[comp.sys.amiga] Teaching with the Amiga

Marcus_Siskin@um.cc.umich.edu (03/07/88)

  I am involved with teaching foreign languages here at the Univ. of Michigan
and we are beginning to impliment computer assisted instruction.  Since
many of you on Comp.Sys.Amiga are affiliated with universities, could you
E-mail me with contacts at schools that are using the Amiga in instruction.
I am a member of a national organization of users of IBM and MACs in
education so please don't bother sending me contacts for departments using
just those two brands.  I am specifically looking for other Amiga educators.
-
In a related topic, I am looking for a routine I can call from a Basic
program to play sampled sounds.  This will be part of a demo program I am
writing to show what the amiga can do in foreign language teaching.
If you know of a program or routine out there please let me know.
Thanks in advance!
         Marcus_Siskin
         Language Lab at Univ. of Michigan.
@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@*@@*@*
Parlez vous Amiga?  Habla Intuition??? Spreken zee C?  (imagine chinese here)
*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^@^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*^*
Marcus_Siskin@um.cc.umich.edu       Working for the College of Literature
                                    Science and the Arts
Snail Mail:  2015 Modern Languages Building
             Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (03/09/88)

In article <3817@umix.cc.umich.edu> Marcus_Siskin@um.cc.umich.edu writes:

>-
>In a related topic, I am looking for a routine I can call from a Basic
>program to play sampled sounds.  This will be part of a demo program I am
>writing to show what the amiga can do in foreign language teaching.
>If you know of a program or routine out there please let me know.
>Thanks in advance!
>         Marcus_Siskin
>         Language Lab at Univ. of Michigan.

You may be interested in an approach I have taken to foreign language
for my own vacation travel use.

I have used the Director to set up a .film which does the following while
I am working with my A1000 writing letters, painting pictures or trying
to write C programs etc.

The .film pauses for 1 to 3 minutes. Then it calls the say command
to say a random selection of phrases. For example:
"Richard Richard pay atttention. Say How are you in Chinese."
It pauses for a few seconds, then says "Nee how"  I have played around
with the spelling to make the sounds as best as I can interpret them
from a travel guide. I have also written a short C command that calls
the narrator directly without going through the translator. This allows
me better control over the sound of the speaking. However it takes more
effort to write the Phonemes for this. This is helpful to me as a traveler.

Good luck with your efforts to use an Amiga for language instruction.

Richard Foy