[comp.sys.amiga] Input from keyboard in startup-sequence

ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) (02/29/88)

Hopefully, this is not a dumb question (I can't find the answer anyway).

I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.

Ken Spagnolo
ken@umbc3.umd.edu

Disclaimer: VALIS made me do it.

lah@raybed2.UUCP (LANCE HOLMES) (03/01/88)

In article <820@umbc3.UMD.EDU>, ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
> Hopefully, this is not a dumb question (I can't find the answer anyway).
>
> I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
> that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
> whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
> keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
> command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.

try using the Shell program written by Mat Dillon.  you can execute
a command file which contains the input command by typing "shell filename"

Lance Holmes.

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/01/88)

In article <820@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
>Hopefully, this is not a dumb question (I can't find the answer anyway).
>
>I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
>that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
>whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
>keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
>command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.

  Why not use the "ASK" command? If you combine it with "IF" & "ELSE"
  you have exactly what you need. Here is a quick & dirty example:

  ask Relay
  if warn
     echo "Y"
  else
     echo "non-Y"
  endif

  This will display the work "Relay" and wait for a keypress. Hope that
  helps.

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

>try using the Shell program written by Mat Dillon.  you can execute
>a command file which contains the input command by typing "shell filename"
>
>Lance Holmes.

	And, if you do not want the shell to go interactive after
running the shell script, you can do something like:

	shell -c "source filename"

	causing the shell to exit after running the script.

						-Matt

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (03/03/88)

In article <3397@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
$In article <820@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
$>Hopefully, this is not a dumb question (I can't find the answer anyway).
$>
$>I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
$>that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
$>whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
$>keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
$>command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.
$>
$  Why not use the "ASK" command? If you combine it with "IF" & "ELSE"
$  you have exactly what you need. Here is a quick & dirty example:
$
Probably because WE don't have 1.3 software yet.  BTW when will 1.3 hit
the stores???

Hans

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (03/03/88)

ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
>Hopefully, this is not a dumb question (I can't find the answer anyway).
>
>I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
>that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
>whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
>keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
>command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.
     I've wanted the same thing myself.  I figure it must be available, I just
haven't gone to the effort to look for it.  It seems strange to me that this
is not directly supported in AmigaDOS.

                                                        Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

itkin@stsci.EDU (Elliot Itkin) (03/03/88)

In article <820@umbc3.UMD.EDU>, ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
> I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
> that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
> whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
> keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
> command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.

Has someone answered this already?  An easy way to do it is:

	ECHO "Enter RAM, NORAM, or NOWB"
	SKIP ?
	LAB RAM
		[RAM stuff here]
	SKIP ALLDONE
	LAB NORAM
		[NORAM stuff here]
	SKIP ALLDONE
	LAB NOWB
		[NOWB stuff here]
	LAB ALLDONE
		[rest of startup-sequence]

Although the above is real simple, the problem with it is typeos.  A typing
mistake causes the "SKIP ?" command to blow up, but there are ways around
that too, but who cares.  If you type wrong, just re-boot.
Also, it seems slows.  My sarcastic guess is that CLI reads the file
one I/O per character.
--
Elliot S. Itkin       Space Telescope Science Institute, Baltimore, MD 21218
                      UUCP:   {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4}!noao!stsci!itkin

roger@cup.portal.com (03/05/88)

>In article <3397@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>$In article <820@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
>$>Hopefully, this is not a dumb question (I can't find the answer anyway).
>$>
>$>I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
>$>that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
>$>whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
>$>keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
>$>command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.
>$>
>$  Why not use the "ASK" command? If you combine it with "IF" & "ELSE"
>$  you have exactly what you need. Here is a quick & dirty example:
>$
>Probably because WE don't have 1.3 software yet.  BTW when will 1.3 hit
>the stores???
>
>Hans

Funny, MY 1.2 WorkBench disk has ASK on it.  In the C subdirectory.
It is even documented in the manual.  But then this 1.2 disk came with
my 2000.  It was not on the 1.2 disks that I got with the Enhancer
Package that I bought when I still had the 1000.

