[comp.sys.amiga] Infected Disks

ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Noel Gorelick) (03/15/88)

     With all of the strains of disk viruses going around, how do I make
sure that I don't have infected disks, and If they are infected, how do
I get rid of the nasties?  (Disk Penicillin?)

(Somebody said "It's on a fish disk", well, what do I do if I cant
find fish disks? (I personally can't afford $6 a disk, for 118 disks)

"Ignore the man behind the curtain!" |   ngorelic@csm9a
          -The Wizard of OZ          |   ...cu-den!udenva!isis!csm9a!ngorelic

bilbo@pnet02.cts.com (Bill Daggett) (03/17/88)

Safe disk habits:

1.  Never play or work from your master disks - period.
2.  Backup anything precious to you like DATA.

I haven't been hit by the virus and when I am I'll probably be pissed, but
even if I had to reformat the hard drive I can put things back together.

Make sure you can too.  Beyond that, don't get paranoid about the viruses.
Enjoy your computer hobby/business.

Bill

UUCP: {ihnp4!scgvaxd!cadovax rutgers!marque}!gryphon!pnet02!bilbo
INET: bilbo@pnet02.cts.com

fnf@fishpond.UUCP (Fred Fish) (03/18/88)

In article <655@csm9a.UUCP> ngorelic@csm9a.UUCP (Noel Gorelick) writes:
>(Somebody said "It's on a fish disk", well, what do I do if I cant
>find fish disks? (I personally can't afford $6 a disk, for 118 disks)

The solution to this dilemma that I usually recommend to people is to
trot down to your local amiga dealer and clue him in to the existence
of the library.  If he has NUMCUST customers, ask him what kind of
profit he would make if he had a complete library in his store and
was able to sell (128 * NUMCUST) blank disks for people to copy
from his library.  If this amount is greater than (128 * $3) then
his net cost is $0 to order the entire library (yes the price drops
that low in that quantity).

P.S.  In about 5 days change 128 to either 138 or 140 depending upon
      how much spare time I get this weekend.   :-)

-Fred

--
# Fred Fish    hao!noao!mcdsun!fishpond!fnf     (602) 921-1113
# Ye Olde Fishpond, 1346 West 10th Place, Tempe, AZ 85281  USA