[comp.sys.amiga] Help with HAM & EHB in IFF

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (03/08/88)

Hi All!
	I have almost finished a library I've been working on for
low these many weeks, and I need some help.  I was sticking in
some routines for saving specified screens in IFF format and other
routines for displying such images.  However, I can't find the
accepted way for indicating that the image is in HAM or EHB mode.
I could assume 6 bit planes = HAM but this would be a TERRIBLE thing
to have to do!!!  Sould I send in for more recent IFF docs?
	Of course, if someone could mail me his/her sources for such
things I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.  My present coding is built
around the code from the IFF disk... (Argh).
	Oh yes, I should have the object code library (Lattice) ready
for release in under a month.  The sources will be about 200K.
(Up to 180K now.) The docs will be the hardest part.

Thanks in Advance For Any Help!

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

In article <517@wuphys.UUCP> lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) writes:

>Hi All!
>	I have almost finished a library I've been working on for
>low these many weeks, and I need some help.  I was sticking in
>some routines for saving specified screens in IFF format and other
>routines for displying such images.  However, I can't find the
>accepted way for indicating that the image is in HAM or EHB mode.
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^^
>I could assume 6 bit planes = HAM but this would be a TERRIBLE thing
>to have to do!!!  Sould I send in for more recent IFF docs?
>	Of course, if someone could mail me his/her sources for such
>things I would be ETERNALLY GRATEFUL.  My present coding is built
>around the code from the IFF disk... (Argh).

The HAM, EHB, or Dual Playfield information should be stored in a "CAMG"
chunk, which is specific to the Commodore Amiga. This is a LONG "Amiga
Viewmode". This chunk is also used for properly storing the "overscan"
or PAL/NTSC size.  An example of proper use is in the ScreenSave program
by Carolyn Scheppner included in the latest IFF disk from CATS.  Also some
extra information on changes to that document is available on page 4 of the
September/October issue of AmigaMail.

-- Marco