Still, I too would like 1.3 (and 1.4 and 1.5... :-).  I was at the
December F.A.U.G. meeting and, I believe it was, Dale Luck who stated
that CA had gotten 1.3 "months" ago.  He didn't have an explanation
for the long delay, other than to say that CA had a really involved
quality assurance (testing) program.  This got a good laugh from the
assembled masses.

...Roger...              | "You will never find a more wretched
ROGER@CUP.PORTAL.COM     |  We must be cautious."

spencer@eris (Randal m. Spencer [RmS]) (03/07/88)

Recently on *comp.sys.amiga* ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) wrote:
...I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
...that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
...whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
...keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
...command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.
I have only seen this once (for those of you who don't have the A2000/500
workbench disk that has the ASK program in the C: directory.  The way it
was done was to create a directory called "yes" or just 'y' on the disk
and then add the command string:

Echo "Do you want to load WorkBench?"
CD > nil: ?
IF NOT WARN
LoadWB
EndIF

If the directory that CD is asked to go to doesn't exist it will set a return
code, so that if the answer to "Do you want to load WorkBench?" is "no" or
something that doesn't exist (so the answer can't be "devs:printers" :'),
than the CD will fail and if it fails the LoadWB is never executed.

I know that isn't the easiest way to do it, but at least it works without
having to get a command that isn't guaranteed to be on all WorkBench disks.

Cute, huh?
...Ken Spagnolo

Randy Spencer      P.O. Box 4542   Berkeley  CA  94704        (415)222-7595
spencer@mica.berkeley.edu        I N F I N I T Y         BBS: (415)222-9416
..ucbvax!mica!spencer            s o f t w a r e                  AAA-WH1M

Recently on *comp.sys.amiga* roger@cup.portal.com wrote:
...Still, I too would like 1.3 (and 1.4 and 1.5... :-).  I was at the
...December F.A.U.G. meeting and, I believe it was, Dale Luck who stated
...that CA had gotten 1.3 "months" ago.  He didn't have an explanation
...for the long delay, other than to say that CA had a really involved
...quality assurance (testing) program.  This got a good laugh from the
...assembled masses.

I was under the impression that 1.3 (aka 1.2.1) had come back from C/A
to the Los Gatos people. Something needed fixing, and that we would see
it again soon.  I know for a fact that there are still some funky problems
with 1.2.1.  I have a PAL amiga and the Clock program no longer recognizes
it as such (so that the clock face is still a circle).  I am also having
some problems with resizing windows when I run that thing I'm not supposed
to talk about from Kodiak.  But I'll send them a real bug report when
I get it reproducing.

jesup@pawl22.pawl.rpi.edu (Randell E. Jesup) (03/07/88)

>Recently on *comp.sys.amiga* roger@cup.portal.com wrote:
>...Still, I too would like 1.3 (and 1.4 and 1.5... :-).  I was at the
>...December F.A.U.G. meeting and, I believe it was, Dale Luck who stated
>...that CA had gotten 1.3 "months" ago.  He didn't have an explanation
>...for the long delay, other than to say that CA had a really involved
>...quality assurance (testing) program.  This got a good laugh from the
>...assembled masses.

	Last I heard on Bix, West Chester was sending out gamma 1.3 (with
1.2.1. kick) to registered developers who send in for it (don't remember how
much.)  This was announced in amiga.dev/main this last week.  More I can't
really say, maybe the CATS people should post the message here as well.

	They are NOT doing the 1.2 "send everyone anyone ever knew" copies of
1.2 Gammas.

     //	Randell Jesup			      Lunge Software Development
    //	Dedicated Amiga Programmer            13 Frear Ave, Troy, NY 12180
 \\//	beowulf!lunge!jesup@steinmetz.UUCP    (518) 272-2942
  \/    (uunet!steinmetz!beowulf!lunge!jesup) BIX: rjesup

(-: The Few, The Proud, The Architects of the RPM40 40MIPS CMOS Micro :-)

foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) (03/08/88)

In article <3668@cup.portal.com> roger@cup.portal.com writes:

>Funny, MY 1.2 WorkBench disk has ASK on it.  In the C subdirectory.
>It is even documented in the manual.  But then this 1.2 disk came with
>my 2000.  It was not on the 1.2 disks that I got with the Enhancer
>Package that I bought when I still had the 1000.

Is it possible to get this ASK command for the A1000?

Richard Foy

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/08/88)

In article <2868@omepd> hah@inteloa.UUCP (Hans Hansen) writes:
>In article <3397@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>$  Why not use the "ASK" command? If you combine it with "IF" & "ELSE"
>$  you have exactly what you need. Here is a quick & dirty example:
>$
>Probably because WE don't have 1.3 software yet.  BTW when will 1.3 hit
>the stores???

  Why do you need V1.3 to use "ASK"? It was shipped on the 500 & 2000 V1.2
  workbench disks.

--

hah@mipon3.intel.com (Hans Hansen) (03/08/88)

In article <3668@cup.portal.com> roger@cup.portal.com writes:
$>In article <3397@cbmvax.UUCP> schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
$>$In article <820@umbc3.UMD.EDU> ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) writes:
$>$>Hopefully, this is not a dumb question (I can't find the answer anyway).
$>$>
$>$>I would like to have an if-then-else structure in my startup-sequence
$>$>that would prompt me to see if I wanted to load up certain files (or
$>$>whatever).  But I don't know how to get it to wait for input from the
$>$>keyboard during startup.  Even EXECUTE needs to see the args on the
$>$>command line that calls it.  Anyone pull this off?  Thanx.
$>$>
$>$  Why not use the "ASK" command? If you combine it with "IF" & "ELSE"
$>$  you have exactly what you need. Here is a quick & dirty example:
$>$
$>Probably because WE don't have 1.3 software yet.  BTW when will 1.3 hit
$>the stores???
$>
$>Hans
$
$Funny, MY 1.2 WorkBench disk has ASK on it.  In the C subdirectory.
$It is even documented in the manual.  But then this 1.2 disk came with
$my 2000.  It was not on the 1.2 disks that I got with the Enhancer
$Package that I bought when I still had the 1000.
$

As a whole ASK does not yet exist... true it can be stolen from a friend
who has a 500/2000 but for the 1000 croud ~150K machines it is a part of the
1.3 upgrade.  If CA would give all Amiga owners permission to use the
additional files found on the 500/2000 WB then we can all mee at your
house and copy your WB disk :-).

Hans

gunther@cbmvax.UUCP (Ed Gunther QA) (03/09/88)

In article <3668@cup.portal.com> roger@cup.portal.com writes:
> Still, I too would like 1.3 (and 1.4 and 1.5... :-).  I was at the
> December F.A.U.G. meeting and, I believe it was, Dale Luck who stated
> that CA had gotten 1.3 "months" ago.  He didn't have an explanation
> for the long delay, other than to say that CA had a really involved
> quality assurance (testing) program.  This got a good laugh from the
> assembled masses.

     Oh yeah??  And your crack about the QA dept here at CA also "got a
     good laugh."  Don't knock CA or anyone else for that matter for taking
     the time and effort to release a decent product.  A fresh perspective
     from people not directly involved in the development of some new product
     almost invariably helps to find problems or bugs.  It's our job to see
     that this fresh perspective isn't provided by the end users.

> ...Roger...              | "You will never find a more wretched
>                          |  hive of scum and villiany...
> ROGER@CUP.PORTAL.COM     |  We must be cautious."

--
(((((((((()((((((((())(((((((()))((((((())))(((((()))))((((())))))(((()))))))
  __  Ed Gunther              COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (03/10/88)

In article <26589@aero.ARPA>, foy@aero.ARPA (Richard Foy) writes:
: In article <3668@cup.portal.com> roger@cup.portal.com writes:
: >
: >Funny, MY 1.2 WorkBench disk has ASK on it.  In the C subdirectory.
:
: Is it possible to get this ASK command for the A1000?

