[comp.sys.amiga] ARP Replacement for List, Dir?

thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (Richard A Thomson) (02/23/88)

I am using a version of ARP that I got from j.cc.purdue.edu by anonymous FTP
(seems to be the version referred to as 31.1 in the transactor article) and
I noticed that there is no replacemenet for the List and Dir command.

This stinks since you cannot use the ARP wildcards with List!  I thought that
ARP would replace all the AmigaDOS commands with faster, smaller versions,
but it seems that these two as well as a couple of others still remain their
old clunky BCPL selves.  Does anybody out there have replacements for these
written to use arp.library?
							Rich Thomson

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (02/23/88)

In article <5276@utah-cs.UUCP> thomson@cs.utah.edu.UUCP (Richard A Thomson) writes:
>Does anybody out there have replacements for these written to use arp.library?

   Ahhh... for the time to play with some of this stuff... :-)

   Seriously though, we here in moderatorville have a new-and-improved version
of arp waiting to be tested, or posted, or something like that... I'll check
into where it is at and see if we can't get it posted sometime soon.

-- Pat White   (co-moderator comp.sources/binaries.amiga)
UUCP: k.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM   PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (02/24/88)

In article <5276@utah-cs.UUCP>, thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (Richard A Thomson) writes:
> I am using a version of ARP that I got from j.cc.purdue.edu by anonymous FTP
> (seems to be the version referred to as 31.1 in the transactor article) and
> I noticed that there is no replacemenet for the List and Dir command.

I sent a copy of ARP v1.04 (arp.library version is 32.1) to comp.bineries.amiga
on February 2nd, and got a confirmation of receipt back.  Neither it, nor v2.8
of vt100 (which Tony sent off a while back) seems to have been posted yet, so
they may be having machine or news s/w problems at Purdue.

This version does indeed have a replacement for the List command.  No replacement
for Dir yet ... I'm not sure why, but I'd guess that Dir is sort of a low
priority due to the large number of dir's, ls's, and the like that are around.
Maybe Chuck McManis (who has contributed to the project) could shed some light
on where ARP is, and where it's going (Chuck ?)

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,ihnp4,uunet,oliveb,cbosgd,ames}!amdahl!kim

thomson@utah-cs.UUCP (Richard A Thomson) (02/25/88)

In article <23007@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com
(Kim DeVaughn) writes:
>I sent a copy of ARP v1.04 (arp.library version is 32.1) to comp.bineries.amiga
>on February 2nd, and got a confirmation of receipt back.
>This version does indeed have a replacement for the List command.
>/kim

I recieved a note from the moderator and they assured me that it was
recieved and that they are testing it out before they post it.

It should be appearing soon at a comp.binaries.amiga near you.

						Rich

In article <23007@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com> (Kim DeVaughn) writes:
> This version does indeed have a replacement for the List command.  No
> replacement for Dir yet ... I'm not sure why, but I'd guess that Dir
> is sort of a low priority due to the large number of dir's, ls's, and
> the like that are around.  Maybe Chuck McManis (who has contributed to
> the project) could shed some light on where ARP is, and where it's
> going (Chuck ?)

Well, Version 1.1, whose release is nearly here, does indeed have both
a List and a Dir command. Additionally, all of the options are the same
(no more 'all' vs 'opt a' etc although the old options still work).
The C bindings are being worked on and the size is still small (< 15K).

Most up to date information is available from Charlie Heath on BIX (cheath)
or by writing to MicroSmiths directly (P.O. Box 561, Cambridge MA 02140)

--Chuck McManis

morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) (03/03/88)

When I got ARP, I installed it on my system disk.  I proceeded to do a
cd or some such, and the machine immediately GURU'd.  I was running
under Matt's shell at the time.

Has anyone else run into this?  Is it fixed?  Or was it just a
coincidence (sp?)?

--
Morgan Jones - Bramalea Software Inc.        morgan@brambo.UUCP
      ...!{uunet!mnetor!lsuc!ncrcan, utgpu!telly}!brambo!morgan

>When I got ARP, I installed it on my system disk.  I proceeded to do a
>cd or some such, and the machine immediately GURU'd.  I was running
>under Matt's shell at the time.
>
>Has anyone else run into this?  Is it fixed?  Or was it just a
>coincidence (sp?)?

	'cd' is an internal command to the shell and has nothing to
do with ARP.  However, if you ran the actual CD executable (ARP CD or
standard CD), you will probably crash the shell.

	If you used the internal cd, the problem lies elsewhere.

