[comp.sys.amiga] Digital RGB with Amy

mikeg@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Mike Gladden) (03/16/88)

Has anyone out there in netdom had any success using a digital RGB monitor
with the A500?  I have tried it with two different monitors to no avail.  The
cable was properly assembled, I'm sure, but for the record here's what I
carried through:  Red, Blue, Green, Intensity, Ground, Horizontal Sync, and
Vertical Sync.  I used the pin marked DGnd (I assume that meant digital
ground) for the ground connection.  Oh yes, I did use the DIGITAL RGB lines.

The two monitors were an IBM Enhanced Color Display (which will sync on both
CGA and EGA outputs) and a monochrome Princeton MAX-12 (which is also a dual
sync monitor supporting both CGA and monochrome TTL).  The problem is that no
matter how much tweaking of the horizontal hold adjustments (both outside and
the internal pots) we did, we couldn't seem to get the monitors to sync
horizontally.  What we got on the screen (very faintly) was something like:

1>          1>          1>          1>          1>          1>

Is this a horizontal syncing problem?  If so, why does it exist since the A500
and the A2000 (I assume) supposedly support digital RGB.  If that's not what
it is, what is it?  Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

I have an analog RGB myself and the friend who is trying to get the digital
monitor to work is fully aware of the 16 color limit with the digital monitor,
but he can't afford a new analog monitor right now, so we want to use the
digital monitor temporarily till he can raise some funds.

Thanks in advance,
MIKE GLADDEN
pro-charlotte

In article <2684@crash.cts.com> mikeg@pro-charlotte.cts.com (Mike Gladden) writes:
>Has anyone out there in netdom had any success using a digital RGB monitor
>with the A500?  I have tried it with two different monitors to no avail.  The
>cable was properly assembled, I'm sure, but for the record here's what I
>carried through:  Red, Blue, Green, Intensity, Ground, Horizontal Sync, and
>Vertical Sync.  I used the pin marked DGnd (I assume that meant digital
>ground) for the ground connection.  Oh yes, I did use the DIGITAL RGB lines.

I've done it, and I've got news for you, once you do, you'll realize it
was a waste of time.

At any rate, I don't remember the exact specifics, but I believe the
Hsync and Vsync polarities are reversed.  I have a cable here I made,
which has a 74LS04 hot-glued to the 13 pin connector and runs Hsync and
Vsync through it.

Once you do this, you find that you have to adjust the heck out of
preferences to be able to see what is going on on the screen, and
there are several programs I seem to remember that override preferences
settings resulting in completely unreadable displays.  Anything darker
than some % of full white ends up BLACK.  I found most colors end up
BLACK with many screens on an digital monitor.

Keith Doyle
#  {ucbvax,decvax}!trwrb!cadovax!keithd  Contel Business Systems 213-323-8170