[comp.sys.amiga] Copyright notices

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (02/21/88)

In article <22977@brunix.UUCP> cs224065@brap0a94.UUCP (Nicholas Thompson) writes:
>Don't bet on it...as I recall from the booklet on corporate security
>they gave me when I first went to work, the only ABSOLUTE way to
>secure the copyright on the document is with the symbol-which-is-
>usually-approximated-by-(c). ...

I think this is basically right.  The trick is the word _absolute_.
*In*the*United*States*, the word "Copyright" (or the abbreviation "Copr")
is fully adequate.  But _internationally_ things are slipperier.  This
from "Words Into Type":
  Universal international copyright protection does not exist.  However,
  works of Unisted States citizens may be protected in foreign countries uner
  various treaties and conventions.  Copyright protection is available in
  countries currently parties to the \fIUniversal Copyright Convention\fP,
  provided that all the published copies of the work bear the notice
  precscribed by the \fIConvention\fP, that is, the symbol \(co, the name of
  the copyright owner, and the year of first publication. ...
   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Labs, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

rwilson@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Randy Wilson) (02/22/88)

It may not be standard ASCII, but on the Mac, option-g gives a copyright
sign in most fonts.  Wouldn't this do the job?

Randy Wilson

>It may not be standard ASCII, but on the Mac, option-g gives a copyright
>sign in most fonts.  Wouldn't this do the job?
>
>Randy Wilson

	Yes, but only on the computer in question.  It wouldn't
be valid as, say, a comment in the source code, especially if you
are transporting the code beyond your personal system.

					-Matt

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/23/88)

In article <2069@polya.STANFORD.EDU> rwilson@polya.UUCP (Randy Wilson) writes:
>It may not be standard ASCII, but on the Mac, option-g gives a copyright
>sign in most fonts.  Wouldn't this do the job?

It would do the job IF and ONLY IF you are sure that the document which you
wish to protect by copyright will be displayed ONLY on another MAC or some other
computer using the same code-to-character mapping for non-standard characters.

Since it is non-standard, it will not even look remotely like a "c in a circle"
on most terminals/printers, and thus would not "do the job".

One interesting question is this, however: As has been stated, a
"c in parentheses" is not a valid legal substitute for a "c in a circle".

Thus, " (c) 1987 by John Doe " is not a valid copyright notice.

However, since the notation "Copyright 1986 by John Doe" is valid, does the
presence of "c in parentheses" between the word "Copyright" and the year
REALLY invalidate the copyright notice?

After all, all that is required (the word "Copyright" and the year) IS PRESENT,
there's just a bit extra.

Anyone care to comment?
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (02/24/88)

Copyright notice or no copyright notice, in my experience it's very
difficult to enforce outside the US and Canada.

There was a company in Germany that started to produce MT C-Shell with
their own manual, diskettes, and packaging.  German authorities informed
me that this is perfectly *legal* in Germany, becuase you can't copyright
anything but "works of art"; and software isn't in this category.

The only illegal act would be if they were claiming they were selling
"original" factory goods.  As long as they say they are selling copies,
it's legal in Germany.   Even if they are breaking the law, all we could
do is attempt to get a court order to force them to stop selling.

The best solution turned out to be getting a real legit. distributor
in Germany; and let the competition of a supported product for less
money shut them down (which it did, I think).  I don't know if the
legal issues above are "correct", but that's what happened to us.
--
David Beckemeyer			| "To understand ranch lingo all yuh
Beckemeyer Development Tools		| have to do is to know in advance what

madd@bu-cs.BU.EDU (Jim Frost) (02/24/88)

In article <28@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>In article <2069@polya.STANFORD.EDU> rwilson@polya.UUCP (Randy Wilson) writes:
>One interesting question is this, however: As has been stated, a
>"c in parentheses" is not a valid legal substitute for a "c in a circle".
>
>Thus, " (c) 1987 by John Doe " is not a valid copyright notice.
>
>However, since the notation "Copyright 1986 by John Doe" is valid, does the
>presence of "c in parentheses" between the word "Copyright" and the year
>REALLY invalidate the copyright notice?
>
>After all, all that is required (the word "Copyright" and the year) IS PRESENT,
>there's just a bit extra.

I would put my money on notices of the type:

	(c) Copyright 1988 Jim Frost All Rights Reserved

as being legal for two reasons.  First, it satisfies the requirements
of the copyright law, and second, your uSoft linker displays this when
you run it.  It seems likely that uSoft's lawyers know what they're
doing.

