[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga 2000 crashes&burnes hd or RAM

drh@grapevine.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) (03/09/88)

Is it just because I can't sleep and it's 4:00 am, or
did my last posting on this subject not make it????

If anyone saw my posting about "Amiga 2000 harddisk problems"
1-2 weeks ago please let me know.  I got no response.

To briefly restate, my Amiga 2000 crashes when I do copies
from RAM: to hd0, and from hd0: to RAM:, it takes the disk
(hd0) with it when it does  (disk invalid, checksum errors,
invalid key).  The Guru errors vary but 00000003.nnnn &
00000004.nnnnn do seem to up a lot.  What I'm wondering
is, which hardware addition (or motherboard) causes it.
I have an 8MB ASDG memory board (which passes pumemtest),
and a 41MB Miniscribe (I've tried two Seagate 251's &
am on second controller).

My computer is in the shop (Computer Biz), and they are
out of stock, on Amiga 2000's.  Is there someone from
Commodore that KNOWS what to do about this problem?
Is it possible to take my 2000 to Commodore and trade
it for another (I bought it less than 90 days ago), or
is waiting for Computer Biz to get them in stock just
as fast?  I'm wonder about the people at Computer Biz,
what with their "no refund" policy, and they Would Not
give me a replacement for my 1084 moniter, which makes
a small sound, and flickers in one small spot every so
often.

Direct responses appreciated,

D. Ryan Hawley  would be Amiga 2000 user

In article <33463@grapevine.uucp> drh@grapevine.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) writes:

>To briefly restate, my Amiga 2000 crashes when I do copies
>from RAM: to hd0, and from hd0: to RAM:, it takes the disk
>(hd0) with it when it does  (disk invalid, checksum errors,
>invalid key).  The Guru errors vary but 00000003.nnnn &
>00000004.nnnnn do seem to up a lot.  What I'm wondering
>is, which hardware addition (or motherboard) causes it.
>I have an 8MB ASDG memory board (which passes pumemtest),

As I responded to a similar message fron a guy with a Microbotics
memory expansion, errors of type 00000003.xxxx and 00000004.xxxx
usually result from BAD memory chips.  Do you have the same
errors WITHOUT the ASDG board?  Do you have a program to check out
the 1Meg on the motherboard (I though one such program was
posted to comp.sys.amiga a while ago)?

-- Marco

zofka@cernvax.UUCP (zofka) (03/11/88)

In article <33463@grapevine.uucp> drh@grapevine.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) writes:
>Is it just because I can't sleep and it's 4:00 am, or
>did my last posting on this subject not make it????
>
>If anyone saw my posting about "Amiga 2000 harddisk problems"
>1-2 weeks ago please let me know.  I got no response.

I have also some problems with my a2000 with 3.5 meg of mem and a2090
Did you see my article on comp.sys.amiga.tech ???

Seems to be an arbitration problem with the cpu slot with old a2000
(I have ser. number 202!)

But nonody wants to help me (Oh yes, commodore wants to change my mainboard
for 300 $ !!)

Milan ZOFKA

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/17/88)

In article <33463@grapevine.uucp> drh@grapevine.uucp (D. Ryan Hawley) writes:
>Is it just because I can't sleep and it's 4:00 am, or
>did my last posting on this subject not make it????
>
>If anyone saw my posting about "Amiga 2000 harddisk problems"
>1-2 weeks ago please let me know.  I got no response.
>
>To briefly restate, my Amiga 2000 crashes when I do copies
>from RAM: to hd0, and from hd0: to RAM:, it takes the disk
>(hd0) with it when it does  (disk invalid, checksum errors,
>invalid key).  The Guru errors vary but 00000003.nnnn &
>00000004.nnnnn do seem to up a lot.  What I'm wondering
>is, which hardware addition (or motherboard) causes it.
>I have an 8MB ASDG memory board (which passes pumemtest),
>and a 41MB Miniscribe (I've tried two Seagate 251's &
>am on second controller).

Sounds like there may be some bad RAM on your 8 Meg board. PuMemTest
is not intended to be an all encompassing reliable memory test. It is
there to try and catch serious hard faults as they may occur during
normal operation of your machine - it will not catch many of the more
subtle failures of RAM chips. If you are indeed seeing crashes as
a result of some operation which references various parts of memory
(like a copy into a RAM-Disk), you should run the complete memory
diagnostics that came with your ASDG memory board. To do this on an
A2000, you must remove the link-jumper from the 8MI, power up and run
the the full blown diagnostics provided on your installation and extras
disk. The procedure is fully documented in your manual.

Did you populate the memory board yourself? If you have further questions,
you should call ASDG at 608-273-6585.

>D. Ryan Hawley  would be Amiga 2000 user

Eric Lavitsky
ASDG Incorporated

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854