[comp.sys.amiga] It's a Hard Drive...

Dave@daami.van-bc.UUCP (Dave Allen) (03/11/88)

WARNING WARNING WARNING. I am connected to the company that
manufactures, sells and ships the WEDGE hard drive interface for the
A1000. If you know about the WEDGE or are offended by commercial
information coming from biased parties hit "N".

>From: jtaylor@ms.uky.edu (Jeff Taylor)
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.amiga
>Subject: More WEDGE questions
>
> I would like to get some reaction from some owners/users of the WEDGE
>  card.  I was going to add an external drive ( I was told that I
>  could buy 100-150 Meg drive for next-to-nothing ) to my A500.
>  So, the sooner I can find out some information on the WEDGE,
>  the sooner I can add the drive.

Well, I am glad you asked. I would be happy to send you out the
technical and pricing information on the A1000 WEDGE and the soon to
be released A500 WEDGE. Please post your
Postal address I will forward the info the day I receive it.

Testimonials you say? Just mention that you want them and I will send
you the book.

We operate our business on two A1000s with WEDGEs and 20 Megabyte
Miniscribe drives. All of our customers are very happy with the WEDGE
and I have posted testimonials to that effect in the past. I will
avoid posting all of the Pricing information here for fear of getting
flamed by the NET gods (I missed the last round, Leo :-) BUT the A1000
WEDGE with the support software sells for 159.00 US and is discounted for
members of user groups. The price of the A500 WEDGE may be slightly
higher.

Another interesting development came about because of the rumour in
Amiazing Computing which suggested there was a WEDGE for the A2000.
There MAY or MAY NOT be a WEDGE for the A2000 and there are a number
of factors to be considered. We have discovered that the A2090 card is
very much cheaper in Canada than in the US. Some places in Europe have
even chosen to only sell the A2090 WITH a hard drive and have made the
package very expensive. We sell the A2090 for $290.00 US plus $18.00
shipping and handling.

>I have another set of questions pertaining to the external drive.
>  And that is, "...once I get the drive hooked up, how do I get
>  the thing formatted for Amiga, since the thing will come with
>  no support software. (This drive will probably be from the IBM
>  world) ??

The WEDGE comes with a Low Level formating program called FMT by Larry
Phillips, a device driver and a mountlist for any of the many ST-506
Hard Drives. If we have all the technical info for a non-standard
drive we will write the driver for that drive at no extra cost.
Service with a smile :-)

>Thanks in advance,
>                     INTERNET     jtaylor@ms.uky.edu
>                     BITNET       jeff@ukcc.bitnet

I would have sent this as a private mail message BUT I am getting too
many inquiries. To get on our literature list drop me a line at the
address below.

>Subject: IBM harddisk

>I have a friend that has a 30M hard drive that he had purchased for an IBM.
>He has since found true religion and bought an Amiga.

Amen.

>Now he wants to
>use the drive with the Amiga. What are the possible alternatives available
>to him? Any info on price, availability, etc. would be appreciated.
>Just mail replies to me.
>Thanks,
>Avery
>Avery Shealey
>School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

Looks like your buddy could use a WEDGE. The info is in the mail.

      Dave Allen
      RSI
      (604) 270-0064
      9651 Alexandra Rd.