[comp.sys.amiga] Amegas And/Or Crystal Hammer?

dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) (02/21/88)

Could someone let me know where I can get a copy
of Amegas or Crystal Hammer, preferably from a
bulletin board?

		Usual Thanx...

~    "...City girls just seem to find out early,        ~
~        How to open doors with just a smile..."        ~
~                                                       ~
~               Lyin Eyes, The Eagles                   ~
~							~
* David Geary, Boeing Aerospace Co., Seattle, WA 	  *
* I disclaim all disclaimers....			  *

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (02/23/88)

In article <1692@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>Could someone let me know where I can get a copy
>of Amegas or Crystal Hammer, preferably from a
>bulletin board?

Sorry, but neither Amegas nor Crystal Hammers are in the public domain.
Amegas you can buy in the store.  Crystal Hammers is unreleased.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ihnp4,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) (02/24/88)

in article <2078@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) says:
> In article <1692@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>>Could someone let me know where I can get a copy
>>of Amegas or Crystal Hammer, preferably from a
>>bulletin board?

> Sorry, but neither Amegas nor Crystal Hammers are in the public domain.
> Amegas you can buy in the store.  Crystal Hammers is unreleased.

Are you completely sure about this?  If so, where do you get this idea?  I'm
really interested in finding out if it (Crystal Hammer) is or isn't.  I've
looked through the code with a disk zap program, and it very plainly has the
words "Demo Copy" (or something close to it) embedded in it.  This sure sounds
like something that is distributable to me....
                             --Dave

--
David Guntner  UUCP: {ihnp4, codas}!killer!davidg  INET: davidg@killer.UUCP

"...Different ship, but she's got a good name.  Treat   --Admiral L. McCoy
 her like a lady, and she'll always bring you home."   "Encounter at Farpoint"

lupin3@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (-=/ Larry Hastings /=-) (02/25/88)

+-In article <3475@killer.UUCP>, davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) wrote:-
+----------

| in article <2078@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) says:
| > Sorry, but neither Amegas nor Crystal Hammers are in the public domain.
| > Amegas you can buy in the store.  Crystal Hammers is unreleased.
|
| Are you completely sure about this?  If so, where do you get this idea?  I'm
| really interested in finding out if it (Crystal Hammer) is or isn't.  I've
| looked through the code with a disk zap program, and it very plainly has the
| words "Demo Copy" (or something close to it) embedded in it.  This sure sounds
| like something that is distributable to me....
|                              --Dave

+----------

  This reminds me of something my brother did years ago...  he wanted to use
a real neat "hello" program on all his school Apple disks (a really nice menu)
but since it was copyrighted he figured the teacher would give him problems.
So he used a disk zap program, and went in and changed the message at the top
of the screen from "XYZ SUPER MENU... COPYRIGHT 1981 BY XYZ SYSTEMS" to
"GALACTIC MENU -- PUBLIC DOMAIN".
  If you want to feel clean, then kill the disk.  (Let he who has not sinned,
cast the first stone.....)

--
.. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .           . .. .  .   .    .     .      .       .        .         .          .           .
   /\\\  |   _  _ _   _ |_| _  _ |_ -__  _  _ARPA: lupin3@ucscb.ucsc.EDU         /\\ \\\ L_ (_\( ( (_/  | |(_\_\ (_ || )(_)_\UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!lupin3

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (02/26/88)

<
<Are you completely sure about this?  If so, where do you get this idea?  I'm
<really interested in finding out if it (Crystal Hammer) is or isn't.  I've
<looked through the code with a disk zap program, and it very plainly has the
<words "Demo Copy" (or something close to it) embedded in it.  This sure sounds
<like something that is distributable to me....
<                             --Dave

No, I'm not sure.  It's something I heard on Usenet a while ago.

I wouldn't be too quick to assume that "Demo Copy" means freely distributable.
It may just as well mean "This ain't finished yet."  Should I assume from your
disk perusal that "Copyright" does not appear anywhere?  Use your own judgement.

--

lishka@uwslh.UUCP (Christopher Lishka) (02/26/88)

In article <3475@killer.UUCP> davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) writes:
>in article <2078@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) says:
>> Sorry, but neither Amegas nor Crystal Hammers are in the public domain.
>> Amegas you can buy in the store.  Crystal Hammers is unreleased.
>
>Are you completely sure about this?  If so, where do you get this idea?  I'm
>really interested in finding out if it (Crystal Hammer) is or isn't.  I've
>looked through the code with a disk zap program, and it very plainly has the
>words "Demo Copy" (or something close to it) embedded in it.  This sure sounds
>like something that is distributable to me....
>                             --Dave

     Although it may have the words in it, who put them there is a
bigger issue.  I am sure that someone who has enough guts to upload
this program to a BBS could also go through the source looking for
some sort of message and change it to "Demo Copy".  And I wouldn't put
it past someone to do this either.

     From what has been posted to the net, Crystal Hammers seems not
to be in the Public Domain.  Based on the previous articles I informed
a friend on a local BBS that it was probably pirated, and the BBS
removed it from the collection.  I've seen this game, though, and if
it isn't public domain/sharware/whatever, I wish it would hit the
software stores RSN 'cause it really is something!