Whether or not

	Copyright (c) 1988 Jim Frost All Rights Reserved

is legal would be open to interpretation, but again the law only
states that the word "Copyright" (or the abbr. or \(co), the year, and
the name be present.  Hence

	Copyright 1988 by Jim Frost All Rights Reserved

should also be valid (this is another common one and I believe that it
is valid).  In both of these cases, they fulfill the copyright law to
the letter.

Does anyone have a definitive answer?  Is it legal to place other
words or symbols in the copyright notice so long as the notice is
still obvious?

jim frost
madd@bu-it.bu.edu

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (02/24/88)

*** EAT THIS AND THERE'S MORE BELOW ***

In article <20124@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>In article <28@dcs.UUCP> wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) writes:
>>In article <2069@polya.STANFORD.EDU> rwilson@polya.UUCP (Randy Wilson) writes:

Well, I suppose you've heard all this by now.  I hope we all agree that
Copyright 1988 by John Q. Doe is valid.

What I understand, though, is that the newer laws give considerable
protection to material WITHOUT copyright notices.  I believe that copyright
notices are only necessary in the event that you want to bring specific
types of legal action against infringing parties.

My curiousity's aroused.  Would someone with some specific legal knowledge
please contribute a lucid description of the way the newer copyright laws
work; in particular, how they apply to computer software.

-joseph

/*
 * What, me worry?  I personally don't care what the vapor pressure of
 * that mercury in the corner is.  In fact I don't even remember when
 * I spilled it.  Maybe it was back before I got the shakes.
 */

*** EAT THIS YOU LINESUCKING PIG ***

keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (02/28/88)

In article <147@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>Copyright notice or no copyright notice, in my experience it's very
>difficult to enforce outside the US and Canada.

Well, it should not be so. And there is a very big difference between
USA and Canada with respect to copyright, as Canada has signed the
international Berner convention on copyright, and USA has not.
Most of Europe has ratified the Berner convention too, so it should
be as easy to get your rights respected in Germany (BRD) as in Canada.

In Berner Union countries it is not required to have a copyright notice
on your work, to enjoy copyright protection.

>There was a company in Germany that started to produce MT C-Shell with
>their own manual, diskettes, and packaging.  German authorities informed
>me that this is perfectly *legal* in Germany, becuase you can't copyright
>anything but "works of art"; and software isn't in this category.

Well, it is the common theory within Berner Union experts that
software *is* protected by the international copyright convention,
this has been discussed a lot of times in these circles, and in
other international legal circles discussion the protection of
software rights.

The problem is that there have not been that many cases to settle the
situation. I know that there is proposal to the Danish copyright
law which explicitely states software as covered by copyright,
and they justify this as just a codification of current state.

To enjoy copyright protection, the "work of art" should be "published"
and the work should be of a certain "work height" to be intellectual
property worth being protected. It is assumed that almost all
software has the sufficient intelligence put into it for it to be
protected. Not protected is very trivial programs which everybody
with just a common knowledge of the issue could write. I think
things like AT&T's "true" program will fall in this category,
and even more complicated things too:-). I do not think the
software you mentioned falls into this category.

>The only illegal act would be if they were claiming they were selling
>"original" factory goods.  As long as they say they are selling copies,
>it's legal in Germany.   Even if they are breaking the law, all we could
>do is attempt to get a court order to force them to stop selling.

It should be enough to go to the police. But then it seems that the
police did not know the legal status. Did you talk to a copyright
lawyer?

>The best solution turned out to be getting a real legit. distributor
>in Germany; and let the competition of a supported product for less
>money shut them down (which it did, I think).  I don't know if the
>legal issues above are "correct", but that's what happened to us.

When was it?

Keld Simonsen, U of Copenhagen     keld@diku.dk   uunet!diku!keld

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (03/01/88)

In article <147@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:
>There was a company in Germany that started to produce MT C-Shell with
>their own manual, diskettes, and packaging.  German authorities informed
>me that this is perfectly *legal* in Germany, becuase you can't copyright
>anything but "works of art"; and software isn't in this category.
This is positively wrong. It is not (!) legal to copy the work of
someone else.
In fact, it's illegal to copy software at all. You may make up to seven
backup copies of software you buyed, but you must not give any away (for
the case of fire or the like..).