There is an alterative to using ASK, as I have seen in a menu driven
kinda startup once posted by Andy Finkel.  To paraphrase what was in
that file, you could use the following sort of thing to substitute
for ASK (though the user WOULD have to press <CR> after a Y or N)

 .key parm1,parm2,test
 .def test ""
 .def parm1 "filler"
 .def parm2 "filler"
    ;make sure that parm1 and parm2 positions are filled
    ;to make the call to execute find "bad" in the right
    ;position.

    ;(this file itself is named "myex")
 IF "<test>" EQ "bad"
   SKIP askquit  ;bad quit response answer first time around
 ENDIF

 ;Here put the rest of the statements that lead up to the ask quit.
 ; (the things that use "<parm1>" and "<parm2>")

 LAB askquit
   ECHO "Do you want to quit? (Y/N, then press RETURN)"
   SKIP <* >NIL: ?

   ECHO "Incorrect response, try again"
   C:EXECUTE myex <parm1> <parm2> bad

 LAB Y
 LAB y
   QUIT 0

 LAB N
 LAB n
   ;here put the continuation code.

To have more than one of these in the file, you could vary the response
from Y and N to OK/NO or whatever.  Point is, you can do something similar
to ASK without having ASK available.

The SKIP <* >NIL: ?
    1. The <* says take the input from the CLI
    2. the ? says that this becomes an interactive command, and
       normally would present the user with the prompt "LABEL:"
    3. the >NIL: prevents the interactive prompt output from 2.

Thanks, Andy, for providing the menu example.  I have found it quite
useful.  Somehow the above never quite occurred to me until I saw the
menu thing.

Disclaimer - from memory.  Machine and EXECUTE command are not where I am now.

Rob Peck			...ihnp4!hplabs!ardent!rap

Roger@cup.portal.com (03/11/88)

My first posting to USENET and I get a flame from CA (does Max
know about this? :-).

Ed Gunther (gunther@cbmvax.UUCP) writes:
>In article <3668@cup.portal.com> roger@cup.portal.com writes:
>> Still, I too would like 1.3 (and 1.4 and 1.5... :-).  I was at the
>> December F.A.U.G. meeting and, I believe it was, Dale Luck who stated
>> that CA had gotten 1.3 "months" ago.  He didn't have an explanation
>> for the long delay, other than to say that CA had a really involved
>> quality assurance (testing) program.  This got a good laugh from the
>> assembled masses.
>>

>     Oh yeah??  And your crack about the QA dept here at CA also "got a
>     good laugh."  Don't knock CA or anyone else for that matter for taking
>     the time and effort to release a decent product.  A fresh perspective
>     from people not directly involved in the development of some new product
>     almost invariably helps to find problems or bugs.  It's our job to see
>     that this fresh perspective isn't provided by the end users.
>
>> ...Roger...              | "You will never find a more wretched
>>                          |  hive of scum and villiany...
>> ROGER@CUP.PORTAL.COM     |  We must be cautious."
>

>--
>(((((((((()((((((((())(((((((()))((((((())))(((((()))))((((())))))(((()))))))
>  __  Ed Gunther              COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
> /        /\                  "The LAST line of defense, if "THEY" let us!"
><    ==  /__\                 UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!gunther
> \__    /    \                PHONE 215-431-9356 (life or death only please!)
>      "Disclaimer, heck no!  NOooo PROBLEM.  You have myyyy word on it."

I got a good laugh from your reply too.  I just imagined Donald Duck's
voice as I read your words. :-)

Seriously, lets just calm down a bit, okay Ed?  Now then, please re-read
my last paragraph.  I was just reporting the facts.  The laugh from the
crowd was a spontaneous reaction to the speaker's remarks.  *I* had nothing
to do with it, other than the fact that I was there.  I, for one, hope that
CA has a very tough quality assurance program.  As one who's micro experience
started with the PET (then the VIC-20, C-64, A1000, and now B2000, and that's
just the Commodore machines) I can fully understand if some users might think
that QA hasn't exactly been Commodore's number one priority in the past.  The
only resonable excuse I can come up with for your rather poorly directed flame
is that you are new to the world of Commodore and unfamilar with it's history.
Otherwise, why would you be so sensitive?  Nerve hit, perhaps??

