[comp.sys.amiga] Zoo: What is it and where do I get it????

jmpi@ur-tut.UUCP (Spike) (03/04/88)

HELP!!!

What is this Zoo thingie?  Did it come over the net?  I assume it's some kind
of file packer/unpacker.  Where can I get it?  If someone has it, would he/she
mind emailing me a copy?  I want ARP, but I need Zoo first.

Thanks.

 John "Reality Is Optional" Pisello--University of Rochester Computing Center
                                                                          ///
     ARPA:  jmpi%UR-TUT@SEISMO.ARPA                        Another Proud ///
   BITNet:  jmpi_ss@UORDBV.BITNET                            Amiga User ///
     UUCP:  jmpi@UR-TUT.UUCP                                        \\\///
  US Mail:  P.O. Box 28858  River Station  Rochester, NY 14627       \XX/

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (03/05/88)

In article <1094@ur-tut.UUCP>, jmpi@ur-tut.UUCP (Spike) writes:
> What is this Zoo thingie?  Did it come over the net?  I assume it's some kind
> of file packer/unpacker.  Where can I get it?  If someone has it, would he/she
> mind emailing me a copy?  I want ARP, but I need Zoo first.

Yes, Zoo is a file archiver (much like ARC, only better), and was posted
to the comp.binaries.amiga group quite recently (at v1.71).  It is also
on Fish Disk #108 (v1.42b), GEnie, and most BBS's that I log onto.  I
imagine it's in the comp.binaries.amiga archives at Purdue as well (if you
can FTP into them).

I have been told by Brian Waters (who does the Amiga ports of Zoo) that v2.0
will be coming along RSN, so a repost of the current version probably isn't
warrented.  Also, v2.0 for UNIX(R) maxchines is supposed to be getting posted
to one of the appropriate source/binaries groups "RSN" (has been sent to
the moderator already).

Hope this will help you to locate a copy.  If not, you can send me a formatted
floppy, and SASE return mailer to the address below, and I'll make you a copy.

/kim

P.S.  The reason I used Zoo to post the ARP files is because there are
           some very long file names (especially the docs), and I refuse to
      futz-around with file renamers, etc. trying to make ARC do a job it
      was never designed for.  Zoo also can handle subdirectories, which
      ARC cannot do, and by my tests (see recent previous posting on
      ARC vs. ZOO vs. PKARC), does compression at least as good as ARC
      (though not as good as a PKARC would do [if were available]).

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim