[comp.sys.amiga] I have a problem with AmigaDOS ...

840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) (03/08/88)

Hello all. I am submitting this message to the net on behalf of a
friend in hopes of finding a solution to his dilemma. Any help would
be welcome. Thanks.

...Bill

... I have an installation where the Amiga screen must stay
intact and no system requesters or otherwise can appear. If such a thing
occurs or a file gets mangled and a "read/write" error message is to be
displayed, I want the entire machine to reboot and execute the start-up
sequence. You see if a requester appears, it stays there until user
intervention occurs. I want the machine itself to take that interrupt
and reboot the system.
      Any suggestions? I know of no PD software to accomplish this. Any
help will be greatly appreciated. It is for a specific application where
the Amiga is left to run continuously by itself.
                                          Reid Crocker
                                          Sysop, the Lodge.

avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu (Aaron Avery) (03/09/88)

In article <925@aucs.UUCP>, 840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) writes:

> ... I have an installation where the Amiga screen must stay
> intact and no system requesters or otherwise can appear. If such a thing
> occurs or a file gets mangled and a "read/write" error message is to be
> displayed, I want the entire machine to reboot and execute the start-up
> sequence. You see if a requester appears, it stays there until user
> intervention occurs. I want the machine itself to take that interrupt
> and reboot the system.

Bryce Nesbitt wrote a program he called 'Cancel!', which does just this.
It is a (very) beta version, but may suit your needs, and Bryce says that
he'll be releasing a final version soon. He posted it to the net a while
ago, and if you don't find it elsewhere, I'll be happy to send it to you.

Aaron Avery (avery@puff.cs.wisc.edu)
	    ({seismo,caip,allegra,harvard,ihnp4}!uwvax!puff!avery)

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (03/10/88)

In article <925@aucs.UUCP> 840493n@aucs.UUCP (Bill Nickerson) writes:

>... I have an installation where the Amiga screen must stay
>intact and no system requesters or otherwise can appear. If such a thing
>occurs or a file gets mangled and a "read/write" error message is to be
>displayed, I want the entire machine to reboot and execute the start-up
>sequence. You see if a requester appears, it stays there until user
>intervention occurs. I want the machine itself to take that interrupt
>and reboot the system.

Actually detecting the requester coming up is not so easy, it may not be a
DOS requester, or it could be the precursor to a GURU (the 'task held' msg).
Now preventing the requesters from coming up is simple.  All you need is a
small program that sets the pr_WindowPtr in the required process to -1.  You
can then check the errors returned from file I/O requests and determine if
a requester would have been displayed (an error condition from your read or
write request).  Of course, some of the errors won't be fatal, just EOF
conditions and the like, you'll have to filter these.

	Steve