						-Matt

kim@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (03/07/88)

In article <8803070542.AA02086@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) writes:
> >When I got ARP, I installed it on my system disk.  I proceeded to do a
> >cd or some such, and the machine immediately GURU'd.  I was running
> >under Matt's shell at the time.
> >
> >Has anyone else run into this?  Is it fixed?  Or was it just a
> >coincidence (sp?)?
>
>         'cd' is an internal command to the shell and has nothing to
> do with ARP.  However, if you ran the actual CD executable (ARP CD or
> standard CD), you will probably crash the shell.

Don't think so ... they (the ARP commands) work just fine under shell
(v2.07m).

I would bet that what was seen as a Guru, was really a Recoverable Alert,
and was due to not having "arp.library" in the libs: directory when the
execution of an ARP commad was attempted (possibly Cd, or CD).

This is a little confusing unless you really *read* the "Big Red Blinking
Box" (which at a glance *looks* like a Guru).  If you read the alert, you'll
notice that you can click on one of the mouse buttons, and it'll recover.

When initially installing ARP, be sure you're using the shell's internal
commands to copy arp.library to libs:, and such.  If you're not using shell,
use something like "c:copy arp.library libs:", where the c:copy command is
NOT the ARP version; *then* copy the ARP commands to your c: dir, etc.

If TBRB (The Big Red  Box) really *was* a Guru, look elsewhere.

/kim

--

In article <305@brambo.UUCP> morgan@brambo.UUCP (Morgan W. Jones) writes:
> When I got ARP, I installed it on my system disk.  I proceeded to do a
> cd or some such, and the machine immediately GURU'd.  I was running
> under Matt's shell at the time.

Ok, some explanations here. When you get arp you *must* put arp.library
in the LIBS: directory. Why? Because the commands that come with the
ARP distribution use it to parse arguments etc. If the library isn't
there, ARP puts up a recoverable Alert (which looks like a GURU to some)
pressing the left button on the mouse would continue. Now enter the
Amiga 2000.

The Amiga has a bug in the ROM that won't allow it to display
recoverable alerts, so when you try the machine *really* GURUs.
Fortunately, there is a program by Andy Finkel (and one by Bryce too)
that patch this bug and then recoverable alerts work as expected. In
release 1.1 of ARP the commands print a message in the window rather
than put up a recoverable alert. Not as cute but safer considering the
situation.

Hope that was the problem you were experiencing ...

--Chuck McManis

shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) (03/08/88)

Hi!

Isn't it, that the ARP-cd trashes with an original C= - Assign or
vice versa? Maybe that is the problem!

Markus
(shimoda@rmi.uucp)

blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) (03/09/88)

From article <44461@sun.uucp>, by cmcmanis%pepper@Sun.COM (Chuck McManis):
> Ok, some explanations here. When you get arp you *must* put arp.library
> in the LIBS: directory. Why? Because the commands that come with the
> ARP distribution use it to parse arguments etc.

One question, why does the ARP.library load in bits and pieces? It's a
bit annoying to type DIR, INFO, ASSIGN, and RENAME a few minutes apart,
and have the system request the ARP.library for each of those commands.
On my messy desk it can take a few minutes to find my SYS: disk again!

It would be nice if the whole library were loaded into RAM at the first
access. It's not so big as to cause memory shortages is it?

Of course there's my work-around: just type all the commands to get the
bits and pieces of the ARP.library loaded, then lose my SYS: disk. :-)

--
Blaine Gardner @ Evans & Sutherland    540 Arapeen Drive, SLC, Utah 84108
UUCP Addresses:  {ihnp4,ucbvax,allegra,decvax}!decwrl!esunix!blgardne

devilbis@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Vilbiss Warren C De) (03/15/88)

In article <742@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:

>It would be nice if the whole library were loaded into RAM at the first
>access. It's not so big as to cause memory shortages is it?

The latest version of ARP, version 1.1, solves this problem very nicely by
adding a LoadLib command (I think I got the name right), which will load the
entire ARP library into RAM initially (especially nice to put into your
Startup-Sequence).  This version ALSO has full implementations of Copy, Dir,
and List, and is definitely a must-have!  I believe that someone has already
posted this to the comp.binaries.amiga moderators (if not, I certainly will!)
  - Mike Shawaluk
  (What? Me have a signature?)

In article <742@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>One question, why does the ARP.library load in bits and pieces? It's a
>bit annoying to type DIR, INFO, ASSIGN, and RENAME a few minutes apart,
>and have the system request the ARP.library for each of those commands.
>On my messy desk it can take a few minutes to find my SYS: disk again!

This shouldn't happen. What can happen is that no one has arp.library open
and it gets expunged because some task asked for a lot of memory. (When I
run DPaint is expunges arp.library). The only other possibility I can think
of is that you have several versions of commands that use arp.library and
they request different versions of the library. (Checking the version on
disk each time).

--Chuck McManis