[comp.sys.amiga] MacMultitasking...almost

harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) (02/12/88)

In article <8802100646.AA16770@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET writes:
> I still don't like the wimpy pseudo-multitasking like Amiga and Unix push.
> I prefer real multitasking, where each process has its own processor!
> But I've got a lot more soldering before I get there...

	Well at last count, my Amiga has 3 CPU's and 6 coprocessors. Yes, they
run simultainiously.

	Oh wait, you mean multi-processing. Well, when UNIX does this, with
three disparete environments, let me know!

	No problem multi-tasking. Just have to fight for 2 Ethernet addresses for
bandwidth.

--
Work: Computer Consoles Inc. (CCI), Advanced Development Group (ADG)
      Irvine, CA (RISCy business! Home of Regulus and hamiga)

In article <1894@leo.UUCP> harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
>In article <8802100646.AA16770@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET writes:
>> I still don't like the wimpy pseudo-multitasking like Amiga and Unix push.
>> I prefer real multitasking, where each process has its own processor!
>> But I've got a lot more soldering before I get there...
>
>	Well at last count, my Amiga has 3 CPU's and 6 coprocessors. Yes, they
>run simultainiously.
>
>	Oh wait, you mean multi-processing. Well, when UNIX does this, with
>three disparete environments, let me know!
>
>	No problem multi-tasking. Just have to fight for 2 Ethernet addresses for
>bandwidth.

Now Harald.

You can't fool me.

You're flaming this guy arn't you ? Albeit very politely.

He has a point.  He probably isn't going to count the keyboard
microprocessor as a cpu.  He probably wants 25 68020's or 10
Sun 4's.

He probably wants a BBN Butterfly.

*I'd* like a BBN Butterfly too.

I think it's safe to assume that pretty much everybody reading this would
like a BBN Butterfly.

But I'll settle for the most colors for the least price.

--
                "He tried to do his best, but he could not"
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

ross@swan.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) (02/17/88)

In article <1894@leo.UUCP> harald@leo.UUCP ( Harald Milne) writes:
>In article <8802100646.AA16770@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, FXDDR@ALASKA.BITNET writes:
>> I still don't like the wimpy pseudo-multitasking like Amiga and Unix push.
>> I prefer real multitasking, where each process has its own processor!
>> But I've got a lot more soldering before I get there...
>
>	Well at last count, my Amiga has 3 CPU's and 6 coprocessors. Yes, they
>run simultainiously.
>
>	Oh wait, you mean multi-processing. Well, when UNIX does this, with
>three disparete environments, let me know!
Hmmm, well Sequent does run multiple processes on multiple processors and
unix works fine.

Alliant doesn't seem to have a problem mixing unix up with CE's and IOP's.
I believe the IOPs are 68020's.

CDC 825 (don't know if this environment is still for sale) ran NOS, NOS/VE,
and an unix sys V clone all at once.  Note that the processor was switching
instruction sets and memory managment schemes in mid stream.  Quite a nice
idea, and it worked.  The hardware was great, but the software was
a different matter entirely.  I remember one of the engineers looking
at incredously when I asked for wild cards in the SCL for NOS/VE.

	The Amy is nice technology for personal computers, but it is
by no means the forfront of technology today.

							Ross

--
csnet: ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu
uucp:  ross@ulowell.cs.ulowell.edu || ...harvard!ulowell!ross

Trust the computer.	The computer is your friend.

In article <2909@swan.ulowell.edu> ross@swan.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) writes:

>Alliant doesn't seem to have a problem mixing unix up with CE's and IOP's.
>I believe the IOPs are 68020's.

1 million ?

>CDC 825 (don't know if this environment is still for sale) ran NOS, NOS/VE,
>and an unix sys V clone all at once.  Note that the processor was switching
>instruction sets and memory managment schemes in mid stream.  Quite a nice
>idea, and it worked.  The hardware was great, but the software was
>a different matter entirely.  I remember one of the engineers looking
>at incredously when I asked for wild cards in the SCL for NOS/VE.

4 million ?

>	The Amy is nice technology for personal computers, but it is
>by no means the forfront of technology today.

For $1000.00 it is...

----------------------------------

On a related note.  Remeber that smee fella in the UK that started
this heinous "multitasking - a nightmare" bull ?

Well, he and I have been talking, ant what it really comes down to
is he thinks multitasking is pretty neat, and thinks it is usefull
for your average joe, but when one process steps on another all
the benefits are negated.

Can you say 68020 ?  Can you say MMU ?

--
  "My life is changing in so many ways, I don't know who to trust any more"

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger Klorese) (03/15/88)

In article <2594@gryphon.CTS.COM> richard@gryphon.CTS.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <2909@swan.ulowell.edu> ross@swan.ulowell.edu (Ross Miller) writes:
>>
>>Alliant doesn't seem to have a problem mixing unix up with CE's and IOP's.
>>I believe the IOPs are 68020's.
>
>1 million ?

No, starting at $59k.