[comp.sys.amiga] Not in .tech

drh@grapevine.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) (03/12/88)

Colin of Ontario says:
I just wanted to say that this isn't really apropriate for
comp.sys.amiga.tech.  Comp.sys.amiga, certainly, but .tech
is more for
Super Master Hackers of the machine (I'm not one (yet!)),
and I don't
think your problem is *that* difficult.  A .tech type would
go and
rewrite the driver, solving it once and for all. :-}

Talking about warranties is right out.
(.tech types open the case and void the warranty the
instant they get
home, anyway. :-})
--
        -Colin (watmath!ccplumb)

I would like to make a *qualified* apology.  I felt bad
that I had sent several messages saying almost the same
thing, and for that I'm sorry, but saying that my problem
is not *that* difficult is really a matter of personal
opinion.  I have spent over one hundred hours in less than a
month on this.  I've replaced the disk drive three times,
the controller once, and would gleefully rewrite the driver
if I had the source, and a little more skill.  Please take
note that I'm not posting to "comp.sys.amiga.tech" as
Colin did in his criticism!  If the people who write on
comp.sys.amiga.tech are really such gurus, it would seem
that one of them could take a few minutes to write and
help a struggling neophyte along!  I would like to point
out that, is exactly what Chuck McManis did (thanks Chuck),
however I'm still deadlocked by this problem.

I think it's a sad note that the only mail I got on this
was a criticism.

The computer is in the shop now (changing the mother board)
and hen this problem is resolved I will let everyone know
how it got fixed.  It seems that I'm not the only one to
have this problem, and it's been quite painfull (to me).
I'll try and suffer in silence. :-)

D. Ryan Hawley "pre comp.sys.amiga.tech ;-|

ccplumb@watmath.waterloo.edu (Colin Plumb) (03/14/88)

Sorry to fill up space, but what we have here is a
Failure to Communicate, and I'm publicly embarassed.

drh@grapevine.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) wrote:
>ccplumb@watmath (Colin) says:
>I just wanted to say that this isn't really apropriate for
>comp.sys.amiga.tech.  Comp.sys.amiga, certainly, but .tech is more for
>Super Master Hackers of the machine (I'm not one (yet!)), and I don't
>think your problem is *that* difficult.  A .tech type would go and
>rewrite the driver, solving it once and for all. :-}
>
>Talking about warranties is right out.  (.tech types open the case and
>void the warranty the instant they get home, anyway. :-})

BTW, I *think* I mailed this, instead of posting it, as claimed below.
At least, I remember mailing it, and there are no articles at this site
in comp.sys.amiga.tech posted by myself.  If I did indeed mess up like
this (wow, what a biggie!), please tell me - I'll make Pnews make sure
I'm sure; currently I hit "yes, I'm sure I want to post this" without
even thinking.

>I would like to make a *qualified* apology.  I felt bad
>that I had sent several messages saying almost the same
>thing, and for that I'm sorry, but saying that my problem
>is not *that* difficult is really a matter of personal
>opinion.  I have spent over one hundred hours in less than a
>month on this.  I've replaced the disk drive three times,
>the controller once, and would gleefully rewrite the driver
>if I had the source, and a little more skill.  Please take
>note that I'm not posting to "comp.sys.amiga.tech" as
>Colin did in his criticism!  If the people who write on
>comp.sys.amiga.tech are really such gurus, it would seem
>that one of them could take a few minutes to write and
>help a struggling neophyte along!  I would like to point
>out that, is exactly what Chuck McManis did (thanks Chuck),
>however I'm still deadlocked by this problem.

Now that I know of your considerable efforts to get this thing working,
I wish to apologize.  If a question needs the masters, put it to them.
I just didn't know they were needed.

When I saw your posting, it looked somewhat like someone who forgot
some silly detail of the hard drive installation procedure and just
needed someone to ask if they recited the proper incantation during
installation, as mentioned in an obscure appendix of the manual.

I didn't think this fell under comp.sys.amiga.tech's charter, so tried
to send a reasonably gentle reminder to someone who may not have had
their machine too long and may not have been on the net too long.
(I.e. name wasn't familiar.)

At the time, I had just sent mail in support of .tech and was thinking
about a criterion for making the split, and the importance of keeping
one fairly clear until tradition had established it.  Thus, I was in
enforcer mode and didn't want everyone wondering why X program doesn't
work on their 500 after they upgraded to 1 Meg pushing up the volume.

>I think it's a sad note that the only mail I got on this
>was a criticism.

So I *did* mail it?  In any case, I didn't mean to throw you into a fit
of depression.

>The computer is in the shop now (changing the mother board)
>and when this problem is resolved I will let everyone know
>how it got fixed.  It seems that I'm not the only one to
>have this problem, and it's been quite painful (to me).
>I'll try and suffer in silence. :-)

So it seems.  I hope you get this issue resolved.
--
	-Colin (watmath!ccplumb)

Zippy says:
WHOA!!  Ken and Barbie are having TOO MUCH FUN!!  It must
 be the NEGATIVE IONS!!