[comp.sys.amiga] WXModem and Plink ??

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (03/02/88)

In the April issue of Amiga World there is an artical that talks about
commercial networks.  In the artical they mention that on Plink you can
use WXmodem protocol for downloading.  I was wondering if this is true.
I've used Plink at 1200 baud and only found Xmodem or ASCII
to be the options offered.

I am also a little confused about the different protocols.  What is the
difference between Xmodem and WXmodem and is WXmodem the same as Xmodem-CRC.

If WXmodem is available on Plink, can some one tell me how it is used and
is the diffenence worth it.

Lance Holmes

In article <1130@raybed2.UUCP> lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) writes:
>In the April issue of Amiga World there is an artical that talks about
>commercial networks.  In the artical they mention that on Plink you can
>use WXmodem protocol for downloading.  I was wondering if this is true.
>I've used Plink at 1200 baud and only found Xmodem or ASCII
>to be the options offered.

It is true.  WXMODEM was developed for PLINK I believe by Peter Boswell.
Comm 1.4 (I don't recall whether this is PD or shareware) supports WXMODEM.
It has been available at least from June 1986 (that's the date of the WXMODEM
manual I have).  The problem is that it is currently supported ONLY by PLINK,
and no other service or BBSs.  WXMODEM stands for Windowed XMODEM.  Quickly,
it tries to obtain faster throughput by acknowkedging only some of the packets,
and it tries to overcome propagation delays over networks, flow control
problems, and error recovery.  Unfortunately for fans of WXMODEM, most
networks and BBS systems are adopting Chuck Forsberg's ZMODEM, which offers
even faster throughput, file size/date transmission, recovery of unterrupted
transmission and a host of other options.  BIX just installed it, and most
BBSs support it (BBS-PS, OPUS, etc...).  That is one of the reasons we decided
to go with ZMODEM instead of WXMODEM for A-Talk III.

>I am also a little confused about the different protocols.  What is the
>difference between Xmodem and WXmodem and is WXmodem the same as Xmodem-CRC.

Download a copy of the document "Xmodem, CRC Xmodem, Wxmodem -- File Transfer
Protocols" available on PLINK (I haven't logged in on PLINK in quite a while so
I don't recall the name of the file).

>If WXmodem is available on Plink, can some one tell me how it is used and
>is the diffenence worth it.

Again, instructions are on PLINK.  I hope this helps.

-- Marco

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (03/07/88)

Marco - To clarify and correct just a tad...
1) Yes, Peter Boswell authored the WXmodem protocol.  The protocol was
placed in the p/d and the source code to it (which I gave you some time
ago) is available in C, Basic, and Turbo Pascal in various libraries
on Plink.

2) The last release version of Dan James' COMM was 1.34. Dan has tweaked
up some later versions but chosen not to release any of them, rather
preferring to release his source code and let others hack away at it.
COMM is completely and utterly public domain, not shareware as was
mentioned in Peg Herrington's AW article (April '88 issue).

3) Other terminal programs incorporating WXmodem are:
   Dr. Term Professional from Progressive Peripherals & Software, just
      now being released
   ACO - the Amiga Conference, shareware by Stephen Pietrowicz
   Access - shareware by Keith Young
   AmicTerm - shareware and/or commercial (depends on the version) by
     Dave Salas
   SKETerm - from SKE software

   WXmodem has been promised for Diga! from Aegis in the next upgrade
   whenever that is scheduled to occur.

4) To say that Plink, and no other services, use WXmodem is untrue.
Delphi, another commercial service, has it, as do some BBSs but I'd have
to do some investigation to tell you which BBS numbers apply.

5) As to the previous poster's question about "How to use WXmodem on Plink"
I'll cover that here too... since protocol is always controlled by the
receiver, if one is downloading from Plink, one need only request Plink
to send via Xmodem, and then choose "WXmodem receive" on one's terminal
software.  When uploading to Plink, one would choose Xmodem and then
Plink will poll your terminal with a series of W characters to see if
you're WXmodem capable. If so, transfer will commence using WXmodem. If
not, protocol will fall back to CRC-Xmodem and finally to checksum
if CRC is not available on the sender's terminal.  Thus Plink need not
show WXmodem as a choice for file transfer.

I use WXmodem on Plink ever day of my life and going through Telenet
I'm normally moving in excess of 100 Xmodem blocks/minute @ 2400 baud.
Not too shabby considering all the delays induced through the packet
switching.

This is not to say that WXmodem is the end-all be-all of binary file
transfer protocols.  I'd love to see Zmodem implemented on Plink too.
It comes down to a matter of development costs, return on investment,
and so on.

disclaimer: I run the AmigaZone on Plink. I'm not a Plink employee.
I don't speak officially for Plink.

Harv Laser, Sysop, the People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink ID: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
"The man in the crowd with the multicolored mirrors on his hobnail boots"

hrlaser@gryphon.CTS.COM (Harv Laser) (03/07/88)

In article <2789@gryphon.CTS.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:

>3) Other terminal programs incorporating WXmodem are:
>   ACO - the Amiga Conference, shareware by Stephen Pietrowicz
WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!! <sigh... that's what I get for chewing
pizza and typing at the same time>

ACO is Copyright 1987 and 1988 by Stephen Pietrowicz.  It is NOT
shareware nor public domain.  The new ACO-3 is tentatively scheduled
for release on the weekend of March 12th and will incorporate digitized
sampled sounds and other enhancements.  Commodore Magazine, December 1987
had a nice sidebar article on ACO with a color screenshot.

Sorry bout that Steve :-}

--
Harv Laser, Sysop, the People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink ID: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax, rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
"The man in the crowd with the multicolored mirrors on his hobnail boots"

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/08/88)

Hey Harv - how about WXmodem for Unix !!!

I'd do it, but I'm just so busy these days... :-)

See y'all at the DevCon,
Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

boblind@percival.UUCP (Bob Lindstrom) (03/09/88)

In article <1130@raybed2.UUCP> lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) writes:

>If WXmodem is available on Plink, can some one tell me how it is used and
>is the diffenence worth it.

Lance:
	The difference IS worth it. If you choose the XMO option and just
start a Wxodem Receive option from within your terminal program, such as
Access or Comm, P-Link automatically will detect the WXmodem transfer
procedure.

--
| Troutdale Shrine of Computing       **   Bob Lindstrom, perpetrator      |