All brain-work is protected under the law of copyright (german:
Uhrheberrecht). Even if somebody deletes the copyright message or
patches the version number (happened with WordStar years ago).
>  Even if they are breaking the law, all we could
>do is attempt to get a court order to force them to stop selling.
Wrong again. That would only be the first thing.
Even if they would give the copies away for free they _could_ go to jail...

If you ask the right peaople the right question you will get the desired
answer.

hase
--
Hartmut Semken, Berlin (West) (*east of West-Germany :-)
hase@netmbx.UUCP

mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) (03/01/88)

In article <1464@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:
>This is positively wrong. It is not (!) legal to copy the work of
>someone else.
>In fact, it's illegal to copy software at all. You may make up to seven
>backup copies of software you buyed, but you must not give any away (for
>the case of fire or the like..).

ACK!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WR[erp!]

Let's see.  I am writing this with the aid of GNU emacs, using copied
usenet software.  If I wanted a printed copy, I would probably use
TeX.  The authors of GNU emacs, TeX, and the news software got no
money from me or from my employer.  [Thanks, guys!]

It is quite legal to copy software.

It is illegal to copy software when it is
   Copyrighted

Of course, lots of copyrighted things can be copied.  That is because
the author said so.

>All brain-work is protected under the law of copyright (german:
>Uhrheberrecht). Even if somebody deletes the copyright message or
>patches the version number (happened with WordStar years ago).

It is copyrighted after publication ONLY if a copyright notice was on
the published original.

Anything which is "published" and not marked "Copyright" can be freely
copied.

LET'S STOMP OUT SOFTWARE HOARDING!

Rah Rah Rah!

				Michael I. Bushnell
				Internet: mike@turing.unm.edu
				UUCP: mike@turing.unm.edu
				Bitnet: mike@turing.unm.edu
				CSnet: mike@turing.unm.edu
				YourFavoriteNet: mike@turing.unm.edu
			Golly, don't domains make everything simpler?
For peoply who run UUCP but haven't switched over to smail *yet*, you
can try {ucbvax,gatech}!unmvax!turing!mike.

Or write:
  {Box 295, Coronado Hall} or {Computer Science, Farris Engineering Center}
  University of New Mexico
  Albuquerque, NM 87131
Or call:
  (505)277- [2992=dorm][6116=work]

I work for the CS department.  But don't blame them.

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/03/88)

In article <3689@diku.dk> keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) writes:
   [deleted a lot about Berner Union]
>Well, it is the common theory within Berner Union experts that
>software *is* protected by the international copyright convention,
>this has been discussed a lot of times in these circles, and in
>other international legal circles discussion the protection of
>software rights.
  [ more deleted ]
>It should be enough to go to the police. But then it seems that the
>police did not know the legal status. Did you talk to a copyright
>lawyer?

My point was that "legal" or not, and regardless of any discussions
to that effect here or elsewhere:  DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP.  The
authorites showed no desire to help a small software company in Oakland;
that includes both US and German authorites (police and Fed. agencies).

Any attempts to bring justice would have meant a law suit in German courts.
Several US and German copyright lawyers (supposedly some of the top ones
in the world) advised against doing anything (a strange practice for a
lawyer with nothing to lose) becuase it would be very costly, and the
outcome would at best be a court order to stop production, which the
company could simply ignore anyway since the police had better things
to do.

In other words: you can read and discuss laws and legalities all you want,
but in the *real world* all this means very little.
--

fiddler%concertina@Sun.COM (Steve Hix) (03/03/88)

In article <845@unmvax.unm.edu>, mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
> In article <1464@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:
>>This is positively wrong. It is not (!) legal to copy the work of
>>someone else.
>>In fact, it's illegal to copy software at all. You may make up to seven
>>backup copies of software you buyed, but you must not give any away (for
>>the case of fire or the like..).
>
> ACK!!!! WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WR[erp!]

Michael, look before you leap.  (And if you can't read the notices
posted around the pool, have someone read them to you, slowly, if
need be.)  Ahem!

Hartmut from (west) Berlin was describing How Things Work over there,
in Germany.  Not how they (in theory only, it appears) work over here
in the States.

The handling of patents and copyrights in the U.S. isn't necessarily
the same as in Canada, Germany, Mexico, ...

Now, do you want to try again?

david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) (03/04/88)

In article <1464@netmbx.UUCP> hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) writes:
>In fact, it's illegal to copy software at all. You may make up to seven
>backup copies of software you buyed, but you must not give any away (for
>the case of fire or the like..).

