[comp.sys.amiga] Wish list for VT100 R > 2.8

ugpete@sunybcs (Peter Theobald) (03/05/88)

I was just connected to a friend's Amiga (Hi Shawn) and we were both in VT100.
File transfers went smoothly, but when we were typing to each other, our
characters were intermingled as we typed. We had to agree on typing return,^J
'>' to let the other know we were done typing (like radio: 'over', and
'over and out'). I got to thinking, it would be nice if I could have my
characters appear in a seperate window from the incoming characters, ie: a
output window and in input window. This way we wouldn't step all over each
other. Also, hitting return caused a carriage return, but no line feed.
	One other wish: zmodem! (or maybe I should get a 2400 baud modem :-) )

	-Pete

Peter Theobald				SUNY/Buffalo Computer Science
internet: ugpete@cs.buffalo.edu		bitnet: ugpete@sunybcs.BITNET
uucp: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!ugpete
csnet:	ugpete@buffalo.CSNET

acs@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com (Tony Sumrall) (03/05/88)

In article <9021@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) was, I
think, asking for a "chat" mode.  I have no plans to implement such a
thing unless I get an overwhelming number of requests for it.  He also
makes mention that CR generates a CR but no LF.  I believe that the way it
works is proper unless I implement CHAT mode.  If you feel strongly that
VT100 should have CHAT, please send me e-mail.

He also requests ZMODEM.  As the next full release will contain support
for external transfer programs I'll not implement that either (boy, I'm
no fun!).
--
Tony Sumrall acs@uts.amdahl.com <=> amdahl!acs

[ Opinions expressed herein are the author's and should not be construed
  to reflect the views of Amdahl Corp. ]

bryan@rodan.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) (03/08/88)

In article <9021@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
=-
=-...
=-I was just connected to a friend's Amiga (Hi Shawn) and we were both in VT100.
=-File transfers went smoothly, but when we were typing to each other, our
=-characters were intermingled as we typed. We had to agree on typing return,^J
=-'>' to let the other know we were done typing (like radio: 'over', and
=-'over and out'). I got to thinking, it would be nice if I could have my
=-characters appear in a seperate window from the incoming characters, ie: a
=-output window and in input window. This way we wouldn't step all over each
=-other.
	Unfortunately, in full duplex mode there's no way to distinguish
between echoed characters and characters originating at the other machine.
What's needed is some kind of protocol to separate the two.  I think adding
yet another feature like this to vt100 would be a wasted effort.  A much
better idea would be a 'talk' client/server pair for DNET.
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|bryan@mothra.cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|___{ihnp4,seismo,...}!ut-sally!mothra.cs.utexas.edu!bryan
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

>In article <9021@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) was, I
>think, asking for a "chat" mode.  I have no plans to implement such a
>thing unless I get an overwhelming number of requests for it.  He also
>makes mention that CR generates a CR but no LF.  I believe that the way it
>works is proper unless I implement CHAT mode.  If you feel strongly that
>VT100 should have CHAT, please send me e-mail.

	CHAT is a definate must.  This is from experience.  A couple times
a month I need to talk to people over a modem.  My friend can type at
10 wpm.  I type at 80 wpm.  I *HATE* having to wait for him to finish
his sentence it takes so long!  Also, when both people type at once what
you see on the screen is not very readable.

	For more experienced typers, having two windows is a must because
it allows both to type at full speed at the same time.

	I'm not saying you should put CHAT in, but if you have the time...
I've been getting the same type of requests for DTERM.  Needless to say,
you will be able to do it with DNET easily (just start up to terminal
clients)...

	speaking of which, It will be another two weeks before I get it
out.  I will try to get permission to post it to sources/binaries
directly to avoid the moderator lag time.

					-Matt

shimoda@rmi.UUCP (Markus Schmidt) (03/09/88)

In article <10599@ut-sally.UUCP> bryan@rodan.cs.utexas.edu writes:
: In article <9021@sunybcs.UUCP> ugpete@sunybcs.UUCP (Peter Theobald) writes:
: =-
: =-...
[...]

Oh, there is a way!
You hold your own sending back, until you hit CR and send it as a "packet"
then. And all that is coming in will be shown in the other window.
Btw, I think in chatting everyone will use hdx-echo, so thats no
problem too. (?)

C u
Markus
(shimoda@rmi.uucp)

terry@wsccs.UUCP (terry) (03/12/88)

In article <10599@ut-sally.UUCP>, bryan@rodan.cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer) writes:
> 	Unfortunately, in full duplex mode there's no way to distinguish
> between echoed characters and characters originating at the other machine.

	Fortunately, a full duplex terminal _only_ transmits characters to
the other end, and only displays characters transmitted to it, _not_ echoing
them back down the line:

	keyboard   ------->    screen
	screen     <-------    keyboard

The problem described is either the result of half duplex operation:
(sent to their screen and my screen)

	keyboard   ------->    screen
	   |                      ^
           v                      |
	screen     <-------    keyboard

or talk-mode (echoplex) operation:
(send to their screen and echoed back to my screen)

	keyboard   -------> +-->   screen
	                   /  ^
                    /------  /
                    v /------
        screen     <--+ <-------   keyboard

> What's needed is some kind of protocol to separate the two.  I think adding
> yet another feature like this to vt100 would be a wasted effort.

	Correct on both counts.  The first from an implimentation standpoint,
the second from the "pick up the phone and say it" standpoint, since it's
not going to be able to do anything else at the time anyway.

> A much better idea would be a 'talk' client/server pair for DNET.

	Good idea.  If anybody would get off their laurels and release DNET to
us, I am sure an implimentation could be done here in a very short period of
time, as well as a VMS port, an Atari (the 'A' word) ST port, and an IBM PC
port.  People could even get college credit for it!

	As of yet, we have still to see this mythic monster, DNET.

| Terry Lambert           UUCP: ...!decvax!utah-cs!century!terry              |
| @ Century Software       or : ...utah-cs!uplherc!sp7040!obie!wsccs!terry    |
| SLC, Utah                                                                   |
|                   These opinions are not my companies, but if you find them |
|                   useful, send a $20.00 donation to Brisbane Australia...   |
| 'There are monkey boys in the facility.  Do not be alarmed; you are secure' |

>> A much better idea would be a 'talk' client/server pair for DNET.
>
>	Good idea.  If anybody would get off their laurels and release DNET to
>us, I am sure an implimentation could be done here in a very short period of
>time, as well as a VMS port, an Atari (the 'A' word) ST port, and an IBM PC
>port.  People could even get college credit for it!
>
>	As of yet, we have still to see this mythic monster, DNET.

	Be patient.  I did say "3 weeks" about 10 days ago, I still have a
week.  Do you want a buggy version?  The alpha release I did a month ago
went very well, and many small bugs were fixed and many features added.
One feature being a talk-server/window ... you want a talk window?  how
about two? three?  It will be in the release.

	Speaking of which, due to school load I think I will release DNET
without the parallel port driver (i.e. works only with the serial port).
BUT you can specify the device driver and unit on the command line so
as soon as a bi directional parallel port driver that emulates a serial.device
gets written, it will work.

					-Matt