[comp.sys.amiga] FaccII patch for HardDisks

ebr@io.UUCP (Evan B. Ross) (02/26/88)

	Is anybody using my FaccII patch to make it work with harddisks?
--
  There's sparks a comin' outa' my head!!!

...!{mid-eddit,bbn}!ileaf!ebr	Evan B. Ross, Interleaf, Cambridge, Ma
      ...!sun!sunne!ileaf!ebr		(617)577-9813 x5570

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (02/27/88)

In article <555@io.UUCP> ebr (Evan B. Ross) writes:

>	Is anybody using my FaccII patch to make it work with harddisks?
>--
>  There's sparks a comin' outa' my head!!!
>
>...!{mid-eddit,bbn}!ileaf!ebr	Evan B. Ross, Interleaf, Cambridge, Ma
>      ...!sun!sunne!ileaf!ebr		(617)577-9813 x5570

We really wish you wouldn't keep hyping this because:

	a) Your patch overwrites the FaccII Copyright string
		this is a bad thing. it will most certainly find
		it's way to pirates and then to unsuspecting
		honest folks...
	b) The patch will most definitely not work with the Fast
		File System and...
	c) We certainly don't wan't calls and complaints about
		b since we didn't generate the patch.

Use Facc for what it was intended to be - a *Floppy* Accellerator

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

ali@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (02/27/88)

In article <10116@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>Use Facc for what it was intended to be - a *Floppy* Accellerator

What do you call a hard disk accelarator created by patching Facc?

A hacc.

Not in any way promoting patching Facc,
Ali Ozer, ali@polya.stanford.edu

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (03/03/88)

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) writes:

> Use Facc for what it was intended to be - a *Floppy* Accellerator

Of course, this begs the question...Does ASDG intend to produce a FaccIII that
will provide hard disk support, or a separate product (Hacc?) that is
specificially intended to cache hard disk drives?

Inquiring minds want to know.

			--M

Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

"Paradise is exactly like where you are right now...only much, much better"
	--Laurie Anderson, "Language is a Virus"

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/04/88)

In article <AW=6c-y00Xo8A4y1oY@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu.UUCP writes:

>eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>
>> Use Facc for what it was intended to be - a *Floppy* Accellerator
>
>Of course, this begs the question...Does ASDG intend to produce a FaccIII that
>will provide hard disk support, or a separate product (Hacc?) that is
>specificially intended to cache hard disk drives?
>
>Inquiring minds want to know.
>
>			--M
>
>Michael Portuesi / Carnegie Mellon University
>ARPA/UUCP: mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu		BITNET: rainwalker@drycas

With the advent of FFS it seems that such a product would be wasted effort.
For most people's purposes (single fairly slow drive, few multiple task
disk access and FFS with buffers), FFS will be fine. A product written for
the slow file system (SFS) would not work under the FFS. If it's the ultimate
in speed and preformance you want, I assume you would not hesitate to shell
out the bucks for an SDP - it'll be the best choice for an Amiga network
server, top end animation system etc.

With the date that you can effectively run FFS on floppies being fairly far
in the future, FaccII still provides an effective means of speeding up
floppies and will for some time to come.

ebr@io.UUCP (Evan B. Ross) (03/05/88)

In article <10132@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>If it's the ultimate in speed and preformance you want, I assume you would not
>hesitate to shell out the bucks for an SDP - it'll be the best choice for an
>Amiga network server, top end animation system etc.

Two points:
	1) I was under the impression that there's a 'no commercial' policy
	   on usenet. It seems to me that most postings from the asdg folks
	   are nothing more THAN commercials. (reminiscent of Isuzu's, I
	   might add. ;-)

	2) I've been hearing about sdp for a long time, but I haven't heard
	   that it's ever been seen.