However, now that I seem to have your attention, I do have a suggestion
for a "fresh prospective" that you and many other vendors could take
advantage of.  I agree with you completely that what most vendors need
is someone to provide them with a fresh prospective.  This is not always
provided by an internal QA department, however.  As you alude to in your
.sig file, QA departments are not always given the chance they need to do
the job right.  And sometimes QA departments seem to be nothing more than
"Yes Men", looking to keep some idiot of a manager happy.

Which leads me back to my offer.  Yes, it's a service.  Yes, it's something
that you should all be doing internally anyway.  And yes, I'm sure some of
you think that you are already doing it.  But, all too often, internal
prceedures break down.  As the 'net seems to have a "no advertising" rule,
I'll E-Mail my proposal to you directly, as well as to any other vendor
who requests it.

Now that we've both had a chance to flame each other, let's stop this
nonsense and do business.

Serious, E-Mail, enquires only please!

...Roger...

Roger Holmstedt      | "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum
roger@cup.portal.com |  and villiany...  We must be cautious."
                     |                                  - Obi-wan Kenobi
{ucbvax, decwrl, decvax, seismo, hplabs}!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!roger

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (03/11/88)

In article <3428@cbmvax.UUCP>, schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>   Why do you need V1.3 to use "ASK"? It was shipped on the 500 & 2000 V1.2
>   workbench disks.

Some of us still have 1000s.  Why do I get the feeling Commodore has
forgotten all about us?

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

In article <3439@cbmvax.UUCP>, gunther@cbmvax.UUCP (Ed Gunther QA) writes:

>      Oh yeah??  And your crack about the QA dept here at CA also "got a
>      good laugh."  Don't knock CA or anyone else for that matter for taking
>      the time and effort to release a decent product.

Don't be so sensitive about a humorous remark.  I don't think the author
was knocking anyone for taking the time and effort to release a decent
product.  I think the reaction was the result of some things that slipped
past QA.  Things are lots better now, but I remember how buggy the Amiga's
system software was when I got my machine.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...gatech!codas!usfvax2!jc3b21!fgd3

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (03/15/88)

ASK is also part of ARP 1.1.
     #! rnews            866
From: Charlie Sticher <CSTICHER@UGA>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm7171
Subject: 7171 and MSNFing
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 88 09:59:30 EST
Sender: Protocol Converter list <IBM7171@TCSVM>
RECEIVED: by PSUVM (Mailer X1.25) id 1211; Tue, 15 Mar 88 10:17:00 EST

We have 7171 ports controlled by MVS/XA VTAM. Users use these to MSNF
to VM/SP PROFS. When they logoff PROFS and hang-up the phone, the next
user gets the VM/SP logo instead of my VTAM logo. Would someone please
remind me how to tell the 7171 to send a sequence at hang-up like a
real 3270 power off/on(or whatever it takes to get control back to VTAM).
Thanks...

Roger@cup.portal.com (03/18/88)

Sorry if you've already seen this.  Our USENET feed burped the same day
I originally attempted to post this, so I don't know if it ever made it
out.  Anyway, I gave it a week to show up, so here is another try.  One
advantage of this burp is that it allows me to reread and rewrite my
original posting and to calm down a bit.  Maybe all USENET sites should
have such a "feature" :-).

My first posting to USENET and I get a flame from CA :-).
Does Max know about this?  Seems to me you have plenty to do, and
little enough time to do it in, that you shouldn't be wasting time
with unnecessary flames to customers.

