[comp.sys.amiga] Microbotics StarDrive Question

PHILIP@VTVM1.BITNET (Fred Senese) (03/05/88)

   I'm going to try to connect a Miniscribe 8438F 30 meg hard drive and
Adaptec 4070A SCSI controller to my Amiga 1000 via the Microbotics
StarDrive SCSI interface.  Including a 38 watt power supply, case, muffin
tin fan and cabling, this will give me 30 Megs (or 47 Megs with RLL?)
for $600 (prices from the March issue of Computer Shopper.   )
   Microbotics says that they have had great success with the Miniscribe
8425F 20 Meg drive and that some Adaptec 4000 series controllers have been
successfully used with the Stardrive.  They have not tested the above
combination though they say it will 'probably' work :-)).
Adaptec blesses the use of their controller with this drive, though
I would like to check this out with Miniscribe, too...

   My questions:
      Anybody have Miniscribe's tech support number?
      Is there some tragic flaw with this setup?
      Any experiences with the Stardrive that you can share?

   Thanks!
Fred Senese
c/o Quantum Chemistry Group         PHILIP@VTVM1.BITNET  "Chemistry is too
Dept. of Chemistry                  SENESE@VTMATH.BITNET    hard for chemists"
Virginia Polytechnic Institute      HVZY@CORNELLD.BITNET      -A. Einstein
Blacksburg Va 24060                 -or- (703)-951-0690
     .       .
    O:   .  O:   .    Please forgive my fo' paws...
        O:      O:

PHILIP@VTVM1.BITNET (Fred Senese) (03/05/88)

Oops- the Miniscribe 8438F is 30 or 32 Megs *including* RLL, not
47 Megs.  Sorry.

In article <8803050032.AA28641@jade.berkeley.edu> (Fred Senese) writes:

>   I'm going to try to connect a Miniscribe 8438F 30 meg hard drive and
> Adaptec 4070A SCSI controller to my Amiga 1000 via the Microbotics
> StarDrive SCSI interface.  Including a 38 watt power supply, case, muffin
> tin fan and cabling, this will give me 30 Megs (or 47 Megs with RLL?)
> for $600 (prices from the March issue of Computer Shopper.   )

The 8438F is, I believe, the 8425F certified for RLL. You get 30 Meg with
and RLL controller like the Adaptec above, and 20 Meg a straight ST506
controller. There is a slight problem in telling the Adaptec what kind
of drive it is talking to, but I suspect Microbotics has a solution for
that.

>   My questions:
>      Anybody have Miniscribe's tech support number?

1-800-356-5333

>      Is there some tragic flaw with this setup?

Initializing the Adaptec board, I don't know how they handle that.

>      Any experiences with the Stardrive that you can share?

It is fast and cheap. There is a small problem with cables. It comes with
a Mac compatible 25 pin connector that has to be converted to a 50 pin
connector for the SCSI interface board. With the FFS it should really
fly.

--Chuck McManis