[comp.sys.amiga] AC PAL Article Fix

eric@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eric Lavitsky[hmm]) (03/10/88)

 Please distribute this message as far and wide as possible:

In the most recent Amazing Computing, Perry Kivolowitz wrote
an article about the A1000 PAL issues. The article was submitted
with a drawing to refer to when making the changes to the A1000.
Apparently, AC had an artist redraw the picture, and they moved
the position of the wires from the original drawing!

So, please follow the text of the article for doing your work
rather than the drawing. Amazing Computing will be publishing
a correction in their next issue - we're sorry if it causes you
any trouble and we hope you enjoyed the article.

Thank You,
Eric Lavitsky, ASDG Incorporated

--
ARPA:	Lavitsky@RED.RUTGERS.EDU
UUCP:	...ulysses!eric

mrr@amanpt1.zone1.com (Mark Rinfret) (03/13/88)

In article <10143@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com>, eric@ulysses.homer.nj.att.com (Eric Lavitsky[hmm]) writes:

>  Please distribute this message as far and wide as possible:
>
> In the most recent Amazing Computing, Perry Kivolowitz wrote
> an article about the A1000 PAL issues. The article was submitted
> with a drawing to refer to when making the changes to the A1000.
> Apparently, AC had an artist redraw the picture, and they moved
> the position of the wires from the original drawing!

First off, thank you (Perry) for taking the time to submit the article.
My heart leapt with great joy (well, I got a little excited) when I saw
what seemed to be the solution to my problems.  I read the article all
the way through and found the discrepancy.  A little checking with a
multimeter revealed that the text was correct and that the drawing was
in error.  Unfortunately, performing the modification has had only one
effect - my Amy is no longer a virgin.

Still, it was worth a try.  Since I added my Byte-by-Byte PAL Jr., I have
been unable to warm-start.  Amy goes through some motions, then puts up
the _KickStart_ request.  When the boot process gets to BindDrivers, all
comes to a halt.  I have been in communication with tech support at
Byte-by-Byte for quite a while regarding this matter.  At first, they were
very helpful.  They Fed-X'ed new controller chips to me right away, but
suggested that the Amiga's PAL chips, manufactured by TI, were not
"up to spec".  The controller chip replacement had no effect.

Later on, I talked to Jim Biggs (by accident, actually - he was calling
about MRBackup) and discovered that he did the design work for the
controller.  He reccommended that I call Byte-by-Byte about supplying me
with the new PALs.  A fellow by the name of Marcus agreed to do so.  A
month went by with no delivery, so I called.
"Oops!  I forgot.  Oh yeah - here's your slip.  I'll take care of it
right away."
Well, a few more weeks slipped by.
"Hey Marcus - where are my chips?"
"Well...when we got them, we had a need for them in-house, so we used them."
"What about me?"
"Well...I'll go get some more blanks and blow some for you.  Maybe I can
give you a price break or something.  Sorry about that."
More weeks slip by...
"Hey Marcus - where are my chips?"
"Well...I can't seem to find any in the area.  Why don't you try C-Ltd."

Thanks a whole pantsload, Marcus.

I've ordered the chips from C-Ltd ($20 for the set) and am awaiting their
arrival.  Meanwhile, everytime I have a guru, it's off/on the power switch
and reboot the system.  My wife tells me that she sometimes sees my right
arm reach out in the night while I mumble something not repeatable.

> So, please follow the text of the article for doing your work
> rather than the drawing. Amazing Computing will be publishing
> a correction in their next issue - we're sorry if it causes you
> any trouble and we hope you enjoyed the article.

I did enjoy the article and I hope it is the solution to others problems.
Amazing Computing seems to be getting better and better in the technical
content of their issues.  Now that I've popped Amy's case, I think I might
go ahead and do the audio filter mod that appeared in the same issue.

> Thank You,
> Eric Lavitsky, ASDG Incorporated

Thanks to you,

	Mark Rinfret, MRTools Unincorporated

--
< Mark R. Rinfret,  mrr@amanpt1.ZONE1.COM | ...rayssd!galaxia!amanpt1!mrr    >
< Aquidneck Management Associates       Home: 401-846-7639                   >