[comp.sys.amiga] Browser 2.0 idea.

peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (03/03/88)

Anybody have any nifty ideas for what I can do with a public message port
in Browser?

One thing I thought of would be to allow someone to send me a message that
said "Hi! I just wrote this file to the disk. Here's the name and lock.
Why don't you stick it in your window if you happen to have this directory
open.". Or "Hi, I just deleted this file..."

Or how about "Hi, I want to be a tool. When you want me to wake up just send
the WBStartup message to this port."

Or how about "Hi, I want to be a tool. Just give me WBStartup messages to
this port when someone drops files in this window."

Anyone interested in becoming integrated?
--
-- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'
-- normally  ...!hoptoad!academ!uhnix1!sugar!peter                U

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (03/07/88)

In article <724@nuchat.UUCP>, peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
> Anybody have any nifty ideas for what I can do with a public message port
> in Browser?
>
> Anyone interested in becoming integrated?
> --
> -- a clone of Peter (have you hugged your wolf today) da Silva  `-_-'

If you are going to do the public message port thing anyway, why not
go with what COULD become a standard, and make it respond as an AREXX
port might respond.  AREXX ports receive from AREXX (or anybody else
for that matter) a message that looks remarkably like an AmigaDOS
packet, with up to 15 parameters, each of which is an APTR, but could
be used to pass something else if desired.  And there is a result1 and
result2 field in the message structure for return of the results.

I almost have the last bugs out of adding an AREXX port to SpeechToy
(I know more about doing the port than I did before, and am making
fewer mistakes).  I have not used AREXX extensively, but I can see
lots of possibilities in it.  When I have the SpeechToy mods done,
I will post it, with the AREXX mods easily visible, so show others
that it is really not so hard to do.

Published standards make it a lot easier to integrate tools.  I think
AREXX has a good idea.

DISCLAIMER:  I am just a satisfied customer (and a tool junky).
I have no connection with the author of AREXX.

Rob Peck			...ihnp4!hplabs!ardent!rap

pete@violet.berkeley.edu (03/07/88)

In article <325@ardent.UUCP> rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:

| In article <724@nuchat.UUCP>, peter@nuchat.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
| > Anybody have any nifty ideas for what I can do with a public message port
| > in Browser?
|
| If you are going to do the public message port thing anyway, why not
| go with what COULD become a standard, and make it respond as an AREXX
| port might respond.  AREXX ports receive from AREXX (or anybody else
| for that matter) a message that looks remarkably like an AmigaDOS
| packet, with up to 15 parameters, each of which is an APTR, but could
| be used to pass something else if desired.  And there is a result1 and
| result2 field in the message structure for return of the results.

Arggghhh!  I was scared it would be something like that.  I've been asking
for months for someone to tell me the AREXX format.  Maybe people were just
afraid of the reaction...

Sorry Rob, but now I like AREXX even less than I thought I might.  (See the
"IPC..." correspondence for some hopefully more useable conventions.)

                                -- Pete --
                               (no relation to Peter of the above...!)