[comp.sys.amiga] HELP!! Adding an A2000 internal 5 1/4" drive

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Lee) (02/09/88)

Help!  I'm attempting to interface an IBM compatible 5 1/4" drive (Qume)
to my B2000 and mount it internally (where a hard drive will eventually go).
I have the Amazing Computing article (vol. #1, issue #4, I think) and after
staring at it, it seems easy--too easy!  After perusing the Hardware
Reference manual, it states (in the appendix, disk connector interface) that
Amiga drives has an identification mode that basically goes:

	1.  Controller asserts SELxB\
	2.  Controller asserts MTRxB\
	3.  Controller de-asserts MTRxB\
	4.  Controller deaserts SELxB\
	5.  Begin ID loop.  Controller asserts SELxB\ and the drive will
	    respond with the next bit of its ID on RDY\.
	6.  Controller deasserts SELxB\.  Repeat 5-6 until all 32 bits of
	    the drive's ID has been sent, MSB first.  3-1/2" drives are
	    assigned an ID of 0xffffffff and 5-1/4" drives have an ID of
	    0x55555555.

(Signal names may be off, I don't have the manual with me at the minutes, but
 they can't be confused.  the '\' means the signal is active low.)

Now the Amazing Computing article's interface doesn't address this ID
mode at all, and the vanilla 5-1/4" drives don't have an ID mode.  So
my question is:  Is the ID mode used at all, and can I get away without
it?  Since the Hardware Reference manual (Addison-Wesley) was made for
the A1000 and a very early version at that, perhaps the ID function was
ignored under later versions of AmigaDOS.  Thanks in advance!

					John Lee

UUCP:	 ...!ucbvax!cory!johnhlee
ARPAnet: johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU

johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Lee) (02/11/88)

(Sorry if you've seen this already, but my previous posting didn't seem
 to go outside Berkeley.)

ssd@sugar.UUCP (Scott Denham) (03/05/88)

In article <624@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu>, johnhlee@cory.Berkeley.EDU (John Lee) writes:
> Help!  I'm attempting to interface an IBM compatible 5 1/4" drive (Qume)
> to my B2000 and mount it internally (where a hard drive will eventually go).
> I have the Amazing Computing article (vol. #1, issue #4, I think) and after
> staring at it, it seems easy--too easy!  After perusing the Hardware
> Reference manual, it states (in the appendix, disk connector interface) that
 (descripton of signal names deleted)
> my question is:  Is the ID mode used at all, and can I get away without
> it?  Since the Hardware Reference manual (Addison-Wesley) was made for
> the A1000 and a very early version at that, perhaps the ID function was
> ignored under later versions of AmigaDOS.  Thanks in advance!
>
> 					John Lee

In a word, no. The ID's gotta be there if you want to use the drive as
 a) a half-sized Amiga DOS drive (I.E. you MOUNT it)   or
 b) with the utilities provided on the 1.2 disk.
I don't know about DOS-2-DOS or Transformer; I'd assume Transformer would
work, since that's the environment for which the Amazing Computing
article was intended. You can do the ID mode with the other side of the
'74 you already have for a motor latch - there are a couple of circuit
descriptions floating about on how to do this.
The current versions of the OS are picky indeed about this ID, and if it
isn't there, than neither is the disk drive! It also gets unhappy if you
get your flips and flops wrong trying to generate it! (voice of experience)

                                            Scott Denham