  sure   that  the
knowledgeable readers of this group should have no problems with.
Replying to these should have two tangible benefits.

	a.  You increase your karma for the (after|next) life.
	b. I get  to post some cool software that  I'm working on
	   sooner.

First my  setup: I  have an A500  with 1 meg,  and a  single disk
drive. I have an NEC P6 printer  on the parallel port, and a 1200
bps modem on the serial port.

Now the questions.

1. I got a good buy on  the P6. It comes with parallel interface,
and a cable for  the IBM PC. I hooked it  up, generated a printer
driver with prtdrvgen (Off of the  Fish Disks) and decided to try
it out.

Anyhow, I couldn't  print anything out. I pulled  out the manuals
for both the A500 and the  P6. Looking at the interface diagrams,
I notice the following differences:

Pin	Amiga				P6

14	+5V Pullup			Auto Feed XT
16	Reset				No Connection
17	Frame Ground			Signal Ground
19-25	Signal Ground			Ground
26-30	   -				Ground
31	   -				Input Prime
32	   -				Fault
33	   -				Signal Ground
36	   -				Slct In

Now, first  of all  -- did I  fry my printer  because Pin  14 had
power on it? Secondly, how can I modify my cable so that my Amiga
speaks to my  printer. What's confusing is that  there appears to
be  3 varieties  of ground  -- 'Frame',  'Signal' and  just plain
vanilla ground. I'd appreciate your help with this.

The second question is more in the way of requesting advice.

2. I  picked up  a copy of  Manx C 3.6A  from the  local software
vendor. I bought the  'professional' package. Looking through the
documentation, it doesn't appear  to support function prototypes.
Does  anyone know  if this  facility is  currently supported,  or
shall be supported in the not too distant future?

Also, since I  don't have a 2nd  floppy, what is the  best way of
setting this  up so that I  can use it for  development. Since I
have 1 meg, I can put some stuff in ram:. The question is -- what
should I  put in ram:  to ensure the most  painless development.
Advice here would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (03/03/88)

In article <3689@mtgzz.UUCP> bba@mtgzz.UUCP (XMRJ40000[pjc]-b.banerjee) writes:
>Now, first  of all  -- did I  fry my printer  because Pin
  14 had
>power on it? Secondly, how can I modify my cable so that my Amiga
>speaks to my  printer. What's confusing is that  there appears to
>be  3 varieties  of ground  -- 'Frame',  'Signal' and  just plain
>vanilla ground. I'd appreciate your help with this.

I had this same dilemna a while ago.  I asked some dealers and other users,
and they all said it was "IBM-compatible."  But after looking at the pin-outs,
I wasn't sure.  So I just disconnected the ones that didn't seem to jive
exactly, and I checked all the connections, and it works.  Note that pin x
on the Centronics side does not necessarily go to to pin x on the
"IBM-compatible" side.  Some hardware type will have to explain all the
details, this is just my practical experience.  E-mail me if you want details.

Ken Chiu