[comp.sys.amiga] Text

eraps2@aspvax.UUCP (03/15/88)

msl5864@ritcv.UUCP (Michael S. Leibow) writes:
> Hi, I have been working on a program and I find that I need the ability to
> draw parts of a character.  For example, I would like to be able to draw
> only the first half of the letter A, so that it would like like:
>  AAA

Michael,
The simplest thing to do is probably to access the font information
directly.  The font header structure is described in the RKM along
with information on how the font data was packed.  You might also
look at some of the font accelerator programs (at least 1 was posted
to comp.sources.amiga).  These programs basically extract the bitmap
info from the fonts (unpack it) and then allow it to be accessed w/o
unpacking on each character -- the first part of this operation could
provide some clues.

Even simpler (I don't know your actual application, so I don't know
if this is ok) is to save your current location, output the character
and then move forward by a fraction of the character width (available
through the font header).  You could then output a space to clear the
excess data -- NB: this might be tricker with some proportional fonts.

                                            Hope this helps,

Do you think that...       I do!            Rob Ginn
You can't mean...          I'm afraid...    ...burdvax!jtids!aspvax!eraps2
But by now she could be... Yes!             ...sun!liberty!drexel!aspvax!eraps2
--Trevor Graydon           --Jimmy          eraps1@nadc.arpa