>David Guntner  UUCP: {ihnp4, codas}!killer!davidg  INET: davidg@killer.UUCP

					-Chris

--
Chris Lishka                    /lishka@uwslh.uucp
Wisconsin State Lab of Hygiene <-lishka%uwslh.uucp@rsch.wisc.edu

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (02/26/88)

In article <3475@killer.UUCP> davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) writes:
>in article <2078@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) says:
>> In article <1692@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:
>>>Could someone let me know where I can get a copy
>>>of Amegas or Crystal Hammer, preferably from a
>>>bulletin board?
>
>> Sorry, but neither Amegas nor Crystal Hammers are in the public domain.
>> Amegas you can buy in the store.  Crystal Hammers is unreleased.
>
>Are you completely sure about this?  If so, where do you get this idea?  I'm

A German company recently showed up on CompuServe, mentioning
that Crystal Hammer was theirs, and it shouldn't be posted,
or distributed.

It does look more than a 30 minute hack...
--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) (02/27/88)

in article <2091@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) says:
> In article <3475@killer.UUCP> davidg@killer.UUCP (David Guntner) writes:
> <in article <2078@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) says:
> <> Sorry, but neither Amegas nor Crystal Hammers are in the public domain.
> <> Amegas you can buy in the store.  Crystal Hammers is unreleased.

> <Are you completely sure about this?  If so, where do you get this idea?  I'm
> <really interested in finding out if it (Crystal Hammer) is or isn't.  I've
> <looked through the code with a disk zap program, and it very plainly has the
> <words "Demo Copy" (or something close to it) embedded in it.  This sure sounds
> <like something that is distributable to me....

> No, I'm not sure.  It's something I heard on Usenet a while ago.
> I wouldn't be too quick to assume that "Demo Copy" means freely distributable.
> It may just as well mean "This ain't finished yet."  Should I assume from your
> disk perusal that "Copyright" does not appear anywhere?  Use your own judgement.

I always thought that demo copies were intended to demo the product, and thus
were distributable (after all, wouldn't you want as many people to see, get, &
examine your demo so that they become inthrawled (sp???) with your program,
and will want to buy your software?  Just look at the New-Tek demo, for
example...).  That's where I got my assumption from.  Unfortunately, I can't
remember for sure if "Copyright" appears or not, but I don't think that it
does.

                            --Dave

--

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/28/88)

In article <2091@antique.UUCP>, cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) writes:
> I wouldn't be too quick to assume that "Demo Copy" means freely distributable.
> It may just as well mean "This ain't finished yet."  Should I assume from your
> disk perusal that "Copyright" does not appear anywhere?  Use your own judgement.

I perused the disk quite thoroughly, searched all binaries for any
imbedded text, etc.  There is no copyright notice in Crystal Hammer.
This in itself strongly suggests to me that it has been modified,
and is not legit.

--
------------
Eric Kennedy

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (02/28/88)

According to the publisher of Amegas, CrystalHammer was supposed to be
Amegas II. It's by the same people. It was to be published by Digitex
in Florida, who do the Spectrum Holobyte and Reline lines.
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) (02/29/88)

In article <703@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>It [Crystal Hammer] was to be published by Digitex
                     ^^^
>in Florida, who do the Spectrum Holobyte and Reline lines.

Does this mean that it is not going to be sold?  So if someone really wanted
it, they would have no choice but to use the pirate copy.  Or they could
always send a $20 check to Spectrum.

In article <3374@cbmvax.UUCP> andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) writes:
> A German company recently showed up on CompuServe, mentioning
> that Crystal Hammer was theirs, and it shouldn't be posted,
> or distributed.

Given the way the German government protects 'US' software from pirating
an irrational side of me would like to see every Amiga owner in the US
get a free copy of this. But no, I will not lower myself to their level
however I suggest anyone who cares write their congress critter and complain
about the looseness with which Germans tolerate software piracy. Maybe
we could force them to give us a discount on a Mercedes :-)

On a completely different note, here in my hand I am holding the
specifications for the CDC Swift drive. 3.5" form factor, 200 meg
unformatted, 172 Meg formatted capacity, SCSI interface and 16.5ms
seek time. Using only 12 Watts of power. Anyway, they say "samples
by June" whatever that means. In the mean time Connors continues to
back pedal on the 100M drive saying it isn't quite available yet in
spite of the rumors to the contrary. I'm collecting a list of 100+
megabyte 3.5" drives. If you know of one send me the name of the manufacturer
and I see if I can dig up more info on it and add it to the list.

--Chuck McManis

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/02/88)

In article <1901@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
> In article <703@nuchat.UUCP> peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> >It [Crystal Hammer] was to be published by Digitek

> Does this mean that it is not going to be sold?

It's up in the air.
--

lbrown@apctrc.UUCP (Lawrence H. Brown) (03/04/88)

In article <1692@ssc-vax.UUCP> dmg@ssc-vax.UUCP (David Geary) writes:

;Could someone let me know where I can get a copy
;of Amegas or Crystal Hammer, preferably from a
;bulletin board?
;* David Geary, Boeing Aerospace Co., Seattle, WA 	  *

When you find out, please post, I have some friends in the FBI that would
like to get a copy.

OHooo brother....
--
	Lawrence H. Brown