I realize this is what the law says but that's not the way it happened.
I say again NOBODY COULD CARE LESS ABOUT A SMALL COMPANY IN OAKLAND CA USA!
It was sort of us against them; and neither the US nor the German
authorities wanted to get involved. Even Atari recommended no action.

>Even if they would give the copies away for free they _could_ go to jail...
>
>If you ask the right peaople the right question you will get the desired
>answer.

Where were you when we needed you?  Do you have authority in these matters?

How much will it cost me?
--

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (03/06/88)

In article <845@unmvax.unm.edu>, mike@turing.UNM.EDU (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:
> Anything which is "published" and not marked "Copyright" can be freely
> copied.

This isn't entirely accurate.  Publication without a notice that the author
claims a copyright in the work releases the work into the public domain SO
LONG AS THE PUBLICATION WAS DONE WITH THE COPYRIGHT HOLDER'S CONSENT.  I'm
sure that's what you meant but there seems to be a lot of confusion about
the copyright law and I wouldn't want anyone to think removal of a work's
copyright notice followed by publication would put it in the public domain.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

rjd@nancy (Rob Demillo) (03/08/88)

In article <20124@bu-cs.BU.EDU> madd@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim Frost) writes:
>>One interesting question is this, however: As has been stated, a
>>"c in parentheses" is not a valid legal substitute for a "c in a circle".
>>
>>Thus, " (c) 1987 by John Doe " is not a valid copyright notice.
>>

>I would put my money on notices of the type:
>
>	(c) Copyright 1988 Jim Frost All Rights Reserved
>
>as being legal for two reasons.  First, it satisfies the requirements
>of the copyright law, and second, your uSoft linker displays this when
>you run it.  It seems likely that uSoft's lawyers know what they're
>doing.

Sorry Jim -- you would lose your money. There has been an alarming amount
of misinformation about the legalities of software protection on the net
of late (not just comp.sys.atari.st). For a complete treatment on the topic,
please consult "Copyright Law," an article by Jordan Breslow, an attorney
practicing copyright and computer law in California.

This article is routinely distributed with the News package for UNIX systems.
If you are on a UNIX machine that has News (as you must be to be reading this),
contact your local systems manager to ask him for a copy of it. He/she should
have it on line somewhere.

To get back to the topic, I quote from this paper:

"...unfortunately, computers don't draw small circles very well [refering
to the symbol of the c with a circle around it for a copyright mark],
so programmers have resorted to a c in parenthesis: (c). Too bad. That
has no legal meaning. When you put your notice in the code and on the
screen, use Copyright or Copr. if you can't make a circle..."

                     - Rob DeMillo
		       Brown University - Planetary Science Group

	UUCP: 		...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!rjd    -- or --
			...{seismo!harpo}!ihnp4!brunix!europa!demillo
	BITNET:		GE702025@BROWNVM
	SPAN:		BRNPSG::DEMILLO
	CompuServe: 	73537,2737

------
	"...I am not so sure what you want me for!
         Either your machine is a fool, or me..."   -- "WarGames", CSN

hase@netmbx.UUCP (Hartmut Semken) (03/08/88)

In article <160@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>My point was that "legal" or not, and regardless of any discussions
>to that effect here or elsewhere:  DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP.  The
>authorites showed no desire to help a small software company in Oakland;
>that includes both US and German authorites (police and Fed. agencies).
I almost don't believe that, but... yes, possible.

>In other words: you can read and discuss laws and legalities all you want,
>but in the *real world* all this means very little.

THAT ist awfully true.
We all now about piracy, do we?

There was an attempt to stop piracy: if you can't stop it, legalize it.
Make the program shareware (back to the original subject...)

My opinion? Shareware ist a great thing... if anybody pays (like me;
now)...

hase
--

keld@diku.dk (Keld J|rn Simonsen) (03/09/88)

In article <160@bdt.UUCP> david@bdt.UUCP (David Beckemeyer) writes:

>My point was that "legal" or not, and regardless of any discussions
>to that effect here or elsewhere:  DON'T GET YOUR HOPES UP.  The
>authorites showed no desire to help a small software company in Oakland;
>that includes both US and German authorites (police and Fed. agencies).