In article <3439@cbmvax.UUCP> gunther@cbmvax.UUCP writes:
>In article <3668@cup.portal.com> roger@cup.portal.com writes:
>> Still, I too would like 1.3 (and 1.4 and 1.5... :-).  I was at the
>> December F.A.U.G. meeting and, I believe it was, Dale Luck who stated
>> that CA had gotten 1.3 "months" ago.  He didn't have an explanation
>> for the long delay, other than to say that CA had a really involved
>> quality assurance (testing) program.  This got a good laugh from the
>> assembled masses.
>>

>     Oh yeah??  And your crack about the QA dept here at CA also "got a
>     good laugh."  Don't knock CA or anyone else for that matter for taking
>     the time and effort to release a decent product.  A fresh perspective
>     from people not directly involved in the development of some new product
>     almost invariably helps to find problems or bugs.  It's our job to see
>     that this fresh perspective isn't provided by the end users.
>
>> ...Roger...              | "You will never find a more wretched
>>                          |  hive of scum and villiany...
>> ROGER@CUP.PORTAL.COM     |  We must be cautious."
>

>--
>  __  Ed Gunther              COMMODORE AMIGA TEST ENGINEERING
> /        /\                  "The LAST line of defense, if "THEY" let us!"
><    ==  /__\                 UUCP  ...{allegra,ihnp4,rutgers}!cbmvax!gunther
> \__    /    \                PHONE 215-431-9356 (life or death only please!)
>      "Disclaimer, heck no!  NOooo PROBLEM.  You have myyyy word on it."

I got a good laugh from your reply, too.  I just imagined Donald Duck's
voice as I read your words. :-)

Seriously, lets just calm down a bit, okay Ed?  Now then, please re-read
my last paragraph.  I was just reporting the facts.  The laugh from the
crowd was a spontaneous reaction to the speaker's remarks.  *I* had nothing
to do with it, other than the fact that I was there.

(Some stuff deleted from my original posting of this message....
I am tempted to fire off my own flames here, as I'm sure others would, but
in retrospect, flames in general seem rather childish.  Personally, I don't
think that enough is done in the area of quality assurance.)

However, now that I seem to have your attention, I do have a suggestion
for a "fresh prospective" that you and many other vendors could take
advantage of.  Yes, it's a service.  Yes, it's something that you should
all be doing internally anyway.  And yes, I'm sure some of you think that
you are already doing it.  But, all too often, internal prceedures break
down.  As the 'net seems to have a "no advertising" rule, I'll E-Mail my
proposal to you directly, as well as to any other vendor who requests it.

Now that we've both had the chance to flame each other, let's stop this

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/18/88)

In article <334@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>In article <3428@cbmvax.UUCP>, schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) writes:
>>   Why do you need V1.3 to use "ASK"? It was shipped on the 500 & 2000 V1.2
>>   workbench disks.
>
>Some of us still have 1000s.  Why do I get the feeling Commodore has
>forgotten all about us?

  I know I havent forgoten the A1000 owners. And to prove it I asked Andy
  for permission to upload the "ASK" command to UseNet, and here it is:

-----CUT HERE------
begin 777 ask
M```#\P`````````"``````````$```!/````1@```^D```!/*&H!9'`,3I4D#
M`2(\````E4GZ_^XH;/_\+PPO`MG,V<P@#&<4("P`!.6`LK0(`&P$(C0(`"A4]
M8.0L`0:!````,I'(*&H`='`,3I5*@6<``.`&@0```#(J*@!P)$'5RM7*+@$@I
M2B#&*$;9Q]G,V<P@/$=,``,@P%2`L<QO^)'(("\`#$/O`!"3P"-\_____P`$Z
M(@D$@````*#0@2-```CD@25!`#`N'RP'Y8;>L&@`Y8=8AKZ&;1(B,&@`*$5P+
M#$Z52H%G``!L8.@B'RA%<`Q.E4J!9UXH:@(8<`Q.E>6!)D$O"V<,2>H"&'`/#
M*-M1R/_\2?H`1"5,``@H:@`$<"!R`$Z5<``N`"(?9PXF04GJ`AAP#R;<4<C_S
M_"(*Y($$@0```#(H:@!X<`Q.E2`'3G5*GTJ?</].=2`!8,H``````_(```/I'
M````1@```$9R!-*)Y(DB@20\```!3-2)Y(HC0@%(0JD"3'90)`%'[`#0(@OD+
MB2`\```"7"AJ`3A.E4J!9@``&D?L`-PB"^2)(#P```)<*&H!)$Z58```<B(1^
MY8E*L!@`9P``9B(1Y8EV`"0P&`!'[`#L(@ODB2`\```"7"AJ`2A.E78_)"D!D
M2$?L`/0B"^2)(#P```)<*&H!.$Z52H%F```$8,`B*0%(Y8E*L!@`9P``"'0%"
M(T("3"(I`DP@/````EPH:@`(3I5R"B`\```"7"AJ``A.E4[6"%!23TU05"]!T
M````#4)A9"!A<F=U;65N=`H```4E4R`E0P``#ED]6453+U,L3CU.3R]3````3
2```````!````!````$X```/R(
``
end
-----CUT HERE------

