[comp.sys.amiga] Rollback, Runback, Sideshow, fixobj, ATV3d, amyload, mwb

ugpete@sunybcs (Peter Theobald) (03/03/88)

<<Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Line eater knows!>>

Does anyone know what the following programs do?

Rollback, runback, sideshow, ATV3d, amyload, mwb.
And does anyone know the difference between 'fixobj' that is 6912 bytes long,
and 'fixobj' that is 16376 bytes long?

I gather that runback runs programs in the background; How does this differ
from just 'run'ing a program?

	Thanks in advance,
		Pete

Peter Theobald				SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
internet: ugpete@cs.buffalo.edu		bitnet: ugpete@sunybcs.BITNET
uucp: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugpete
csnet:	ugpete@buffalo.CSNET

>Does anyone know what the following programs do?
>
>Rollback, runback, sideshow, ATV3d, amyload, mwb.

	mwb is a program I wrote which allows you to divert applications
which normally open windows on the workbench screen to open those windows
on an mwb-created screen.  It consists of two programs: mwb and
mwb_resident.  The resident portion takes about 2.5K of memory, and patches
OpenWindow() and CloseWindow().

	The mwb-created screens (can be more than one) are specifiable in
height, width, graphics modes, etc...  The purpose is to allow one to
unclutter his working enviroment.  For instance, I usually place my
terminal window on a separate mwb screen.

	mwb was distributed on the net a very long time ago.

				-Matt

In article <8960@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>And does anyone know the difference between 'fixobj' that is 6912 bytes long,
>and 'fixobj' that is 16376 bytes long?

I suspect one was compiled with Lattice and the other Manx, in the early
stages that would result in these size differences.

>I gather that runback runs programs in the background; How does this differ
>from just 'run'ing a program?

The difference is that Runback allocates a filehandle the points to the
bitbucket (NIL:) and passes them as StdIn and StdOut. The regular Run
command will pass locks on the current CLI window. The advantage comes
when you exit the CLI with EndCLI. If there are outstanding locks on the
CLI window, the window will not close. RunBack alleviates this allowing
you to end the CLI before the programs you have "run" from it exit.

Also note that this is where those mysterious 40 bytes go, there are
two locks on NIL: that get created and never freed.

--Chuck McManis

cthulhu@athena.mit.edu (Jim Reich) (03/05/88)

In article <8960@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
>Does anyone know what the following programs do?
>
>Rollback
Rollback allows you to scroll up through old CLI input and output and cut and
paste it into editors and such.
> sideshow
I'm not absolutely sure, but I THINK it lets you type commands in a window
and then shoot them over into CLI -- I think it works with rollback.
> mwb
Lets you open Multiple WorkBenches.  In other words, you can have more than
one Workbench screen with various applications open on each...

>I gather that runback runs programs in the background; How does this differ
>from just 'run'ing a program?
Runback allows you to run a program as a process independant of the CLI that
started it.  You may notice that if you RUN a program from a CLI window, then
ENDCLI that window, the window will hang around until you kill the dependant
process.  Runback lets you close down that CLI.

							-- Jim