--

steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) (03/07/88)

In article <10132@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:

>With the advent of FFS it seems that such a product would be wasted effort.
>For most people's purposes (single fairly slow drive, few multiple task
>disk access and FFS with buffers), FFS will be fine. A product written for
>the slow file system (SFS) would not work under the FFS. ........
>
>Eric

I beg your pardon?  ANY application written for the old file system will work
with FFS.  Applications don't give a toss about the disk layout, they just
ask for files from the disk via the filesystem.  Since FFS supports all of
the old packet types and returns the same results there are no compatibility
problems.  (Except maybe the packets come back too fast :-)

	Steve

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/08/88)

In article <558@io.UUCP> ebr@chip.UUCP (Evan B. Ross) writes:
>In article <10132@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>>If it's the ultimate in speed and preformance you want, I assume you would not
>>hesitate to shell out the bucks for an SDP - it'll be the best choice for an
>>Amiga network server, top end animation system etc.
>
>Two points:
>	1) I was under the impression that there's a 'no commercial' policy
>	   on usenet. It seems to me that most postings from the asdg folks
>	   are nothing more THAN commercials. (reminiscent of Isuzu's, I
>	   might add. ;-)

Give me a bloody break!

Pay attention to both the context and the content of the message.

I was responding to questions about ASDG products - do you expect me not
to take advantage of such an opportunity? I stand behind my words, the
SDP is the controller most capable of dealing with multiple devices and
multiple accesses, and will provide the highest throughput possible through
the new FFS.

Next thing you'll be telling me that Commodore can't tell you on the net how
to get 1.3 when it comes out! If you want to refute or balance my message with
some useful information about another product go ahead. I've never heard any
information from you before - I created this bloody group, and I keep up the
quality of my postings - I don't fill the net with drivel messages like
"me too", or "so and so sucks", and I intend it to stay that way.

>	2) I've been hearing about sdp for a long time, but I haven't heard
>	   that it's ever been seen.

It's been physically shown at both AmiExpos (NYC and LA) - the software is
under way now.

>--
>  There's sparks a comin' outa' my head!!!

It would seem so...

>...!{mid-eddit,bbn}!ileaf!ebr	Evan B. Ross, Interleaf, Cambridge, Ma
>      ...!sun!sunne!ileaf!ebr		(617)577-9813 x5570

Why are people always picking on me?

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/10/88)

<>
<
<I beg your pardon?  ANY application written for the old file system will work
<with FFS.  Applications don't give a toss about the disk layout, they just
<ask for files from the disk via the filesystem.  Since FFS supports all of
<the old packet types and returns the same results there are no compatibility
<problems.  (Except maybe the packets come back too fast :-)
<
<	Steve

Steve -

 By saying "A product written for", I was referring to a "Facc product", which
does give a toss about the disk layout. Sorry if there was any confusion here,
I didn't mean to knock FFS in any way - looks like you did a good job with it.

ericb@athertn.Atherton.COM (Eric Black) (03/11/88)

In article <3422@cbmvax.UUCP> steveb@cbmvax.UUCP (Steve Beats) writes:
>In article <10132@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com> eric@hector (Eric Lavitsky) writes:
>>
>>For most people's purposes (single fairly slow drive, few multiple task
>>disk access and FFS with buffers), FFS will be fine. A product written for
>>the slow file system (SFS) would not work under the FFS. ........
>
>I beg your pardon?  ANY application written for the old file system will work
>with FFS.  Applications don't give a toss about the disk layout, they just
>ask for files from the disk via the filesystem.  Since FFS supports all of
>the old packet types and returns the same results there are no compatibility
>problems.  (Except maybe the packets come back too fast :-)

Hey, c'mon now!  He said "product", not "application", meaning that any FaccII
written to intercept calls from "SFS" won't work under FFS.

Yes, applications should not know the difference.

Yes, filesystem-flavored programs (such as FaccII) could reasonably be
expected to be aware of the difference.  This has nothing to do with
whether or not the new (and breathlessly-anticipated) Fast File System
is backwardly-compatible with normal user-level programs.

It could very well be that Facc, lacking any special knowledge of the
AmigaDOS file system, would work just fine, but FaccII knows about
directory layout and such, and takes advantage of that information
to make things even faster than they would be doing just a straightforward
cacheing of tracks.

(I'm certainly looking fo