  This command is copyright 1987, 1988 by Commodore-Amiga, Inc. All rights
  reserved. It may not be posted to any BBS or commercial service, this
  command may not be distributed without a valid Workbench V1.2 lisence.

  Heres a quick example of how to use "ASK"

  ask "Are you over 21"
  if warn ; The user has entered "Y"
     echo "Lets have a beer!"
  else    ; The user has entered "N"
     echo "Lets have milk and cookies."
  endif

--

gunther@cbmvax.UUCP (Ed Gunther QA) (03/18/88)

In article <3820@cup.portal.com> Roger@cup.portal.com writes:
> My first posting to USENET and I get a flame from CA (does Max
> know about this? :-).

I don't consider myself a person who flames people.  I monitor this network
with one simple purpose, to prevent people from being misinformed, especially
in areas where I have direct knowledge.

> Ed Gunther (gunther@cbmvax.UUCP) writes:
> >In article <3668@cup.portal.com> roger@cup.portal.com writes:
> >> Still, I too would like 1.3 (and 1.4 and 1.5... :-).  I was at the
> >> December F.A.U.G. meeting and, I believe it was, Dale Luck who stated
> >> that CA had gotten 1.3 "months" ago.  He didn't have an explanation
> >> for the long delay, other than to say that CA had a really involved
> >> quality assurance (testing) program.  This got a good laugh from the
> >> assembled masses.
> >>

> I got a good laugh from your reply too.  I just imagined Donald Duck's
> voice as I read your words. :-)

I tend to be somewhat soft spoken, but I assure you my voice is a little
deeper than Donald's.

> Seriously, lets just calm down a bit, okay Ed?  Now then, please re-read
> my last paragraph.  I was just reporting the facts.  The laugh from the
> crowd was a spontaneous reaction to the speaker's remarks.  *I* had nothing
> to do with it, other than the fact that I was there.  I, for one, hope that

I guess you didn't make it very clear that you weren't one of those who found
this amusing.

> CA has a very tough quality assurance program.  As one who's micro experience
> started with the PET (then the VIC-20, C-64, A1000, and now B2000, and that's
> just the Commodore machines) I can fully understand if some users might think
> that QA hasn't exactly been Commodore's number one priority in the past.  The
> only resonable excuse I can come up with for your rather poorly directed flame
> is that you are new to the world of Commodore and unfamilar with it's history.

No, I guess as a C-64, C-128 and A1000 owner before joining Commodore I am very
unfamiliar with its "history".  I'm sorry, but when I was young I couldn't
afford to get a PET, but is was first on my list at the time, okay?  Oh yeah,
and that's just with Commodore products for me, too.

> Otherwise, why would you be so sensitive?  Nerve hit, perhaps??

Maybe this happens when people are dedicated and enjoy their work.  I hope you
can say the same.

> However, now that I seem to have your attention, I do have a suggestion
> for a "fresh prospective" that you and many other vendors could take
> advantage of.  I agree with you completely that what most vendors need
> is someone to provide them with a fresh prospective.  This is not always
> provided by an internal QA department, however.  As you alude to in your
> .sig file, QA departments are not always given the chance they need to do
> the job right.  And sometimes QA departments seem to be nothing more than
> "Yes Men", looking to keep some idiot of a manager happy.

All I can say to this is that we do our job as well as we're allowed to with
the manpower and resources we have available.

There, now I feel a little better.  I don't have to have the last word, so
reply as much as you like, I won't respond to this incident imparticular any
further.  However, I will still defend the rights of this and other QA
Depts everywhere as long as the need continues to arise....