>Any attempts to bring justice would have meant a law suit in German courts.
>Several US and German copyright lawyers (supposedly some of the top ones
>in the world) advised against doing anything (a strange practice for a
>lawyer with nothing to lose) becuase it would be very costly, and the
>outcome would at best be a court order to stop production, which the
>company could simply ignore anyway since the police had better things
>to do.

I got some more info on the history of international copyright laws.
Apparantly UNESCO is dealing with this, this is the forum that the
Berner Convention is discussed. Software protection has been discussed
here too, and during the 1970-ies they reached a concensus that
software should be protected thru copyright, as a litterary work.
The USA then made the new copyright act in 1980, and some bigger
European countries followed up, notably France and Germany (BRD) in 1985
included software explicitly in the coverage for copyright in their
revisions of copyright laws.

If you had your troubles in Germany before 1985, then it might have
been because German copyright laws did not cover software at
that time. I am no expert on German law, however.

>In other words: you can read and discuss laws and legalities all you want,
>but in the *real world* all this means very little.

I now presume that your experiences is pre-1985, and that German
law did not protect you. That must have been the reason why neither
the police nor your lawyers would help you.

If your product enjoys copyright protection and this is violated,
then this is what I understand the Danish law to be: The offence
is a criminal case, and the state attorney is taking your case,
you will not have to pay any lawyers expenses. The offender can get
sentenced to penalties or in worse cases ordinary imprisonment up
to 3 months. I think your case would be of the worse kind, as it
was for profit. The offended has to go to the police and make an
action on the offence.

Additionally you can claim damages, but this is a civil case.
Having the offender sentenced in the criminal case should make
it easier to get the damages thru in a civil case, though.

I have no experiences of my own on such cases, so your comment on the
real world and slow/uninterested police I cannot offer any real
background for. It is of cause always easier in the books and
and easier if you are near to the offence. It is my impression that
the police takes all criminal offences seriously, especially when
there is much money involved; the courts may be slow though.

I do think though that your German "experience" was caused by lack
of software protection at that time in German laws, and the
situation has improved considerably since then, the conditions for
foreign software producers in Europe are not as bad as you indicate.

Keld Simonsen, U of Copenhagen      keld@diku.dk

dug@turing.ac.uk (Dug Scoular) (03/11/88)

Hi there

Has anyone tried using MacinTalk v1.31 (Mac II compatible) with
LightSpeed Pascal (or C) on a Mac II ?

I get various weird and wonderful problems.

I have a program that used to work perfectly with the old macintalk
driver, it now only manages to speak on the first call to MacInTalk(),
all subsequent calls put up the watch cursor for a short while but no
speech gets uttered.  It looks like it is processing the phonemes but
not actually managing to speak.

Another problem is caused by the code below:

The code below sometimes gives a "Bus Error Exception" or just fails to
say anything when run from within LS Pascal.

Finally (not related to MacinTalk), does anyone find their Mac II screen
goes completely haywire (rather like a hardware fault) but this always
seems to happen when I am either debugging in LS Pascal or running a
stand-alone program generated by LS Pascal.  It is only the screen that
starts to go, the mac is still running.  I can quit LS Pascal and return
to the finder.

PROGRAM say;
{$I-}
	USES
		SpeechIntf;			{Macintalk interface}

	VAR
		instr : str255;
		theSpeech : SpeechHandle;  	{handle to speech globals}
		SErr : SpeechErr;
		output : Handle;        	{handle to phonetic string}
		theMode : F0Mode;

	PROCEDURE SayIt;

	BEGIN
		instr := 'Hello everybody';
{$R-}
		SErr := Reader(theSpeech, pointer(ORD4(@instr) + 1),
				ORD(instr[0]), output);
{$R+}
		SErr := MacinTalk(theSpeech, output);		{say it.}
	END; {SayIt}

	PROCEDURE MyExit;

	BEGIN
		SpeechOff(theSpeech);		{close the speech driver.}
		DisposHandle(output);		{release the output handle}
	END; {MyExit}

BEGIN	{ main program starts here }

	SErr := SpeechOn('', theSpeech);	{Open the speech driver}
	IF SErr <> 0 THEN
		WriteLn('Error opening Macintalk: ', SErr)
	ELSE
		BEGIN
			theMode := Natural;
			SpeechPitch(theSpeech, 0, theMode);
			output := NewHandle(0);
			SayIt;
			MyExit;
		END;
END.

Douglas A. Scoular		"The big print giveth
E-mail: dug@turing.ac.uk	 and the small print taketh away"