[comp.sys.amiga] magic sac

ravi@mcnc.UUCP (01/31/87)

In article <2326@jade.BERKELEY.EDU> korn@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Peter "Arrgh" Korn) writes:

>>Also, if you like Mac software, you can get a cartridge relatively
>>cheaply that plugs into the st case and presto -- color Mac.
>>Apparently, the ST actually runs many Mac program faster than the
>>Mac...

>I hate to continue this discussion, but the above assertion is an outright
>LIE!
>
>Some friends of mine who own Atari ST machines came over to my house
>one evening with their STs and their Mac-Cartridges, and we systematically
>tried my entire software collection (over 100 programs, public domain
>and otherwise) .  LESS THAT 5% OF IT RAN!

	Let's not get carried away Peter.. perhaps you guys were less
than careful with the testing.  I've had considerable success with the
Sac, certainly far greater than 5%.  The main thing is to have
patience, and try the current *and* previous revs of the driver
software, and also finders 4.1 and 1.1g, and *not* 5.x.  After some
initial trial and error, I've gotten almost everything I needed to
run, and I know of others who use many other programs that are important
in the Mac context (one guy actually does his user group newsletter
with RSG!)

>These friends, who had been chiding me continuously for the past few
>weeks that their ataris "would be a mac for $100's less, and faster too"
>quickly changed their tune after actually testing the product.

	Too bad, they missed out on a goodie.. perhaps you can tell
them about this, and I'd be glad to correspond if they have
questions.

>Unfortunately, I've noticed this phenomenon occuring a lot more in people
>who are Atari fanatics.  I trust that this is just a statistical anomoly...

	Hmm.. I smell the bl**d of an Amigaian..

>  But don't be fooled into thinking that you can get a mac
> w/out getting a mac...

	Boy, I'm sure glad I got fooled!

>Peter "try it before you preach about it" Korn

	Perhaps that ought to be 'try it carefully with an open mind' ?
>-----
>Peter "Arrgh" Korn

								-ravi

NETOPRHM@NCSUVM.BITNET (Hal Meeks) (03/08/88)

A continuation...
  I sent out a letter today to Data Pacific. Thanx to whoever posted
it. I recommend anyone who has an interest in this product do likewise.

Please, no speculation! Let's deal in facts.
1. Mac 64k roms are still available. You can get them either by
   buying them outright, or buying a 128k Mac motherboard.
   Pre-owned Electronics is selling both. 64k roms - $39.00
   128k motherboard - $140.00 (I think). There are also a lot
   of motherboards floating around in the "hacker's market".
2. Magic Sac will not work with cloned roms. I don't know why,
   but I understand why. It allows them to sell magic sac as
   an "enhancement" for the Mac. Endorsing the copying of roms
   is a real good way to end up in court, and Apple has really
   good lawyers. They could easily kill a small company like
   Data Pacific with the cost of litigation alone.
3. I don't think there is a conspiracy afoot to keep the Amiga
   down. Apple really has little to lose by letting the Amiga
   emulate a 512k Mac; the better software now available for the
   Macintosh prefers the 128k rom set. The 64k set is quickly
   becoming obsolete.

I know that David Small (the prime mover behind Magic Sac) occasionally
logs onto The Well. Userid is dsmall, if someone wants to leave him
a note. I encourage people to do as I have done; send a short note
saying "I would buy it if it was available". Don't request literature
if you don't need it. Just encourage them to re-think releasing an
Amiga version. This is a small company, that sells a very slick
product. They don't have major dollars to throw around.

The urgency with which I need a mac emulator has died somewhat. Hypercard?
Has anyone looked at Microfiche Filer recently? It does a lot of the
same things, in more colors. Drawing programs? enough said. Word processors?
I am still looking. Haven't found anything yet that stacks up to Word 3.01
(or Fullwrite Professional, if they can kill the bugs). But I have faith.

--hal