[comp.sys.amiga] Digi-Paint

joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) (03/08/88)

I have recently had the opportunity to play with "Digi-Paint" from NewTek.  I
am *extremely* impressed with this package.  It's shading and blending,
tinting, etc. capabilities are excellent.  It's HAM mode is great (it's
always in HAM mode).  But there seem to be some features missing that I'm used
to having on more primitive paint programs.

1) There is no simple "fill" option, this is that sort where you just take a
paint bucket and click on the middle of a spot you want to fill.

2) Arc, curved line segments.  Not such thing on here.

3) Spray paint.  Not available, it would-be possible to fake a similar effect
but it wouldn't be easy (I don't mean for shading, obviously, I mean for
making little dots of color all over, like a starry sky).

4) Patterns!  In almost all paint programs I've used before you can create
patterns and then draw or fill with them, not here.

5) Not a missing feature but I wish you could not only control the direction
of shading but the DEGREE of shading, without this capability you cannot do
things such as small highlights automatically.

Is it possible the version I've seen is an older version?  I have no idea,
this are minor things compared to the overall quality of the package, but they
are still gripes.

     Snail Mail:       Real Mail:
*-------------------*                                           ///
*-------------------* "You bought a COMMODORE!? YICK!!"   \\///

ali@polya.STANFORD.EDU (Ali Ozer) (03/09/88)

In article <496@lakesys.UUCP> joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) writes:
>I have recently had the opportunity to play with "Digi-Paint" from NewTek.  I
>am *extremely* impressed with this package.  It's shading and blending,
>tinting, etc. capabilities are excellent. ... But there seem to be some
>features missing that I'm used to having on more primitive paint programs. ...
>Is it possible the version I've seen is an older version?  I have no idea,
>this are minor things compared to the overall quality of the package, but they
>are still gripes.

No, the version you have is the most recent version available in the stores.
But, NewTek did announce a new version (to be shipped soon --- send in your
reg card for an upgrade!). This new version will apparently preserve all
the neat features (shading, blending, rub-through, etc), and add normal
paint program features (fills, text, etc). And, on top of this all, it
will provide a 1024 x 1024 painting area with 4096 colors (all available
at all times, in the spirit of true HAM mode). You'll just scroll around
it on the Amiga display. Of course, you'll probably need more than 512K of
memory for doing larger pictures.

I'm looking forward to it!

Ali Ozer, ali@polya.stanford.edu

boblind@percival.UUCP (Bob Lindstrom) (03/10/88)

In article <496@lakesys.UUCP> joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) writes:

>I have recently had the opportunity to play with "Digi-Paint" from NewTek.  I
>am *extremely* impressed with this package.  It's shading and blending,
>tinting, etc. capabilities are excellent.  It's HAM mode is great (it's
>always in HAM mode).  But there seem to be some features missing that I'm used
>to having on more primitive paint programs.

>Is it possible the version I've seen is an older version?  I have no idea,
>this are minor things compared to the overall quality of the package, but they
>are still gripes.

Soon to be released are two more paint programs that work in HAM mode:

Photon Paint from Micro-Illusions
Deluxe Photo Lab from Electronic Arts

Both of these products expand considerably on the capabilities of Digi-Paint.
In eyeballing the two at CES in January, I thought Photon Paint looked like
the more impressive of the two. However, Deluxe Photo Lab also incorporates
some color processing functions and poster printing.

And NewTek is promising an upgrade to Digi-Paint that is intended to add new
features that will answer the competition.

(bring up John Williams music ...)

"Once upon a time in a techno-society far, far away:

                    PAINT WARS!!!!

--
| Troutdale Shrine of Computing       **   Bob Lindstrom, perpetrator      |
|                                     **   UUCP:percival!boblind           |

ggibeau@ucqais.uc.edu (George Gibeau) (03/12/88)

In article <496@lakesys.UUCP>, joe@lakesys.UUCP (Joe Pantuso) writes:
> I have recently had the opportunity to play with "Digi-Paint" from NewTek.  I
> am *extremely* impressed with this package.  It's shading and blending,
> tinting, etc. capabilities are excellent.  It's HAM mode is great (it's
> always in HAM mode).  But there seem to be some features missing that I'm used
> to having on more primitive paint programs.
> 1) There is no simple "fill" option, this is that sort where you just take a
> paint bucket and click on the middle of a spot you want to fill.
> 2) Arc, curved line segments.  Not such thing on here.
> 3) Spray paint.  Not available, it would-be possible to fake a similar effect
> but it wouldn't be easy (I don't mean for shading, obviously, I mean for
> making little dots of color all over, like a starry sky).
> 4) Patterns!  In almost all paint programs I've used before you can create
> patterns and then draw or fill with them, not here.
> 5) Not a missing feature but I wish you could not only control the direction
> of shading but the DEGREE of shading, without this capability you cannot do
> things such as small highlights automatically.

If you really want to be impressed, try Photon-Paint.  Saw a demo
of it and was most IMPRESSED.  You can grab an object as a brush
and then wrap it around other object shapes (ie. cubes, spheres, etc).
The blending mode is incredible, can adjust the dithering as well
as the luminescence (both direction and intensity), plus some of the
other features you mentioned.  Not sure on the price, but I do
not think it is too much, especially considering how impressive
it looked.

Rumor also has it that Digi-Paint II is on the way and is suppossed
to surpass Photon Paint.

George Gibeau

All opinions are my own, unless of course they were subliminally planted
in my mind by space aliens.

--
(Define the Universe and give 3 examples.)
Idiots?  They're worse than idiots.  They're bureaucrats!!