[comp.sys.amiga] magic sac for the Amiga?

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (02/23/88)

Last thing I heard (just a rumor), the magic sac for the amiga has
been shelved indefinitely. Maybe Data Pacific needs a little
encouragement that there is a market for  such a thing. I do know
that their device to read/write mac diskettes using Atari drives
has been out for a couple of months, and seems to work well (albeit
slowly).
   Please, someone, tell me I'm wrong about this! I really don't
want/need a full time mac. Magic Sac would be very handy.
--hal

mende@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) (02/25/88)

In article <307NETOPRHM@NCSUVM> NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) writes:
} Last thing I heard (just a rumor), the magic sac for the amiga has
} been shelved indefinitely. Maybe Data Pacific needs a little
} encouragement that there is a market for  such a thing.  ...
} --hal

   If anyone knows the address for Data Pacific please post it.   I
too would like a part time mac and this seems to be the way to go.

				   /Bob
--
     mende@rutgers.edu    {...}!rutgers!mende    mende@zodiac.bitnet

Time to make the software! Time to make the software!

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/01/88)

In article <307NETOPRHM@NCSUVM> NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) writes:
>Last thing I heard (just a rumor), the magic sac for the amiga has
>been shelved indefinitely. Maybe Data Pacific needs a little
>encouragement that there is a market for  such a thing.

Last I heard, the Magic Sac project had been scrapped.  The reason was
that Apple will no longer sell the Mackintosh roms unless you can
prove that you own a Mac.  Hence, you couldn't run a Magic Sac if you
owned one.

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

andre@gtss.UUCP (Andre Frech) (03/03/88)

In article <334@porthos.rutgers.edu>, mende@porthos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende) writes:

> In article <307NETOPRHM@NCSUVM> NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) writes:

> } Last thing I heard (just a rumor), the magic sac for the amiga has
> } been shelved indefinitely. Maybe Data Pacific needs a little
> } encouragement that there is a market for  such a thing.  ...

>    If anyone knows the address for Data Pacific please post it.   I
> too would like a part time mac and this seems to be the way to go.

And the address is (envelope please):

Data Pacific, Inc.
609 E. Speer Blvd.
Denver, CO 80203
303-733-8158

I got this address at Comdex/Fall, and the person's card was Dan Moore,
who I think was somehow involved with the magic sac project.  Hope this helps.

Andre Frech                            Commodore Business Machines
...gatech!gtss!andre                   535A Colonial Park Drive
...rutgers!cbmvax!andre                Suite 100; Roswell GA 30075
[I think these are them...]            404-587-3883

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (03/06/88)

Do you ever wonder... Is it remotely possible that Apple or IBM or whomever
coerce or payoff developers to shelve things for the Amiga?  I always get that
strange feeling when something I'd really like to see, and supposedly is
possible, is shelved.  There is absolutely nothing I am aware of in support of
this feeling.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (03/07/88)

In article <2782@gryphon.CTS.COM> bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) writes:
>Do you ever wonder... Is it remotely possible that Apple or IBM or whomever
>coerce or payoff developers to shelve things for the Amiga?  I always get that
>strange feeling when something I'd really like to see, and supposedly is
>possible, is shelved.  There is absolutely nothing I am aware of in support of
>this feeling.

Most likely it's the Disgruntled Users of Atari Lobby (DUAL).  Seems like
they'll do anything to make our rain on their parade less wet...

Question: do you think that since the "Amiga Magic Sac" has been shelved it
would be possible somhow to coerce somone into releasing whatever amount of
design work had been done to the public domain? (Yes, that was a real unwieldy
sentence).  I think some bright person out there could either decide it really
won't work, or make it possible to "do it at home", and I don't see why it
couldn't be done with eprom copies of the Mac roms.  (Even more reason for it
to be a do it yourselfer, can't see a company endorsing the copying of apple's
roms, do you?  Maybe THAT is why the project was shelved)

     Snail Mail:       Real Mail:
*-------------------* "You bought a COMMODORE!? YICK!!"   \\///