[comp.sys.amiga] Hypermedia

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (03/18/88)

I've been noticing that a lot of folk are posting to BBS's stacks of
stacks, so to speak, for Hypercard.  Just a curious thought about
those - if the format of a stack is well defined, wouldn't it be
a nice project for someone (not me please) to implement a stack
browser for the Amiga?   Just a thought.

Rob Peck			...ihnp4!hplabs!ardent!rap

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (03/18/88)

In article <331@ardent.UUCP> rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) writes:
>I've been noticing that a lot of folk are posting to BBS's stacks of
>stacks, so to speak, for Hypercard.  Just a curious thought about
>those - if the format of a stack is well defined, wouldn't it be
>a nice project for someone (not me please) to implement a stack
>browser for the Amiga?   Just a thought.
>
>Rob Peck			...ihnp4!hplabs!ardent!rap

Does anyone know the format of a stack?  Can anyone suggest a source for
such information?  I read in Danny Goodman's book that Bill Atkinson wanted
the format to be made available for anyone to be able to develop HyperCard
stack readers.  But in 'MacIntosh Technical Notes', #170, entitled
"HyperCard File Format" it says,

	"The file format of a HyperCard stack is
	proprietary and will not be documented."

I know that at least one company has developed a MacIntosh DA to
browse stacks, so they had to get their info from somewhere, or else
have made use of some Apple-supplied toolbox for accessing stacks.

Recently, I asked comp.graphics for information on the graphic format
employed by HyperCard (supposedly achieving 30:1 compression ratios with
patent pending).  No one seemed to have a specific understanding of what
the encodings are.

I have a bunch of HyperCard stacks on my Amiga, and have spent many hours
attempting to divine the internals.  I'm getting nowhere fairly quickly,
tho.

-scott