[comp.sys.amiga] shrink-wrap copying...

hansb@ariel.unm.edu.unm.edu (Hans Bechtel) (02/12/88)

I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
shelves for sale.

I won't mention any names here, but I think it is wrong to do the above.

Hans Bechtel

khayo@sonia.cs.ucla.edu (Erazm J. Behr) (02/17/88)

In article <2281@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:
 >I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
 >software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
 >a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
 >shelves for sale.
If you have any evidence other than hearsay, I think you'd do us all a
big favor by getting in touch with your local Distr. Atty.'s office.

 >I won't mention any names here, but I think it is wrong to do the above.
That's a pretty mild characterization...

                                                       Eric
 Please use   khayo@MATH.ucla.edu   instead of CS.ucla.edu

seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Matthew Eric Seitz) (02/17/88)

In article <2281@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:

>I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
>software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
>a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
>shelves for sale.
>
>I won't mention any names here, but I think it is wrong to do the above.
>
>Hans Bechtel

The computer store I have worked at also did something similar to this.  We
would make a copy of software to demonstrate and then reshrink-wrap it.
The reason is that customer's keep wanting two otherwise mutually exclusive
things: 1)  They want to see something demonstrated before they buy it and 2)
they want a shrink-wrap fresh copy of software to buy.  We couldn't afford to
keep an original of every program strictly for demonstration purposes.  Since
we had a very liberal exchange policy on defective merchandise, we felt that
the very slight risk of damaging the original during copying was worth it.  We
would also test the original after copying to make sure it still worked before
shrink-wrapping.  However, any of the copies made were strictly for in-store
demo, they never left the premises and no copies were distributed.

						-Matthew Seitz

wnp@dcs.UUCP (Wolf N. Paul) (02/17/88)

In article <2281@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:

>I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
>software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
>a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
>shelves for sale.
>
>I won't mention any names here, but I think it is wrong to do the above.

Please DO mention names! This sort of thing could cause incredible hassles
for the eventual purchaser of such a re-shrinkwrapped package.

Consider this scenario:

A software company finally gets fed up with piracy and decides to go after
pirates. They try to collect as many illegal copies of their software as they
can, offering "amnesty" to those who had them, and sue the registered owners
for each serial number they find in their collection.

The customers of the store you are referring to have no idea that there are
illegitimate copies of software with their serial numbers floating around out
there, and suddenly they have a lawsuit sprung on them!

Don't say that won't happen, I have heard of two instances when it has!

So DO mention names, so people will know where NOT to buy software.
--
Wolf N. Paul                  Phone: (214) 306-9101 (h)   (214) 404-8077 (w)
3387 Sam Rayburn Run          UUCP: ihnp4!killer!{dcs, doulos}!wnp

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (02/17/88)

In article <2281@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:

>I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
>software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
>a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
>shelves for sale.
>
>I won't mention any names here, but I think it is wrong to do the above.
				     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  Wrong is a moral issue, the other issue is legal - and this is illegal!

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

sbb@esquire.UUCP (Stephen B. Baumgarten) (02/18/88)

In article <2281@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:
>I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
>software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
>a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
>shelves for sale.
>
>I won't mention any names here, but I think it is wrong to do the above.
>
>Hans Bechtel

Call the police.  Normally I'd guess that it's a Computer Factory, but I
happen to know for a fact that most Computer Factory salesmen have difficulty
with cellophane, since it isn't covered in their training courses...

--
   Steve Baumgarten             | "New York... when civilization falls apart,
   Davis Polk & Wardwell        |  remember, we were way ahead of you."

In article <788@pasteur.Berkeley.Edu> seitz@cory.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Matthew Eric Seitz) writes:
>In article <2281@charon.unm.edu> hansb@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Hans Bechtel) writes:
>>
>>I know of a store in a big city in New Mexico that after they buy the
>>software to sell, they open up the package, copy it, and pass it to
>>a few of their friends, shrink-wrap it again, and put it back on the
>>

>The computer store I have worked at also did something similar to this.  We
>would make a copy of software to demonstrate and then reshrink-wrap it.
>The reason is that customer's keep wanting two otherwise mutually exclusive
>things: 1)  They want to see something demonstrated before they buy it and 2)
>they want a shrink-wrap fresh copy of software to buy.  We couldn't afford to

Well, look. We're about to bring a new product to market. Are you saying
we shouldnt bother shrimk wrapping it, and that the store will do it for
us ?

*My, how conveeeeenient.*

--
                      "...(alright Nils, alright)..."
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark D. Freeman) (03/10/88)

Gee, this seems to be such a simple issue.

Copying shrink-wrap won't work because it is transparent.  The
photocopier will just print a blank page...

(This is merely a sarcastic shot at what I see as a silly subject
line.)
--
Mark D. Freeman						  (614) 262-1418
					      mdf@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu

bobmon@iucs.cs.indiana.edu (RAMontante [condition that I not be identified]) (03/13/88)

>Copying shrink-wrap won't work because it is transparent.  The
>photocopier will just print a blank page...

A GOOD copier will reproduce a blank page...

In a similar vein, ask your Kodak Copier Sales Rep for a copy of the instruction
sheet for making Two-Sided Transparencies.  Not only quite funny, it's also
technically accurate.
~-~-~-~-~				"Have you hugged ME today?"
RAMontante
Computer Science Dept.		might be -->	bobmon@iucs.cs.indiana.edu
Indiana University		or maybe -->	montante@silver.BACS.indiana.edu