[comp.sys.amiga] New Assigns. CLI Paths and such.

>The command path is meant to provide multiple lock style
>capability.

	The major problem with the command path is that it doesn't
allow you to make generic specifications.  For instance, if you are
on a one-drive system, and you want to switch from your workbench disk
to a working disk (which happens to have many workbench and other commands
in the C directory), you MUST MANUALLY re-assign C: to the new disk.

	What I want to see are SYMBOLIC paths.  And I want to be able
to specify that a path search NOT put up a requestor when a specified
volume is not mounted.  This is one of the major reasons I wrote the
shell.  But even the shell doesn't help when you RUN something or execute
something (like make) which executes other things.

	For instance, in DME1.29, the referencing command searches S: AND all
the floppies for df?:s/dme.refs , and does NOT put up a requestor if
there is no floppy in the drive or if the floppy that was there has
been changed.  It means I can simply stick in the floppy which contains
the proper reference material and immediate execute the DME command without
having to reassign anything.

	Since a directory search for a specific file takes virtually no
time, having 10 or even 15 symbolic paths takes very little time to
search (consider also that these paths usually get cached by the DOS
buffers), and some of those links do not have to be mounted.

	On an IBM PC, this is not the case.  Although the paths are
symbolic, the entire directory for each path must be searched even when
looking for a specific file, causing all sorts of disk activity.

					-Matt

pete@violet.berkeley.edu (03/07/88)

In article <8803032154.AA08656@cory.Berkeley.EDU> dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:

>         The major problem with the command path is that it doesn't
> allow you to make generic specifications.  For instance, if you are
> on a one-drive system, and you want to switch from your workbench disk
> to a working disk (which happens to have many workbench and other commands
> in the C directory), you MUST MANUALLY re-assign C: to the new disk.

No, Matt -- you don't have to do that...  The path is intended for EXACTLY
that purpose.  I have a "utilities" disk, which I always keep in my path,
even though it is hardly ever actually in the drive.  I just pop it in
when I happen to want to do a uudecode or something.

>         What I want to see are SYMBOLIC paths.  And I want to be able
> to specify that a path search NOT put up a requestor when a specified
> volume is not mounted.        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

...it doesn't!  At least not if the CLI (or RUN) is searching the path;
asking for a display of the current path with the PATH command itself WILL
put up a requestor if the volume isn't mounted, but that's probably a good
idea. (This is probably the cause of the misunderstanding.)

                                        -- Pete --

:
:....it doesn't!  At least not if the CLI (or RUN) is searching the path;
:asking for a display of the current path with the PATH command itself WILL
:put up a requestor if the volume isn't mounted, but that's probably a good
:idea. (This is probably the cause of the misunderstanding.)
:
:
:                                        -- Pete --

	Yes, but I can't put all the assign's I want in my startup
script because ASSIGN itself requires the destination be mounted before
it adds it to my path.  I want to put an arbitrary disk in an arbitrary
drive and be able to run commands from that disk's c directory (read:
whatever symbolic directory paths I choose) without having to do any
kind of initialization.

	It gets even worse when you have several CLI's lying around.

				-Matt