[comp.sys.amiga] Need help with aux-handler/newcli

wayne@utflis.UUCP (Wayne Young) (03/15/88)

[Will it pass the taste-test?]

Well, the niftiest thing has happened to me today: I managed to lay my
hands on a dumb terminal!  Free!

So, now I need help hooking this thing up to Amy's serial port and using
it as an extension.  I'm pretty sure I've got the wiring down right, since
a vt100 terminal emulator and this dumb terminal will pass characters back
and forth, but I can't seem to get a responsive CLI on the dumb terminal.
I know this terminal works, both because I've seen it hooked up to the 6809
boards at school, and because I've used it with the -debug option in the
Amiga's workbench.

I've tried simply using "newcli ser:", which causes a nice "New CLI Task 2"
message to appear on the terminal's display, but then, I can't get the
CLI to respond.  I've also tried using Steve Drew's _Aux-Handler_v1.0_,
but the response is quite similar.  In fact, contrary to the docs, DEL and
^U don't work at all.  CR simply CR's (no LF) despite all attempts at using
the settable options.  I've also tried tweaking the preferences settings
to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated, since I have a friend here who would like
to be able use the amiga while I am, and since I sometimes like to have
two physical 'windows' into the work I doing.

Thanks in advance,

wayne

--
               {utzoo,decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsri!utflis!wayne

In article <1075@utflis.UUCP> wayne@flis.toronto.edu.UUCP (Wayne Young) writes:
>I've tried simply using "newcli ser:", which causes a nice "New CLI Task 2"
>message to appear on the terminal's display, but then, I can't get the
>CLI to respond.  I've also tried using Steve Drew's _Aux-Handler_v1.0_,
>but the response is quite similar.  In fact, contrary to the docs, DEL and
>^U don't work at all.  CR simply CR's (no LF) despite all attempts at using
>the settable options.  I've also tried tweaking the preferences settings
>to no avail.

Well, I works for me so I must assume you left out some crucial spell. Try
these steps :
	Make an entry in your MountList (Devs:MountList) for the AUX:
	handler.

	Mount AUX: from the cli

	NewCLI AUX:

Now, are you running a CLI on the terminal? It will use the baud rate and
data format set up in preferences.

--Chuck McManis