[comp.sys.amiga] RMBTRAP underused

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (03/04/88)

I see many, many programs, both commercial and PD, that open windows, don't
use menus, and also don't use RMBTRAP. This results in the screen being locked
whenever the right mouse button is pressed while that window is active, and
the screen's top line being obscured.

If you write a windowing program with no menus, please use RMBTRAP and just
ignore the MENUUP / MENUDOWN messages.

Is there a good reason why the CLI window doesn't do this?

John

:
:Is there a good reason why the CLI window doesn't do this?
:
:John

	Is there a good reason why it should?  Really now, this is hardly
a bug and certainly doesn't hurt anything.  In fact, it's a good way to
'freeze' output in certain cases.

	If you are in the habit of hitting the menu button in windows which
have no menus, then simply get out of the habit.  If not, then it doesn't
happen anyway.

					-Matt

andy@cbmvax.UUCP (Andy Finkel) (03/08/88)

In article <4558@garfield.UUCP> john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) writes:
>I see many, many programs, both commercial and PD, that open windows, don't
>use menus, and also don't use RMBTRAP. This results in the screen being locked
>Is there a good reason why the CLI window doesn't do this?

Yes...but I'll answer a question with a question...Why are
you holding down the right mount button on the CLI window ?
(assuming you've learned the CLI has no menus)  The answer
is, its a quick way to suspend output, without having to
press a key, and delete that key.

Here's a question for you: what benefit is there in removing
this behavior ?

--
andy finkel		{ihnp4|seismo|allegra}!cbmvax!andy
Commodore-Amiga, Inc.

"Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle."

john13@garfield.UUCP (John Russell) (03/08/88)

[ this part is me ]

Matt Dillon writes:

>	If you are in the habit of hitting the menu button in windows which
>have no menus, then simply get out of the habit.  If not, then it doesn't
>happen anyway.

    I use ClickUpFront quite a bit so I'm stuck with clicking the RMB in
all sorts of windows. And if there are a lot of windows overlapping the title
bar the refreshing can be annoyingly slow.

    Plus when I let some Amiga-novice try out my computer, it doesn't make a
good impression that he can grind the system to a halt by pressing one of the
mouse buttons. I'd rather have minor irritating behaviour like this fixed
(eg the click-in-the-window behaviour fixed by Heliosmouse) than have to
remember (and explain to others) warning after warning of the type "don't do
X in this or that situation, but do it in this other situation". And this
isn't a system-wide thing, it can be fixed by adding a single word to a
source file. Then programs which don't use menus will ignore the RMB. In the
meantime, there are 3 different things that happen when you press:

	1) menu pops down
	2) nothing, since program has no menus
	3) screen freezes, title bar goes blank but no menu

    That's the kind of unreliable / inconsistent behaviour I look for and
criticize on other computers so in fairness I have to point out Amiga examples
too. I've seen Atari demos where they say "OK, just sit back and don't touch
the mouse!". My response?

"Hey, what happens if you move the mouse? Boy, that sure screwed up the
screen!" :-).

Anyway, it's a pet peeve of mine.

John

:
:    I use ClickUpFront quite a bit so I'm stuck with clicking the RMB in
:all sorts of windows. And if there are a lot of windows overlapping the title
:bar the refreshing can be annoyingly slow.

	Oh?  I've always used the left mouse button for ClickUpFront.
:
:    Plus when I let some Amiga-novice try out my computer, it doesn't make a
:good impression that he can grind the system to a halt by pressing one of the
:mouse buttons. I'd rather have minor irritating behaviour like this fixed
:(eg the click-in-the-window behaviour fixed by Heliosmouse) than have to
:remember (and explain to others) warning after warning of the type "don't do
:X in this or that situation, but do it in this other situation". And this
:isn't a system-wide thing, it can be fixed by adding a single word to a
:source file. Then programs which don't use menus will ignore the RMB. In the
:meantime, there are 3 different things that happen when you press:

	Tell him to ignore the RMB.  Then, when he asks about menus,
tell him that is what the RMB (and only what the RMB) is used for.

:Anyway, it's a pet peeve of mine.
:
:John

	So I gathered.