[comp.sys.amiga] 132 column terminal emulator?

jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) (02/11/88)

Does anyone know if there exists a terminal emulator capable of supporting
132 columns on the Amiga?  If so, who, what, when, where, why, and how
much?

Thanks in advance. ..

	-Jeff

---
Jeff A. Wabik @ Control Data Corporation          Bloomington, MN  55440
UUCP: {rosevax,umn-cs,meccts,ems}!shamash!jwabik  ARPA: jwabik@ub.d.umn.edu
			   Live long and program.

papa@pollux.usc.edu.UUCP (02/11/88)

In article <4092@shamash.UUCP> jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
>Does anyone know if there exists a terminal emulator capable of supporting
>132 columns on the Amiga?  If so, who, what, when, where, why, and how
>much?

A-Talk III (out RSN) supports 132 chars/line using overscan (A-Talk Plus
supports only 128).  I beleve also Diga! supports 132 using overscan, and
the Shareware Handshake too.

-- Marco

kenchiu@phoenix.UUCP (02/12/88)

In article <6899@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>A-Talk III (out RSN) supports 132 chars/line using overscan (A-Talk Plus
>supports only 128).

How good is the kermit support in A-Talk III?  What kind of parameters
can I set?  Will it operate in server mode?

In article <1722@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> kenchiu@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Kenneth Chiu) writes:
>In article <6899@oberon.USC.EDU> papa@pollux.usc.edu (Marco Papa) writes:
>>A-Talk III (out RSN) supports 132 chars/line using overscan (A-Talk Plus
>>supports only 128).
>
>How good is the kermit support in A-Talk III?  What kind of parameters
>can I set?  Will it operate in server mode?

Currently the support is similar to the one provided with the kermit included
with the PD VT100.  For server mode, there is a GET command besides the
RECEIVE command.  Wilcards are supported, though we allow UNIX wildcards (*?)
instead of Amiga wildcards (#?).  Again, this is an unreleased product so
things might change.

-- Marco

berman@stsci.EDU (Mike Berman) (02/12/88)

Version 2.6/jrbii of Dave Wecker's PD VT100 program also supports
132-column mode, using overscan. It was posted on comp.binaries.amiga
recently.

--
Mike Berman           Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD 21218
                      UUCP:   {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!stsci!berman

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/26/88)

In article <4092@shamash.UUCP>, jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
> Does anyone know if there exists a terminal emulator capable of supporting
> 132 columns on the Amiga?  If so, who, what, when, where, why, and how
> much?

	yes.

	Can't remember.  It did 132, but was semi-buggy.

	Again, I can remember the name of the program; I have a friend who
has it; if you are truly interested, I can get a hold of him and post the
name.  It was reviewed in Amazing Computing.  I think it begins with 'S'.

	About 6-8 months ago.

	Amazing computing (you are getting redundant).

	Why not?  Someone had to write it.  Val (a resident at wsccs...
...wsccs!val wrote a 220, including sixels, I think...)

	$160.00 or so.  May be wrong here.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (02/27/88)

In article <199@wsccs.UUCP>, I write:
> In article <4092@shamash.UUCP>, jwabik@shamash.UUCP (Jeff Wabik) writes:
> > Does anyone know if there exists a terminal emulator capable of supporting
> > 132 columns on the Amiga?  If so, who, what, when, where, why, and how
> > much?
>

> 	Can't remember.  It did 132, but was semi-buggy.

	I remember! it was 'Diga!'... and I was right... it was buggy :-(.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

warren@ssc-vax.UUCP (Warren Kring) (03/02/88)

You want a good terminal emulator that supports 132 columns??? Try
VT100 (V2.6/jrbii.2).  It has a lot of nice features (kermit,Xmodem,
Ascii capture; script files, an "iconify" gadget, etc), and it's
FREE!

Warren Kring
Boeing Aerospace Co.
Seattle, WA

prplworm@cup.portal.com (03/14/88)

A terminal emulator with VT-100? There's Handshake (Shareware), Diga! (about
$100 from Aegis, and buggy [not to mention SLOW]), and a program that is
goint commercial "Real Soon Now": Amic 1.0. I have been using Amic since
version 0.56 (I'm currently using 0.59e, waiting for a 0.97 to test), and it
is simply the BEST terminal program for ANY machine! According to the
programmers (David Salas & Albert Kirk), Amic 1.0 will support FULL VT-100,
including 132 collumn, blink, bold, underline, tall/wide characters, etc.
I think they plan on selling it for $100 (worth MUCH more, but people
registered to the Shareware version get the update free). Not sure what they're
address is, but their BBS number is 707/579-0523 (2400 baud, 8 lines). If you
don't want to spend the $100, your best bet would be Handshake (only but I
know of [second hand - never used it] is in part of the initialization). Both
Handshake and Amic 1.0 have Kermit (Amic ahs Xmodem, Xmodem 1K, WXmodem, Ymodem
Batch, Zmodem, Direct (for error-correction modems), and one called Amic-Talk,
which is like DoubleTalk in Diga! (send/recieve/chat at same time - they are
also working on a BBS program with Amic-Talk).

After typing this in, I just realized that I'm probably going to have to put
on my asbestos suit to ward off the flames for my blatent advertising on
Usenet (I am not part of Amic, btw... Only use their program:).

Chris L. Hatch
Usenet: prplworm@cup.portal.com
GEnie:  C.HATCH