[comp.sys.amiga] A2000 and hard disk drives

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) (02/29/88)

If you're going to install a hard disk on your A2000, make sure you know the
specs of the drive. The most important two are:

     1) half-height drive (assuming you're going to put it into the 5 1/4
        drive slot.
     2) The drive uses the MFM coding (the A2090 controller DOES NOT support
        the RLL format).

I picked up a Seagate ST-251 drive (40 meg, 40 ms) for $379+tax at a recent
computer store's warehouse sale here in San Diego (got lucky...only 2 left and
the other one had a whole slew of bad sectors).

Also check the inside of your box, You need to add 4 screws to hold it on
place. (This is an ARGH!! to myself...I didn't have the screws and all the
hardware stores were closed (Sunday)).

The screws needed are 6-32 x 1/4 (or 5/16) machine screws. Oh well....
UUCP: {cbosgd hplabs!hp-sdd sdcsvax nosc}!crash!pnet01!lgreen
ARPA: crash!pnet01!lgreen@nosc.mil
INET: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com
SNAIL:4545 Collwood Blvd, #52  San Diego, CA 92115

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (03/03/88)

lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
>If you're going to install a hard disk on your A2000, make sure you know the
>specs of the drive. The most important two are:
>
>     1) half-height drive
>     2) The drive uses the MFM coding (the A2090 controller DOES NOT support
>        the RLL format).

This has nothing at all to do with the drive.  MFM or RLL is simply the
method used by the *controller* to encode data that is sent to the drive.
The only difference in the drives is that RLL-compatible drives tend to
be a bit more expensive than their non-compatible brethren, as RLL demands
slightly tighter tolerances than does MFM.  For example, the Seagate 225
drives are something like $25 cheaper than the Seagate 238 drives, and the
only substantive difference between the two is that the 238 is RLL certified.
So, if you can find an RLL-compatible drive at a real good price, you
shouldn't hesitate to go for it; at least, not because it's RLL.

--
Michael J. Farren             | "INVESTIGATE your point of view, don't just
{ucbvax, uunet, hoptoad}!     | dogmatize it!  Reflect on it and re-evaluate

shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) (03/07/88)

In article <719@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
: lgreen@pnet01.cts.com (Lawrence Greenwald) writes:
: slightly tighter tolerances than does MFM.  For example, the Seagate 225
: drives are something like $25 cheaper than the Seagate 238 drives, and the
: only substantive difference between the two is that the 238 is RLL certified.

Hmm. There is another unimportant difference between stf225 and 238
As far as I know the 225 is a 20MB and the 238 is a 30MB drive.

C u
Markus
(shimoda@rmi.uucp)

farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) (03/14/88)

In article <906@rmi.UUCP> shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) writes:
>In article <719@gethen.UUCP> farren@gethen.UUCP (Michael J. Farren) writes:
>: the only substantive difference between the two [Segate 225 and 238]
>:is that the 238 is RLL certified.
>
>Hmm. There is another unimportant difference between stf225 and 238
>As far as I know the 225 is a 20MB and the 238 is a 30MB drive.

You are not correct.  If you put a 238 on a 'standard' MFM controller,
you have a 20M drive.  The 238 is a 30M drive if, and ONLY if, you are
using it with an RLL controller.